Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wheel Bearings Gone, Front Driver Side

gsportcars

Hi folks,

I have noticed over the last week that my wheels bearings on the front driver side wheel have been steadily getting worse and worse with the sound of the wheel bearings going.

I have not hit the wheel or even driven the car excessively to warrant the bearings to go. I have got 19" wheels which I think may be the cause but I was wondering if anybody had this problem before???

I jacked the car up last night and give the wheel a wiggle to find that the bearings have at least 3-4mm of play when I shake the wheel :crybaby:

I am now not driving the car unless I have to until the bearings are replaced :blush:

Hi folks,

I have noticed over the last week that my wheels bearings on the front driver side wheel have been steadily getting worse and worse with the sound of the wheel bearings going.

I have not hit the wheel or even driven the car excessively to warrant the bearings to go. I have got 19" wheels which I think may be the cause but I was wondering if anybody had this problem before???

I jacked the car up last night and give the wheel a wiggle to find that the bearings have at least 3-4mm of play when I shake the wheel :crybaby:

I am now not driving the car unless I have to until the bearings are replaced :blush:

Camber kills wheel bearings... add some extra offset then it's bye bye bearing time!

I think the last time the wheel was put on it didn't fully straighten up against the disc for some reason. This caused it to wobble slightly but because it wobbled constantly it gave the bearing a bit of abuse. This is even worse at motorway speeds when the wheel is constantly vibrating. Although I didn't notice the vibration through the steering wheel in a straight line, I did notice it when turning very slightly to the left.

I will be cleaning the surface of the disc/wheel with a wire brush before I put the wheel back on and I will also check that the wheel/tyre is correctly balanced.

On another point, I was dissapointed to find that all the major bearing distributors here did not list a wheel bearing for the IS. The GS, LS and most other toyotas and Lexus' were listed but I had to go to the dealer to get the bearing for my car :angry:

This is at a cost of £58 + VAT :blink::angry::angry:

if the wheel wasnt on straight...you would have noticed in a straight line

what is the number on the bearing for future reference, as in the manufacture number, NOT lexus/toyota part number

Edited by Monster-Mat

The wheel deffo wasn't straight but it was only very slightly off. I could see the wobble with my head out the window while driving in a straight line. And it was deffo the wheel and not just the tyre :P

I haven't got the bearing out of the hub assembly yet as I lost my 32mm socket :blush: but I will let you know what the number is when I do.

BTW- do you know if the bearing needs to be pressed in/out???

The wheel deffo wasn't straight but it was only very slightly off. I could see the wobble with my head out the window while driving in a straight line. And it was deffo the wheel and not just the tyre :P

I haven't got the bearing out of the hub assembly yet as I lost my 32mm socket :blush:  but I will let you know what the number is when I do.

BTW- do you know if the bearing needs to be pressed in/out???

ye the bearing needs to be pressed out...and in, the number will be on the new bearing......

if the wheel was wobbling you would feel it before you saw it

I could feel it but only very slightly and when turning slightly. It was deffo not straight. The steering on the IS is slightly strange in that when you are straightening the wheel up after turning a corner you have to actually straighten the wheel by yourself so it is fully straight. whereas in most other cars the wheel will straighten up by itself practically all the way. I would hazard a guess that this is designed to be like this to give a smoother drive in the same way that the electronic throttle control is designed to do.

I also assume that this is why I couldn't feel the wobble when driving in a straight line and only when I was putting some pressure/force on the steering wheel by turning.............If you catch my drift.....LOL

But I am 100% certain that the wheel wasn't straight in any case.

I do not get the new bearing until wednesday morning so I will let you know the number then!!

Have one ordered already Dave as I need it asap.

very busy week this week and I need the car on the road badly.

I would also not trust the postman to deliver it from you in time as I am still waiting on several items from other places for weeks now.

Sorry man.

• 8 months later...
Matt- the number on the wheel bearing is 328VV07-86

It is made by Nachi-Japan

Hi gsportscars,

Did you manage to fix your wheel bearing, I think my IS300 needs one I'm getting the noise form the front drivers side wheel but there is no play that I can detect in the wheel yet.

Could this be something else?

How do you press the bearing in and out, do you need a special tool for this?

Cheers.

I have now fitted 3 wheel bearings in the one corner as they just kept going for some reason. I decided to fit a whole new hub assembly as I thing there may have been a flaw in the bearing carrier/hub.

So far it has not give anymore probs but I have only done about 100miles on the new hub.

• 2 years later...