Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Advice Needed

Claire G

Long story, but any advice appreciated....

Sold my GS as I needed to get a 'sensible' family car ( :crybaby: ) and opted for a Y-reg Honda Stream 2.0, which I got through a Honda dealer on a dealer transfer (car was in N.Wales somewhere). We bought my husband's car the same way, through a different dealer and were very happy with the service.

I went to pick the car up a couple of weeks ago and identified some problems - basically scratches and small dents on the bodywork, middle seatbelt badly frayed etc. I agreed to take the car on the basis everything was sorted out as agreed when I chose to buy the car (basically sales guy promised that any problems, it would be sorted). I had to take the car there and then as I had a really important meeting to attend the next day and no way of getting there without the car.

I took the car back to the garage yesterday and to their credit they had sorted out most of the problems with the exception of some scratches on the nearside passenger door that they had missed.

However I took a better look through everything and discovered that the 'Full Honda Service History' was far from done by Honda. The fact it had a full Honda SH, that was one of the main reasons for choosing it above others. Now as long as the services have been done, that's fine, but my point is I paid for a car with FHSH. The car was also came with a 10 month MOT, but with the seatbelt being so badly damaged, I'm sceptical as to why it passed and are there likely to be other problems that were overlooked?

Do I have any financial come-back seeing that I took the car on condition of everything being sorted? The garage are saying that not having a FHSH doesn't affect the price, but I disagree. Does anyone know for sure (or have a good idea?). The car is a Y-reg with 46,000 miles on the clock and I paid £8,300 for it.

The dealership is ringing me back on Fri and I want to be armed with all the info I might need to be able to sort this out satisfactorily. I want to keep the car, but know I haven't paid over the odds and also that it's all ok. The garage are going to pay for an AA inspection to be done and will MOT the car when they get their licence in Jan.

Any advice as to where I stand legally, what avenues I should pursue etc? Should they refund the difference in price between a car with FHSH and without and how do I find that out or just push for some free services to be thrown in etc?

Basically, they will argue it doesnt effect resale, but you cant prove either which way.

However, you can argue the car was not as described, if they advertised as having a full Honda service history, and it doesnt, then that is false advertising, and you can get a full refund under the trade description act.

Make sure they know, you know this, and make them an offer, say, we both know it does have an impact, if not financial, then ease of sale, and perhaps not get money back, but get them to give you some extras (mats, storage stuff or something) as compensation

Thanks Ian, Barry.

I mentioned the fact it wasn't as advertised, but because it was advertised by another dealer they are saying it's nowt to do with them (even though they transferred the car and I paid them for it). Also, it was on their dealer network website, and I didn't have a copy of the ad.

the fact remains, you were told it has FHSH... and it doesnt..

you might want to talk to trading standards, but AFIK if you purchase something based on information either in an advert or are told verbally, and you find out this is false, you can return under the sale of goods act.

I think this is a 14 day period, but this is from a distant memory, that seems harder to access nowadays ;)

Just threaten them with Trading Standards, talk to Trading Standards in the meantime. I would think THEY are on very shaky ground and they know it. Whether it affects the price doesn't matter, there was a similar case on here a while back and I think the person got a replacement car for the same reason.

Good luck.

Full Service History means what it says. It does not state that a Honda franchise, Authorised garage carried out the work. On that note you have very little comeback with this, unless you have been told Honda carried out all the services.

The seat belt should not have gone through an MOT if frailed. Now that I would querry.

Goodluck with getting it sorted!

Thanks. They did specify a full Honda Service History. Waiting for a call back today!

cant believe u sold the GS claire :crybaby: i would have made an offer on that reflection that looks like a bonnet hump too :D did u leave instructions in the glovebox to make sure the new owner joins to keep the balance ;)

As to the service history hope it works out for you if you get trading standards involved most places will crumble unless they have a waterproof case. There has been a spate of dealers being dodgy recently and they could do with a scare or three.

the fact remains, you were told it has FHSH... and it doesnt..

you might want to talk to trading standards, but AFIK if you purchase something based on information either in an advert or are told verbally, and you find out this is false, you can return under the sale of goods act.

I think this is a 14 day period, but this is from a distant memory, that seems harder to access nowadays ;)

There is no time limit on the SOGA mate.

Claire,

Call consumer direct. http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/

I called them when I bought a Volvo S80 from a supermarket which had some defects with the suspension. Consumer Direct told me exactly where I stood with the law and told me what to write in the letter.

I wanted a full refund, which the dealer ummed and aahed about. I faxed the letter off to them, within 10 minutes, they had called to agree to the refund. Got my full refund, which I spent on the GS!

I cc'd the letter to BBC Watchdog too!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links