Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Is250 Registered In December Or January

saracen

Without boring everyone with the tale of ordering my new car, put simply it has not been straightforward. Anyway the car is now in the country and I was going to take delivery in Jan as I am away until then, but the dealer is asking me to register the car in December, presumably to boost their end of year totals, rather than in January when I pick it up.

I did mention that when I come to sell the car that it might make a difference in the price I get. They think it will be about £300 difference and to combat this they are going to Supaguard the car. Are they having a laugh or should I just tell them to register the car in Jan? Will it make a difference to the value of the car in three years when it comes to selling as it will still be a "55" either in December 05 or January 06.

I did mention that when I come to sell the car that it might make a difference in the price I get.  They think it will be about £300 difference and to combat this they are going to Supaguard the car. 

The cost price of Supaguard is around £50 - £60!! (Thats what the bodyshop I got my car done from said).

Definetly get the car registered in Janurary! :)

I was thinking that it would be better to have it done in January, I'm gonna tell them tomorrow to register it in January. Like you said why should I do them any favours?

Plus doing a quick search on here, Supaguard is not that great.

I was thinking that it would be better to have it done in January, I'm gonna tell them tomorrow to register it in January.  Like you said why should I do them any favours?

Glass's Guide sees no difference in value. A 55 reg will run from Sept 05 till march 06 and then it will be 06 from March to September 06. Then it will be a 56 from Sept 06 till March 07 etc etc. Effectively there are three different plates around in each calendar year. However there are still a lot of private buyers who would rather buy a car registered in a later year even if it is the same registration number so obviously it is better for you to wait until January. Ask them to take £250 off the car if they want a December registration. It just could be worth it to them if it earns a target bonus. If you trade the car in to a dealer in three years time it is unlikely to make any difference to what you are offered. As far as bulk of the the trade is concerned a 55 is a 55 is a 55 and so on.

I was thinking that it would be better to have it done in January, I'm gonna tell them tomorrow to register it in January.  Like you said why should I do them any favours?

As far as bulk of the the trade is concerned a 55 is a 55 is a 55 and so on.

However "06" registrations have been available since 12 December... so he could very easily take delivery now and have it on an 06 number plate.

L.

12th December for buying maybe, but you wouldn't be able to put it on a car until March 06.

Definately go for January reg Saracen. Lexus are trying to make the dealer hit their targets. Offer to pay early if they want but must register & tax january, then they can give you some freebies ;) You will be helping them !!

12th December for buying maybe, but you wouldn't be able to put it on a car until March 06.

Definately go for January reg Saracen. Lexus are trying to make the dealer hit their targets. Offer to pay early if they want but must register & tax january, then they can give you some freebies ;) You will be helping them !!

This is a good debate, and I agree with Steve on this one Saracen.

On a previous thread Mole mentioned that there are 3 "value" changes through the year, which in my book is year end, March and September, and assuming that a car like this will typically lose £2-3k a year, most of that will be in March and Sept (i.e. when the reg chages).

My Audi A4 (02/52) is dropping by £675 :sick: in value between December and January....and it's one car which holds it's value just about the best at the moment!

My advice would be get them to give you the £300 (i.e. Supaguard value) as a cash discount OR failing that take it in January (afterall, If I recall, they have messed you about with delivery already), then get some proper polish...and DIY...

Supaguard is overly hyped and not better than most "proper" polishes I have been told...

There's lots of talk about how well these cars are selling, but I have actually not seen one in the flesh (other than at dealers) yet on the road. So either they are all gonna hit the streets in January....March...or they are not selling that well!

When I got mine supaguarded, I also did a search and read that its not really all that great. My local bodyshop only charged me cost price for it at £50, so although it definetly is not worth the money at £300, for £50 its fantastic value. I have washed the car about three times since having it done and each time the car comes up looking just waxed. :)

Someone posted that it only really lasts 6 months , which for the price I paid for I can't go wrong, but for £300 - forget it!

Place I used is MCR in Manchester (Manchester Car Refurbishment Centre) :D

JANUARY

As for not seeing any Lexus IS250s I have been thinking the same thing - I havent seen any at all on the roads so far.

