Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Reverse Warning Sound

Tarmac

Howdy

I don't know if it's standard with the IS200, but when I engage reverse in mine, this *REALLY* annoying reverse warning sound comes on (like the sound a truck makes when it's reversing to warn people). Is there anyway to turn this off or disable it?

Cheers

Tar.

Howdy

I don't know if it's standard with the IS200, but when I engage reverse in mine, this *REALLY* annoying reverse warning sound comes on (like the sound a truck makes when it's reversing to warn people).  Is there anyway to turn this off or disable it?

Cheers

Tar.

not sure about disabling it, but the reason it sounds is because of the 6 speed gear-box and the fact that you could put it into 1st accidently (or vice versa). it is useful when you're in a hurry sometimes!!!

and yes.....it is a standard feature

i'm just as confused - save my what Monster???

a reverse siren like that is almost like stabilisers on a bicycle - it will be removed/disabled as soon as i find out how - i have many driving years under my belt in many different cars and it's never been a problem to remember the gear layout for me. mercifully ;)

Reason it's there is because there is no mechanism, apart from a slightly stronger spring to keep it out of reverse. I've been driving for nearly 30 years and have, on occasions, rammed it into reverse by accident.

Give me your registration number so I can be sure I'm not behind you when you try to grab 1st in a hurry :crybaby:

erm.. but in order to select reverse, you have to almost whack the gearstick over to the left and then up. anyway - i understand your point guys and accept it - there's no problem there. i'm merely asking now if anyone knows how to disable/remove it - that's all.

• Like 1

erm.. but in order to select reverse, you have to almost whack the gearstick over to the left and then up.

Yup but it can easily be done in a hurry to select 1st, trust me.

Would guess that if you get under the car you will find a switch on the gear box that closes when reverse is selected, unplug that and the noise will be gone as well as the reversing lights. Would not recommend it though.

Would guess that if you get under the car you will find a switch on the gear box that closes when reverse is selected, unplug that and the noise will be gone as well as the reversing lights. Would not recommend it though.

Or trace the noise back to the buzzer, and cut the power line. That way, you'll still have brake lights. You could even put a switch on it so you can re-instate it later. should you so desire....

Ian

i have many driving years under my belt in many different cars and it's never been a problem to remember the gear layout for me.  mercifully ;)

Leave the siren or these words will come back to haunt you.................

I totally agree. I hated the stupid beeping noise when I first got the car, but wouldn't be without it now (after accidentally selecting 1st on occasions).

Just buy louder speakers and turn them up :D

I can't see how you can accidentally put the car in 1st gear when selecting reverse. You literally have to push the gear knob left and then upwards, how on earth do you put the car in first instead? And to turn this on it's head, are you also stating that when in a rush you could accidentally put the car in reverse when selecting first gear?

Loads of other manufacturers have the same mechanism as the IS200 for reverse (take BMW 3 series for example), and they don't have the reverse gear engaged beep do they.

None the less the beep is annoying, especially if you have reversing sensors as I do.

So I agree with Tarmac it is annoying, can't see why you guys are getting funny with him, he only asked a simple question!

no one is getting funny, as has been stated IT IS possible to accidently select reverse.

and thats why people are advising not to remove the warning .

if you havnt accidently selected reverse, then thats good, but the day you do, you will be glad you can hear the audible warning

I can't see how you can accidentally put the car in 1st gear when selecting reverse. You literally have to push the gear knob left and then upwards, how on earth do you put the car in first instead?  And to turn this on it's head, are you also stating that when in a rush you could accidentally put the car in reverse when selecting first gear?

Loads of other manufacturers have the same mechanism as the IS200 for reverse (take BMW 3 series for example), and they don't have the reverse gear engaged beep do they.

None the less the beep is annoying, especially if you have reversing sensors as I do.

So I agree with Tarmac it is annoying, can't see why you guys are getting funny with him, he only asked a simple question!

I don't think anyone was being funny with Tarmac. It's up to him what he wants to do with his car. We were just thinking of his welfare.

I know what you're saying about sticking the car in 1st instead of reverse, but believe me I have done it. The cars I have driven before the Lexus all had some kinda mechanism like a lift up spring on the stick, or you had to push it down before selecting reverse. This is the first one where it remains on the same level as the other gears.

I've accidentally put the car into reverse a couple of times after paying on the M6 toll road. Its very easy to do as there is no mechanism to stop the gear lever going straight across and its the same as first gear. This was also with my stereo turned right up so i didn't hear the reverse warning. It ***** the life out of me, not as much as the bloke in the car behind though.

With the quick shift fitted you really have to give it a good push to get it across into reverse. So no more possible accidents :duh:

OK I take your point Mat, as the club chairman I ain't gonna argue with you and in your experience I can only take your word on this. Seriously still amazes me though how this could happen! Will have to keep an eye on the left hand technique then when putting her in reverse.

Perhaps some of you have stronger wrists than others, if you catch me drift !!

Glad nobody was getting funny with the guy on here.

Happy xmas.

OK I take your point as the club chairmand I ain't gonna argue with you Mat, seriously still amazes me though how this could happen! Will have to keep an eye on the left hand technique then when putting her in reverse.

Perhaps some of you have stronger wrists than others, if you catch me drift !!

Glad nobody was getting funny with the guy on here.

Happy xmas.

It's Christmas - let's get in the spirit :)

Hope you have a good 'un :D

i didn't think anyone was getting funny with me and appreciate all points of view, suggestions and warnings. i am still going to remove it because i'm used to driving cars that don't have a mechanism for blocking so it's a subconcious fear I have anyway. my teg has no such mechanism either and in the two years i've been driving it it's never been a problem.

again - thanks to all for your respective opinions and Happy Christmas! :) :)