Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tyre Direction

Hope all you guys had a good christmas.

Sorry for this newbie type post, but I was unfortunate yesterday to have my tyre punctured (is200sport 52 plate /17" bridgestone potenza only a few hundred miles old) by a big nasty bolt.

Anyways I put the spare tyre on which is a proper tye (i.e. not a space saver) and the alloy is identical to the rest. The spare has some brand new unused 17" bridgestone

potenza tyre on it.

However the tyre that got punctured was the front driver one and the spare tyres rotation is in the opposite direction (the arrow sgn) I was wodnering if this makes too much difference or will it be fine to drive it around like that. I tend to do most of milage on motorways.

Also once i get the damaged tyre punctured repaired should i put it back on?

thanks in advance.

Sorry for this newbie type post, but I was unfortunate yesterday to have my tyre punctured (is200sport 52 plate /17" bridgestone potenza only a few hundred miles old) by a big nasty bolt.

Anyways I put the spare tyre on which is a proper tye (i.e. not a space saver) and the alloy is identical to the rest.  The spare has some brand new unused 17" bridgestone

potenza tyre on it. 

However the tyre that got punctured was the front driver one and the spare tyres rotation is in the opposite direction (the arrow sgn)  I was wodnering if this makes too much difference or will it be fine to drive it around like that. I tend to do most of milage on motorways.

thanks in advance.

I had the same problem a couple of months back, plenty of tread on the spare but the wrong direction. I wouldn't recommend driving in the wet with it the wrong way, best thing is to get the punctured one repaired/changed asap.

I waited a day for the roads to become dry again before driving on my spare. If you must drive in the wet just take it nice a slow, try not to drive on the motorway above 60.

Lee.

Same issue on my car. I wondered why my full sized spare had an 80 kph sticker on it (just like space savers). It can only be for the reason you have highlighted, to warn to drive slowly, just in case the rotation is wrong. Of course if it isn't, then there is no restriction to driving, as long as the spare is the same make/model as the one on the opposite side of the axle.

Happy new year.

IanB. :D

Same issue on my car. I wondered why my full sized spare had an 80 kph sticker on it (just like space savers). It can only be for the reason you have highlighted,  to warn to drive slowly, just in case the rotation is wrong. Of course if it isn't, then there is no restriction to driving, as long as the spare is the same make/model as the one on the opposite side of the axle.

Happy new year.

does not need to be the same make/model

just size and type !

Same issue on my car. I wondered why my full sized spare had an 80 kph sticker on it (just like space savers). It can only be for the reason you have highlighted,  to warn to drive slowly, just in case the rotation is wrong. Of course if it isn't, then there is no restriction to driving, as long as the spare is the same make/model as the one on the opposite side of the axle.

Happy new year.

just size and type !

Yeh I got the punctured tyre repaired, howver one guy at the garage was saying that it needed a new one while the other said it was fine.

So I am leaving the spare on (since its a a normal alloy identical) but Im gonna get the garage to turn the tyre the other way so the rotation is correct.

I was told once by a Kwik-fit that they do not advise turning a tyre around on the alloy. They didn't give a reason, and I didn't question it as they could repair the puncture and then swap it for the spare I had on (with a directional tyre on the wrong way round) for free.

just size and type  !

I disagree. Different threads dissipate water from the road contact surface differently from each other, and if the threads are different on the each side of the car, then the car's behaviour on wet/snowy surfaces could become unpredictable and even dangerous...

And even if two different tires' size markings would match (i.e. 215/45-17), there's still slight variation amongst different manufacturers, so it could well be the case that those two tires' diameter still isn't the same. In that case, two different size tires on the rear axle (on RWD car, of course) would ruin your LSD in no-time!

Anyways I put the spare tyre on which is a proper tye (i.e. not a space saver) and the alloy is identical to the rest.  The spare has some brand new unused 17" bridgestone

potenza tyre on it. 

However the tyre that got punctured was the front driver one and the spare tyres rotation is in the opposite direction (the arrow sgn)  I was wodnering if this makes too much difference or will it be fine to drive it around like that. I tend to do most of milage on motorways.

thanks in advance.

This happened to me last week and I called the RAC out to swap the tyres. When he saw that the spare was non-directional and the other tyres were, after he had put on the spare he made me sign a written warning to the effect that I must proceed immediately to the nearest tyre dealer and must not enter the motorway and must not exceed 30mph. In his view, having a non-directional and a directional on the same axle was dangerous. I'd guess the same goes for having one of your directional tyres facing the wrong direction.

I believe that it can have a catastrophic effect if it is wrong. I am not an expert in this field, but am using as much of my logic here...bear with me!

You only have to look at the tyre tread, and how it is made.

For example, some tyres have a "V" type pattern (Dunlop SP Sport), which is supposed to be better in the wet, and the tyre manufacturers have allegedly made a tyre that works at it most efficient with the pattern in a certain direction... Now what if you turn the tread the other way, how does it perform? Who knows...especially if all of the other tyres are "facing" in a different direction...?

Where tyres have "straight" patterns, sometimes the width of each "line" in the tread is different across the tyre e.g. more rubber towards the outer shoulder, sometime a different pattern in each line. If the tyre was fitted the wrong way round, there could be less rubber towards the outer shoulder where the tyre will take the greatest amount of force during cornering.

I would not play this game and get it sorted immediately - have to agree with Mr. RAC and spOck!!

Driven 150k. in 4 Lexi 200/300's from 2000 to present day & unidirectional tyres Must be fitted correctly as handling is scary at high speed & in the wet.On my new 250SEL Auto Lexus has erased this possible error by supplying a Space Saver!!!

Terry. :driving:

Took it to a garage. They actually said to me that the Potenza tyre (remember this tyre is made specficallly by bridgestone for the IS200) is such that it wont make much difference if the direction is correct. He was a safe guy, then proceeded to show me som absolutely crazy tyres where the direction really does matter and that in some cases would fail the MOT if they were not lined up. I reckon this tyre the direction is really specific if your driving in the wet.

I got my tyre taken off the alloy and put on the right way round.

just size and type  !

I disagree. Different threads dissipate water from the road contact surface differently from each other, and if the threads are different on the each side of the car, then the car's behaviour on wet/snowy surfaces could become unpredictable and even dangerous...

And even if two different tires' size markings would match (i.e. 215/45-17), there's still slight variation amongst different manufacturers, so it could well be the case that those two tires' diameter still isn't the same. In that case, two different size tires on the rear axle (on RWD car, of course) would ruin your LSD in no-time!

i agree with you

i was merely quoting the legal implications