I know that having expressed an interest in the new Lexus the dealers have been jumping all over us. Also going to look at a Toyota for my other half the dealers have been looking desperate - there is tons of cars on forecourts

I would say that car sales are dire and have been for a while. Definitely a buyers market........

JANUARY

As for not seeing any Lexus IS250s I have been thinking the same thing - I havent seen any at all on the roads so far.

I know that having expressed an interest in the new Lexus the dealers have been jumping all over us. Also going to look at a Toyota for my other half the dealers have been looking desperate - there is tons of cars on forecourts

I would say that car sales are dire and have been for a while. Definitely a buyers market........

As mine was not gonna be ready until Feb anyway, I decided to wait until March and get the 06 plate, I personally feel that this will always appear a much younger car than a 55 a few years down the road. I understand the desire to get yours in January though....dunno If i can wait patiently either :crybaby: Incidentally after much arm twisting, I got supaguard, a weatherproof boot liner, and first service F.O.C from my tight arsed dealer - took 5 calls and 2 threats of cancelled order though :angry: A quick google for supaguard shows average cost for mid size exec car (interior and exterior) at approx £200 retail. Boot Liner is around £70, and service about £180...so with the extra £500 above guide price P/Ex for my old motor, I reckon to have "saved" around £950. Not spectacular on a car costing £32500...but I was warned that Lexus dealers are real tight to deal.

I could have got over a grand straight off the price of an X type, but 30 seconds into the test drive and it was all over for me! What a noisy, thirsty,quick depreciating Mondeo that is :blink:

"My Audi A4 (02/52) is dropping by £675  :sick: in value between December and January"

How do you know that? The trade guide for January has  not yet been published.

The bottom line is that the trade guide will be a guide only and will not always take seasonal/economic slump/ all market conditions into account...at the end of the day a car is only worth what people are prepared to pay...and how many are "glutted" around the country...

I tried several car traders/buyers myself, and they confirmed exactly what the Leicester Lexus told me...down to the nearest pound :yack: even though Leicester Lexus is part of the Sytner group (and they have 12 Audi dealerships too).

I tried to force Lexus Leicester to give something more reasonable, stating that they were selling it to one of their own Audi dealerships etc...but the answer back was that there are loads of cars like mine available, and they see no reason to buy this one for more when they can get one for a lot less.

In the end, I quoted "drivethedeal.co.uk" and managed to get a £1k reduction in the IS220d (base with MM and metallic)...so it's not too bad.

If I had traded my car early in December I would have got £9675 and that was the best price (it ranged from £7950 upwards - a real b****y bargain)...

However as it stands, I needed it for the whole of December and the early part of Jan for work...too much hassle and expense to hire cars etc. I thought it would be a doddle to sell it privately.... especially when the private ones in the condition mine is in (Immac) are all around the £10k-12k mark...

The selling it privately has been a total disaster...£10750 = 20 odd calls, one genuine buyer, but has to sell his C220CDI coupe first (and who in their right mind wants one of those...?), and the rest were canvassers...!

The predicted figure quoted in Dec for January for PX is £9000, March it would be closer to and less than £8500ish, but that's too far off to confirm, and that would have to wait until Feb for a price.... The beauty is that Lexus Leicester have been quite good overall...they have offered to take my car 7 weeks before mine arrives, pass it to the trade...the new year will have less travelling at the start, and I will make do with hire cars...

The car industry is clearly in a dire shape, and even though my Audi is a very sellable entity no one is willing to pay reasonable money for it...a bad time to be selling, and no one's got cash anyway!!

If the diesel is a bad one, I have been told I will get my deposit back...which is fantastic..confidence or what? Then I keep the Audi and wait for the new A4 in 2007 me thinks...

Heres the plug...

So if anyone wants it as a 2nd car/for a mate etc, PM me...I can send over some pics and the full spec (One owner from new (me), 02/52, 1.9TDI 130SE silver, Sony satnav, 6CD, Nokia, 46000 miles, FASH etc etc £2500 odd extra's in total.

"My Audi A4 (02/52) is dropping by £675  :sick: in value between December and January"

How do you know that? The trade guide for January has  not yet been published.

