Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Telly

gib

Go LCD, Philips 37PF9830 if you can afford it.

I hope they're an improvement over their Plasmas - saw one in Newport, two grand's worth of TV that wouldn't support 60Hz PAL signals!

Worth bearing in mind that some LCD sets allow the user to replace the fluorescent backlight tube, so if it goes you don't have to scrap the whole TV.

I'm currently looking for a new TV as well, and have opted for the LCD, because I only want 32", and also once HDTV is about, they'll look much better.

Currently considering the Philips 32" 9830, and the Sony Bravia V32, and for the life of me can't decide which one to get :duh:

If anyone has a preference of one over the other, I'd really like to know which and why :winky:

I'm currently looking for a new TV as well, and have opted for the LCD, because I only want 32", and also once HDTV is about, they'll look much better.

Currently considering the Philips 32" 9830, and the Sony Bravia V32, and for the life of me can't decide which one to get  :duh:

If anyone has a preference of one over the other, I'd really like to know which and why  :winky:

HI

If you want a 42" than buy a plasma, to use this size TV you should be seated 12 feet away or more from the unit. Plasma last about 10 years using them around 3-4 hours aday. Has mentioned before it must be HD ready which means it must be at least 1024 X 768 pixels or more and have an HD feed into it. If you are going to get Sky HD TV then your TV will need an HDMI input, some TV's also have an DVI input aswell but the first Sky boxes should also be able to connect using component connections. Sky HD TV should be available early 2006.

You get what you pay for with screens, if you can afford it the best Plasma on the market today is the Pioneer PDP-436XDE and then the Panasonic TH-42PV500 or cheaper Hitachi 42PD7200 are all HD ready and good in that order.

LCD TV is not as common on larger screens upto 37". These last a little longer around 15 years with the same usage. As mentioned early the Phillips 32 PF9830, Panasonic TX-32LXD500 or Hitachi 32LD7200 are all HD ready and good units.

Remember when you buy a tv you need to use good leads to get the best quality feed into your new tv and not some crappy cheap lead.

Hope this is of use go and look at the TV's and deceide which you like then look for a :mat: deal. If you need advice on leads let me know what you are considering and i will try and point you in the right direction for leads :D

Got a Panisonic ......... (cant remember) Virea one, had a few adverts on TV for them. 37 inch HD ready and a free DVD recorder.

Mine said it had upto 60,000 hours of use which is 27 years if watched 6 hours a day.

Remember if your gonna change your TV again soon (next few years) dont worry bout the HD as its only sky and only some of the sky channels that will have it in the next year or so. DVD will be the next 3-4 years and ntl next 4-5.

Thanks all

Plasma tellies are quite cheap at the moment certainly cheaper than LCD, which makes me think that the LCD is the better technology

I have always had Sony or Toshiba, but the more I read, the more I am told that you are paying for the name as opposed to picture or build quality.

Panasonic Samsung and LG seem to be very well rated - I have never liked Philips tellies

We will wait n see

I recently got a 50" 3LCD HD ready TV its rear projection but its very thin, but not wall hangable. the picture is stunning and just breathtaking with hi def stuff like the xbox 360 or a PC.

LCD's dont suffer from screen burn like plasmas can and sony have now stopped making plasmas. not sure why.

also my 50" tv with a stand is only £1400 rrp i got mine for £1120 bargain :)

I recently got a 50" 3LCD HD ready TV its rear projection but its very thin, but not wall hangable. the picture is stunning and just breathtaking with hi def stuff like the xbox 360 or a PC.

LCD's dont suffer from screen burn like plasmas can and sony have now stopped making plasmas. not sure why.

also my 50" tv with a stand is only £1400 rrp i got mine for £1120 bargain :)

All companies are stopping making plasmas soon as its cheaper to make LCD, go for a panasonic ive got 2 tv's and 2 dvd players and a home cinema kit buy them all very very good and never gone wrong.

In the end up to you fella usually what styling you want ( and the depth of your pocket)

I dunno about the expensive tellies but I bought a crown 32" lcd from woolies in September for £599 and it's brilliant! Yes I know it's not HD but wait for it....... it's in my kitchen and it does have 2 scarts, PC connection video & audio (yes!) and SVIDEO. For what I use it for I can't think of anything better, I am also working on the basis that terrestial will still be around up to 5 years anyway.

The best bit advice I can give is if you buy a LCD hang it on the wall, channel the walls out and hide those cables you will smile for months, look at mine:-

gallery_4479_162_10955.jpg

No cables, they're all in the end cupboard, the only advice I will give (as mentioned earlier), make sure you get the right scart or HDMI cables.

Oh and a really good plasterer won't go a miss either!

Sorry if a little off topic but if it was me going for a top of the range I'd go for a Samsung.

I dunno about the expensive tellies but I bought a crown 32" lcd from woolies in September for £599 and it's brilliant! Yes I know it's not HD but wait for it....... it's in my kitchen and it does have 2 scarts, PC connection video & audio (yes!) and SVIDEO. For what I use it for I can't think of anything better, I am also working on the basis that terrestial will still be around up to 5 years anyway.

The best bit advice I can give is if you buy a LCD hang it on the wall, channel the walls out and hide those cables you will smile for months, look at mine:-

No cables, they're all in the end cupboard, the only advice I will give (as mentioned earlier), make sure you get the right scart or HDMI cables.

Oh and a really good plasterer won't go a miss either!

Sorry if a little off topic but if it was me going for a top of the range I'd go for a Samsung.

Looks good mate.

I'm looking at LCD at the mo to hang on the wall above the fireplace, plan to convert the fireplace into a cupboard for the NTL box, DVD/video etc and run the cables up the chimney and through the wall.

Plasma is kind of rulled out because they do burn which is not a major problem unless you watch, say Sky Sports all the time and the logo will burn the screen. Also the life expectancy is lower and they are a lot heavier ASFAIK, heat can also be an issue with Plasma.

Need to make a decision soon as the widescreen CRT we have is underscanning and that is the first sign of "death to a dot".

Thanks all

Plasma tellies are quite cheap at the moment certainly cheaper than LCD, which makes me think that the LCD is the better technology

I have always had Sony or Toshiba, but the more I read, the more I am told that you are paying for the name as opposed to picture or build quality.

Panasonic Samsung and LG seem to be very well rated - I have never liked Philips tellies

We will wait n see

Plasma are cheaper to manufacture but have pretty much come to the end of their development. LCD are still being improved and prices are coming down as the market gets bigger.

I believe Sony are overrated, however they have good and bad products the same with Toshiba. One good thing about Sony, Philips and Toshiba is they invest a lot of money into R&D, bringing out new technology.

Philips CRT and LCD TVs have been winning award after award in the last few years. Doesn't really matter who makes the LCD (most are made by LG anyway) it's how it's driven and the digital processing that counts.