Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Water In Fog Lights

wildrnes

• 2 weeks later...

I have recently purchased an IS200 (99 on a 'V') and the front offside fog light was out. Both foglights were full of a substantial amount of water. The offside light was a pig to get out because the clip was so filthy it would not come out. Got it out by remving the wheel arch splash guard partailly to find that the bulb housing was seriously corroded and the lamp will have to be written off and replaced as will the nearside one. There are vents in the splash guard which are allowing water to cover the lamps from behind and ruin them in time. Lexus say 'DO NOT COVER THEM THEY ARE FOR BRAKE COOLING'

Any suggestions for prevention when the new ones are eventually fitted would be helpful

I take it your car is a auto then mate,because a auto is the only model to have the vents in the wheel arch liner.This is why 95% of autos have fog lamps full of water

Part Numbers for Replacement Lamps

81210-53011 (Rh) 75.99+vat

81220-53011 (Lh) 75.99+vat

here is an idea to help prevent the bulb holders from corroding - i have the same trouble on mine and i dont have the vents in the splash guards.

YOU MUST BE CAREFUL WHEN DOING THIS!!!!!! wear protective clothing and dont burn yourself - no responsibility can be taken by myself or this website for any injuries however sustained.

Get a load of those little night light candles, remove the wick/metal base, melt the wax slowly over a low heat in a container such as a can.

Now when the wax is a liquid, get a paintbrush and apply it over the back of the holder, when the wax is still soft but not hot you can mould it to ensure you cover the whole area without leaving any gaps, this will form a waterproof and durable protective layer that you can remove easily when u need to.

i use something similar for certain positions on aircraft and it works fine ( obviously the wax is different)

cheers rob.

Get a load of those little night light candles, remove the wick/metal base, melt the wax slowly over a low heat in a container such as a can.

Now when the wax is a liquid, get a paintbrush and apply it over the back of the holder, when the wax is still soft but not hot you can mould it to ensure you cover the whole area without leaving any gaps, this will form a waterproof and durable protective layer that you can remove easily when u need to.

i use something similar for certain positions on aircraft and it works fine ( obviously the wax is different)

cheers rob.

I love hearing how you maintain aircraft Rob :o

OK heres the plan - when the new units arrive and are fitted I am going to coat the back of them with clear silicon bathroom sealer. The vents in the splash guards are there for a reason and it wouldnt do to cover them, I dont think.

The sealant will be waterproof and able to be peeled off to for new bulbs (blue vision me thinks) in the future.

I will careful not to cover the vent holes so they can breath and then hopfully will keep the condensation out of the units.

Ive only been on here for 4 days and have learnt more about the ups and downs of Lexus ownership than from any other sourse.

I am very gratful for all the comments and suggestions and will be going gold in the not too distant future. This is probably the best site I have come across for help from folks in the same boat.

Thanks all for your help

:shruriken:

im sorry,but i really dont think the auto......will generate that much more heat from the brakes ....than say.....mine,that the vented arch panels are that much needed.

yes i know you use the brakes more on an auto,but in comparison only around towns when your on / off them all the time,in which case slow speeds are :-

1) not going to generate the airflow

2) generate the heat build up

• 1 month later...

OK I'm new and don't even have a lexus yet but why don't you drill a small hole in the bottom of the Light encasement so the water just drains out. If it's small enough it won't even be seen. I've heard alot of people with different cars do this and it works. :ph34r:

• 2 months later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links