The bottom line is that the trade guide will be a guide only and will not always take seasonal/economic slump/ all market conditions into account...at the end of the day a car is only worth what people are prepared to pay...and how many are "glutted" around the country...

I tried several car traders/buyers myself, and they confirmed exactly what the Leicester Lexus told me...down to the nearest pound :yack: even though Leicester Lexus is part of the Sytner group (and they have 12 Audi dealerships too).

I tried to force Lexus Leicester to give something more reasonable, stating that they were selling it to one of their own Audi dealerships etc...but the answer back was that there are loads of cars like mine available, and they see no reason to buy this one for more when they can get one for a lot less.

In the end, I quoted "drivethedeal.co.uk" and managed to get a £1k reduction in the IS220d (base with MM and metallic)...so it's not too bad.

If I had traded my car early in December I would have got £9675 and that was the best price (it ranged from £7950 upwards - a real b****y bargain)...

However as it stands, I needed it for the whole of December and the early part of Jan for work...too much hassle and expense to hire cars etc. I thought it would be a doddle to sell it privately.... especially when the private ones in the condition mine is in (Immac) are all around the £10k-12k mark...

The selling it privately has been a total disaster...£10750 = 20 odd calls, one genuine buyer, but has to sell his C220CDI coupe first (and who in their right mind wants one of those...?), and the rest were canvassers...!

The predicted figure quoted in Dec for January for PX is £9000, March it would be closer to £8500ish, but that's too far off to confirm. The beauty is that Lexus Leicester have been quite good overall...they have offered to take my car 7 weeks before mine arrives, pass it to the trade...the new year will have less travelling at the start, and I will make do with hire cars...

The car industry is clearly in a dire shape, and even though my Audi is a very sellable entity no one is willing to pay reasonable money for it...a bad time to be selling, and no one's got cash anyway!!

If the diesel is a bad one, I have been told I will get my deposit back...which is fantastic..confidence or what? Then I keep the Audi and wait for the new A4 in 2007 me thinks...

Heres the plug...

So if anyone wants it as a 2nd car/for a mate etc, PM me...I can send over some pics and the full spec (One owner from new (me), 1.9TDI 130SE silver, Sony satnav, 6CD, Nokia, 46000 miles, FASH etc etc £2500 odd extra's in total.

Probably a silly question but is it an automatic by any chance?

Heres the plug...

So if anyone wants it as a 2nd car/for a mate etc, PM me...I can send over some pics and the full spec (One owner from new (me), 1.9TDI 130SE silver, Sony satnav, 6CD, Nokia, 46000 miles, FASH etc etc £2500 odd extra's in total.

No it's a manual 5 speed, the multitronic (CVT) type was not very good in the 1.9TDI when it came out in 2002...I can PM you some details if you want...?

Heres the plug...

No it's a manual 5 speed, the multitronic (CVT) type was not very good in the 1.9TDI when it came out in 2002...I can PM you some details if you want...?

I'm afraid I can only drive autos or manuals with ultra light clutches these days due to some problems with my left leg. I think that you have been really unlucky with your trade in. As you say, the A4 holds its value with the very best of them and I would have thought that you would at least have been offered book price for it. I have an IS300 SportX Navigator with 53K on an 02/02 plate for sale on commission with a trader friend and he hasn't had a sniff at £1K under book so far (£12.5K). What a market! :crying::crying:

There's lots of talk about how well these cars are selling, but I have actually not seen one in the flesh (other than at dealers) yet on the road. So either they are all gonna hit the streets in January....March...or they are not selling that well!

I have to agree although I am still going to have one but I must admit since the launch I have only seen one on the road, not including demonstrators.

Are they really selling that well?

The difference between a registration date of December and January should be absolutely minimal in terms of long term resale. If anything, the actual build date of the car is more important than the registration date. Overall though, the actual kilometres/miles done by the car and the overall condition of the car are far more important to the value of the car.

I have to agree although I am still going to have one but I must admit since the launch I have only seen one on the road, not including demonstrators.

Are they really selling that well?

I doubt they're selling that well...I don't think anyone has got the cash, but I expext a few more on the roads in March...

Also, as it came out in nov, I suspect loads are baing made for March delivery...January should see a few more on the road...but I think it's the same everywhere...

Can't sell my Audi at all...