Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is250 Problems

Tango

Has anyone else with a 250 had a problem with wind noise? When travelling at motorway speeds the car is exceptionally quiet except for tyre noise, which is very difficult to remove entirely and has been mentioned before. However, I also have wind noise which seems to come from the area around the top rear of the drivers door. I've checked the obvious things. the seals are all in place and the door is fitting flush with the door jamb but it still sounds like air is getting round the seals.

Anyone else got it? Lexus Bristol will be getting a visit in the new year and it would be handy to know if it's just mine or a typical fault with the new car.

Apart from that I'm really pleased with the car, although still familiarising myself with the intricacies of the voice activated satnav and Bluetooth telephone connection! Also like the ECT power switch, although not totally convinced as to what it actually does and whether it really is quicker on acceleration and hills. :huh:

is it not that the car is so quiet that the road and wind noise seem amplified

No, it's definitely a nuisance noise. I need to check out the passenger side as in theory it should be the same if the design and fit are identical.

I really need some feedback from others as to whether it's typical or not. If everyone has it then it's inherent in the design, but I have more faith in Lexus to believe that.

Can't say I have noticed wind noice at all, so could certainly be a local problem. The car is so quiet that extraneous noise can become more noticable, especially tyre noise on concrete surfaces. Worth getting it looked at by Lexus anyway.

I am also confused with the ECT; I thought it held the gear a bit longer before changing up. The User Manual is not very informative so can anyone enlighten me (us) on what it actually does?

Do you mean ETC? If so from Lexus website:

The principle behind ETCS-i is used on all modern racing cars and is sometimes called drive-by-wire. When you depress the accelerator peddle, the engine instantaneously receives an electroic signal demanding more power. By replacing the traditional, less efficient cable link between pedal and engine, ETCS-i can provide better fuel economy, faster responses and smoother acceleration.

Has anyone else with a 250 had a problem with wind noise? When travelling at motorway speeds the car is exceptionally quiet except for tyre noise, which is very difficult to remove entirely and has been mentioned before. However, I also have wind noise which seems to come from the area around the top rear of the drivers door. I've checked the obvious things. the seals are all in place and the door is fitting flush with the door jamb but it still sounds like air is getting round the seals.

Anyone else got it? Lexus Bristol will be getting a visit in the new year and it would be handy to know if it's just mine or a typical fault with the new car.

Apart from that I'm really pleased with the car, although still familiarising myself with the intricacies of the voice activated satnav and bluetooth telephone connection! Also like the ECT power switch, although not totally convinced as to what it actually does and whether it really is quicker on acceleration and hills.  :huh:

Yeah I noticed a bit of wind noise from top rear corner of the driver's door. Nothing major and not really loud enough to cause a nuisance, but it is there. I was going to try lubricating the door seals a bit when I get some free time and give it a run out to test.

Apart from that I'm really pleased with the car, although still familiarising myself with the intricacies of the voice activated satnav and bluetooth telephone connection! Also like the ECT power switch, although not totally convinced as to what it actually does and whether it really is quicker on acceleration and hills.  :huh:

Yeah I noticed a bit of wind noise from top rear corner of the driver's door. Nothing major and not really loud enough to cause a nuisance, but it is there. I was going to try lubricating the door seals a bit when I get some free time and give it a run out to test.

Thanks for that. Has everybody got a raised portion on the door seal in that area? It's like a raised harder 'bump' moulded into the seal and seems to be deliberate to fit with the door shape. There's also an additional blade seal on the door pillar, presumably as a further measure against wind noise, so I'm surprised I can hear anything. I'll see if Lexus can sort it tomorrow.

Mine's quiet as a mouse - any obvioous wind noise that stands out from general atmosphric wind noise is a problem that needs looking at.

ECT-i stands for electronic-control-transmission-intelligent and is linked to the throttle pedal.

When activated, it sharpens and quickens the gearchanges when in sport/paddle shift mode, and holds a gear longer after sudden lift off before changing up if in normal auto mode - usefull when trying to overtake somthing but are forced to hesitate for a moment.

Mine's quiet as a mouse - any obvioous wind noise that stands out from general atmosphric wind noise is a problem that needs looking at.

ECT-i stands for electronic-control-transmission-intelligent and is linked to the throttle pedal.

