Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I've just got my first ls400 but its a japanese import 1996 model

Everything seems to be great and the drive is brilliant but just got a few questions if anybody can help.

1. Can you replace the japanese buttons on either side of the sat nav screen

2. what does the little red button do near the shifter

3. how can i get a new key as mine wont open the glove box or boot

4. does anybody know how to replace the tape deck bulb.

Any help would be great.

by the way how do you upload pictures?

I've just got my first ls400 but its a japanese import 1996 model

Everything seems to be great and the drive is brilliant but just got a few questions if anybody can help.

1. Can you replace the japanese buttons on either side of the sat nav screen

2. what does the little red button do near the shifter

3. how can i get a new key as mine wont open the glove box or boot

4. does anybody know how to replace the tape deck bulb.

Any help would be great.

by the way how do you upload pictures?

See another thread current about the key! It's a 'Valet' key; the MAIN key will open everything. If you've got the key number, perhaps lexus will get you another? Boot obviously opens from inside (also), but only with engine switched off.(Pull switch by right knee.)

The Hi-Fi! Look around on this site,there are threads about hi-fi lighting (though I thought it was only ser 1,2+3 that had fade problems. Perhaps, you lucky s++d, it IS just a bulb!)

Sat nav on a '96? Is it same as ser 4? Do you need a translation of the buttons?(Oh, the red button? It's the James Bond ejector seat button.......though on my ser 4, it's black and sez Shift lock overdrive!)

Does the car have Air suspension?

Firstly, well done, good luck and enjoy..... you will.

Perhaps you will find that any "spare" keys you have will open the glove box and boot. One of the spares could be the master rather than another valet key.

Chris, WHY "only" when the engine is off, eg: I drop the kids off, they get out, I have to switch the engine off just to open the boot, seems "silly".

"shift lock overide" for those that don't know (and it took me a while to work it out" means you can take it out of park without putting your foot on the brake. The safety feature is that from park you are going through reverse and when cold the motor idle is high and the car could lurch back (into another car or run over a person loading the boot). so best to have your foot on the brake, rather than use this switch.

Yes the Sat Nav is the same as ser 4 but it also has a built in TV.

Obviously the Sat Nav doesnt work but you can get a Hide away unit which uses the same touch screen.

I was only given the one key, Where would i find the key number?

Yes it also has air suspension and it works!!

Thanks for the reply about the red button, i dont think i'll be using that much.

The boot does open even when the car is running, it has a lock near the latch which you either lock or open with your key when locked it locks the boot when open you can open the boot when car is running. Must be safety feature when you leave the car.

I have found a place on the internet who can replace all the japanese buttons to english but they are somewhere south of London :duh:

Firstly, well done, good luck and enjoy..... you will.

Perhaps you will find that any "spare" keys you have will open the glove box and boot.  One of the spares could be the master rather than another valet key.

Chris, WHY "only" when the engine is off, eg: I drop the kids off, they get out, I have to switch the engine off just to open the boot, seems "silly".

"shift lock overide" for those that don't know (and it took me a while to work it out" means you can take it out of park without putting your foot on the brake.  The safety feature is that from park you are going through reverse and when cold the motor idle is high and the car could lurch back (into another car or run over a person loading the boot).  so best to have your foot on the brake, rather than use this switch.

Well (Boot opening...) I always assumed that it was to stop car jackers/thieves....though, thinking better, how I expected them to get at the boot without a key........ (As Lexus are US aimed, and I got used to cars auto-locking over there over 5 mph to stop assaults! Who'd want to live there??!!)

So perhaps I should investigate the locking facility next to the switch further!

THere have been quite a few incidents of (old folk mainly) driving into walls...or worse) when the auto choke was on at start-up increasing revs as you pointed out.

No not being age-ist, as I'm closing in on 60! Now, where did I leave my glasses.....Happy New Lexus year. Watch out for my ser 3 LS 400 in the 'For Sale' section soon! :D