Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Gs Cutting Out Near Phone Masts?

I find this hard to believe but our local Newspaper carried a story yesterday about a phone mast causing certain immobilisers to kick in when the car is quite near.

The story was mainly about a lady with a brand new GS which was pictured. Lexus apparently can't find a fault with the car and it only happens when she is near this particular mast.

Is this Bunkem or can it happen?

If you are driving into Liverpool via the M62 and your car stalls at the very end of the Motorway then you could be a victim of the mast. It doesn't affect my GS but then again its old like me.

Could be possible.

My old Celica used to have a Clifford Alarm in it .....

and when I was at places like Airports ..... the alarm key fob wouldn't always work !

I thought it was the Battery that was dead .... but it was something in the air apparently ..... that's what the Clifford dealer told me !

Could be possible.

and when I was at places like Airports ..... the alarm key fob wouldn't always work !

I thought it was the battery that was dead .... but it was something in the air apparently ..... that's what the Clifford dealer told me !

Could have been love...........

Funny you mention you're alarm, Ive just had a new door bell installed at home, one of those wireless ones and upon looking/unlocking my car the door bell rings!!

Luckily you can change the frequency, did have its perks mind. Everytime I locked my car the door would be ready open for me :D

Could be possible.

I thought it was the battery that was dead .... but it was something in the air apparently ..... that's what the Clifford dealer told me !

Could have been love...........

Funny you mention you're alarm, Ive just had a new door bell installed at home, one of those wireless ones and upon looking/unlocking my car the door bell rings!!

Luckily you can change the frequency, did have its perks mind. Everytime I locked my car the door would be ready open for me :D

as long as your car isnt unlocked when you ring the doorbell :ohmy:

My microwave sets off my car alarm! I aint joking you!

And the other night coming out of the services, I was walking towards my car and there was a Merc beside my car with a woman passanger sitting in it minding her own business.

As soon as I used the key fob to unlock my car from about 5m away, it set off the alarm on the Merc and the woman inside nearly had a weakness lol

I dont know if it was my keyfob radiowave but literally as I unlocked my car the merc alarm went off at the same time.

Near the big TV relay tower in Hilversum my keyfob on the '99 IS doesn't work either. Some cars are affected and some aren't. Luckily it doesn't affect the immobilizer, thats a passive circuit in the key that just needs to be near the ignition.

Cheers,

RX-Men-8

I find this hard to believe but our local Newspaper carried a story yesterday about a phone mast causing certain immobilisers to kick in when the car is quite near.

The story was mainly about a lady with a brand new GS which was pictured. Lexus apparently can't find a fault with the car and it only happens when she is near this particular mast.

Is this Bunkem or can it happen?

If you are driving into Liverpool via the M62 and your car stalls at the very end of the Motorway then you could be a victim of the mast. It doesn't affect my GS but then again its old like me.

you would be surprised i know of two corsas (vauxhall i know) that had the same problem every time they went past a mobile phone aerial (orange box type thing) they would cut out. Never did know exactly what caused it but i believe some kind of electrickery was involved. Mind you if it does that to a car what is it doing to your head :o > At least i know where the voices come from now its picking up O2 on my fillings

My microwave sets off my car alarm! I aint joking you!

Quite believable - the movement sensor operates at 2.45GHz, the frequency used by microwave ovens. I wonder if dealers get problems with interaction between the cars on their lots.

My hard disk drives make the dog bark !! :D  - No Seriously !

So is this - hard drives make a lot of ultrasonic noise

Never had this in the car but had it happen several times with my motorbike but only when trying to unalarm it not when it's running.

A lot of service stations have telephone masts and because bikes have little in the way of bodywork they are often effected this way.

Last time I had to push my bike to the petrol part of the services before the alarm would disarm as did another chap who'd parked his bike near mine.

Never had this in the car but had it happen several times with my motorbike but only when trying to unalarm it not when it's running.

A lot of service stations have telephone masts and because bikes have little in the way of bodywork they are often effected this way.

The masts are often shared by many different services so it can be difficult to pinpoint the culprit. The worst are UHF transmissions from police/taxis/ham radio etc.

Some alarms are very badly designed. The better, modern, ones have a filter to keep out unwanted signals. If you have problems, it is worth trying to disarm by operating the fob close to the alarm antenna.

This doesn't explain the effect described in the original post, though.

Last time I had to push my bike to the petrol part of the services before the alarm would disarm as did another chap who'd parked his bike near mine.

Harley's are notorious for this, and the Harley dealers in Dorking is the worst, i've seen probably ten people have to push their bikes away from the shop to get them started. Last year I called in the opticians on my way home the shop is perhaps 1/2 mile from the house, came out bike won't un arm . I decided the Battery in the fob was flat and walked home to get the spare, no that don't work either . Start pushing get about 200 yards pushing 700 pounds is not easy, and it started. So somewhere near the opticians is a phone mast.

To add to this I have had what i thought was a sticking starter solenoid valve for a while but its been strangely intermittent, but i always get problems in a particular place. Yesterday i was there again and i had the bonnet up to jumpstart someones car. Lo and behold the car just gave the solenoid ticking sound and refused to turn over, somewhat frustrated i closed the bonnet and after 2 more attempts the car started albeit a little flooded. Jumped the car that required starting then shut off the engine opened the bonnet again and tried to start nothing nada zip. By now i was convinced someone has something electrical thats interfering especially as with the bonnet down the car starts, so i had a look around and noticed where i park there is a sky dish straight above the car. So its obviously a conspiracy by sky to stop my motor starting anyone else experienced this?

• 2 weeks later...
Some alarms are very badly designed. The better, modern, ones have a filter to keep out unwanted signals. If you have problems, it is worth trying to disarm by operating the fob close to the alarm antenna.

The problem with bikes is the lack of body work, even on faired bikes it's only a thin piece of plastic and the signal from the fob can be drowned out if your too close to a transmitter.

The other poblem is finding where they have situated the alarm box if you don't walways know in order to use the fob as close as possible.