When activated, it sharpens and quickens the gearchanges when in sport/paddle shift mode, and holds a gear longer after sudden lift off before changing up if in normal auto mode - usefull when trying to overtake somthing but are forced to hesitate for a moment.

Thanks Mole. It's bloody annoying when the rest of the car is so quiet. I've checked the door fit and it's flush, but as I don't know the amount of squeeze required on the seal it could just need a fraction more.

anybody got the definitive answer?

Result after taking the car back to Lexus Bristol and a run down the bypass to authenticate my complaint was to fit new seals for both front doors. The original seals didn't appear to be seating correctly around the top rear section of the doors.

Don't know yet if this will cure the problem as the seals are coming from Belgium, and ETA is January 03rd. :duh:

Will be very interested to hear results........not good omen on new car !!

New seals fitted to both front doors on 03rd January and noticed I had to push slightly harder to close the doors so the new rubber has made a difference.

Little or no wind noise up to the legal limit whilst driving back from the dealership on the M5, but progressively noisier at speeds above and beyond :huh:

Am I being too picky here? The car is amazingly quiet so perhaps the wind noise is accentuated.

Anyone else with the IS250 please care to comment?

I'm currently in the States so I'll be trying to con the Lexus dealership here to let me drive the 350 again just to make a comparison... but this time on noise not power :D .

Running-in my 250-sel Auto so only been up to 90mph & zero wind-noise.

Terry. :

Well providing you're not deaf as a post then I've still got the problem :crybaby:

Lexus have no (other) reports of similar problems in the UK but welcome the feedback and will do their utmost to resolve it. Can't believe I've got the only IS250 SE-L Auto made to date with the problem :angry:

I too have an SE-L MM but have not noticed any significant wind noise. I usually have the stereo on so that might be why. I'm doing some motorway driving today so will have a good listen. That is if the other half can keep quiet for 10 minutes. :shutit:

Apart from that I'm really pleased with the car, although still familiarising myself with the intricacies of the voice activated satnav and bluetooth telephone connection! Also like the ECT power switch, although not totally convinced as to what it actually does and whether it really is quicker on acceleration and hills. :huh:

Only just seen this post. I have the same problem, usually when I hit 80mph plus...the level of wind noise is quite bad. Please let me know if you have any joy.

Thanks

Apart from that I'm really pleased with the car, although still familiarising myself with the intricacies of the voice activated satnav and bluetooth telephone connection! Also like the ECT power switch, although not totally convinced as to what it actually does and whether it really is quicker on acceleration and hills. :huh:

Only just seen this post. I have the same problem, usually when I hit 80mph plus...the level of wind noise is quite bad. Please let me know if you have any joy.

Thanks

Gillo,

Lexus Bristol called me and are keen to fix the problem. To ensure it's not just me being picky (I work as a Quality & Reliability Consultant, why else would I own 2 Lexus :rolleyes:), I am trying to arrange a test drive in a 350 or 250 here in the States to see if they have the problem. Failing that I'll check another 250 when I get back to the UK early next month. Either way I'll post the result on the forum.

I can't say I noticed any adverse wind noise on my trip over the weekend. Admittedly I did not take the car over 80mph. A second opinion from my front seat passenger confirmed what I thought.

Sorry Tango...

I can't say I noticed any adverse wind noise on my trip over the weekend. Admittedly I did not take the car over 80mph. A second opinion from my front seat passenger confirmed what I thought.

Sorry Tango...

Don't be sorry...good feedback. What was the answer on your original noise problem, duct tape? :D

I know how you feel. I have a noise problem with my gs300 but it appears to be falling on deaf EARS.

Keep up the pressure. :tomato: Best of luck

I have some wind noise from the drivers door at high speed 70mph + but not sure if I am being super sensitive to noises after reading stuff on here, and it being a very quiet interior.

My passenger reported a knocking sound from the seat belt pillar. I got them to drive me and I heard it, just behind the height adjustment. No amount of adjusting and twiddling has fixed it so when my car is back in for replacement dash (due to Lexus dealer man handling) I'll raise this too.

Don't really want them pulling more panels off after the disaster with them fixing the rattle from the dash. Grrr :tsktsk: