Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi All,

I'm considering a 1998 Mark IV at the moment, but my only doubt is that it has the Dynamic Handling Pack.

I'm pretty fussy about the ride in my cars, so I just wanted to see if anyone has driven a Mk IV with and without and can give me an impression of the differences.

My fear is that there will be more road noise because of the lower profile tyres and a much harder ride because of the different springs and suspension.

The dealer said that he can't tell much difference with the ride between the two and that Lexus wouldn't do anything to ruin the comfort of the car?

I know that the best advice is that I should drive both and make up my own mind, but I would also really appreciate what you guys think about it...

Thanks,

Robert.

Haven't driven but have read reviews. I would speculate that DHP wouldn't turn the LS into a 7 series, but it would make the car feel less "floaty". Putting wider, lower profile tyres on any car will make some difference to the ride quality compared with the regular wheels. Don't expect it to be as smooth riding as the standard model.

I decided against buying one with the DHP as I wanted the most comfortable ride possible - but then I'm a Citroen man too, so that's not surprising.

To me, the DHP appeared irrelevant to an LS. I mean, it's not the sort of car you want to go chucking around corners is it...? I did test-drive one at low speeds only and there was more 'rumble' apparent.

Having said that, the 'normal' set up can be somewhat 'floaty' at times, which probably unnerves drivers more used to a firmer set-up.

I guess it's all down to personal taste!

Cheers

Graham.

I decided against buying one with the DHP as I wanted the most comfortable ride possible - but then I'm a Citroen man too, so that's not surprising.

To me, the DHP appeared irrelevant to an LS. I mean, it's not the sort of car you want to go chucking around corners is it...? I did test-drive one at low speeds only and there was more 'rumble' apparent.

Having said that, the 'normal' set up can be somewhat 'floaty' at times, which probably unnerves drivers more used to a firmer set-up.

Cheers

Graham.

Hooray!! Another Citroen man! Welcome! I was in CCC for 24 years, until the LS 400. (And still love the DS23) I have a Ser 4 as you cansee, but can't comment on the Handling pack one. The 'normal' one is fine though. Never felt it handled badly, and the VSC is why I bought it.

(And I still have my Ser 3 as a comparison (FOR SALE everyone!!) which I think rides smoother with no less power.)

:D

Cheers

Graham.

Hooray!! Another Citroen man! Welcome! I was in CCC for 24 years, until the LS 400. (And still love the DS23) I have a Ser 4 as you cansee, but can't comment on the Handling pack one. The 'normal' one is fine though. Never felt it handled badly, and the VSC is why I bought it.

(And I still have my Ser 3 as a comparison (FOR SALE everyone!!) which I think rides smoother with no less power.)

:D

hi graham

ive had a r reg mk 1V without the dhp which was very nice,but am now running a s reg mk1V with the dhp which is a far better car(soon to be changed for ls430)the ride and handling is so much better and fuel consumption is unaffected(30+ mpg on long runs)

if you want to have a ride in my car then you are very welcome im on the east coast of lincolnshire

Dave

hi graham

ive had a r reg mk 1V without the dhp which was very nice,but am now running a s reg mk1V with the dhp which is a far better car(soon to be changed for ls430)the ride and handling is so much better and fuel consumption is unaffected(30+ mpg on long runs)

if you want to have a ride in my car then you are very welcome im on the east coast of lincolnshire

Dave

Verrry interesting!

'Ride better' how exactly? more responsive? But does it ride harder? etc....

Funnily enough JellyBean, I prefer the standard Mk4 wheels to the DHP ones. But both are huge improvements on the Mk3 wheels!

Thanks Dave J for the offer of a drive of your car. As it happens, I am up in Grantham, Lincolnshire on Friday 13th for a shoot with Classic Cars magazine (they're photographing my Citroen SM for a feature) so maybe you could pop over with it to relieve my boredom? :P

Funnily enough JellyBean, I prefer the standard Mk4 wheels to the DHP ones. But both are huge improvements on the Mk3 wheels!

Thanks Dave J for the offer of a drive of your car. As it happens, I am up in Grantham, Lincolnshire on Friday 13th for a shoot with Classic Cars magazine (they're photographing my Citroen SM for a feature) so maybe you could pop over with it to relieve my boredom?  :P

hi

the dhp makes the car hold the road much better and the steering is much more positive at all speeds,another noticeable difference is that at high motorway speeds on very windy days the car is much more stable

at very low speed you can hear slight tyre noise and a touch more bumps felt on poor roads but in my opinion the dhp is worth every penny!!

recent trip from scotland-home 490 miles,some heavy traffic/holdups/snow i got 31mpg,was doing 90+mph on motorway!!

anybody wanting to try an ls 400 with a dhp just give me a call on 07970 035550

as your all very welcome to have a go!!!!

regards

Dave

ps latest sat nav disc is a great improvement as well

I'm pleased to say that I can now add reply to my own post about the Dynamic Handling Pack as I traded in my Mk I yesterday and bought a 1998 R Reg Mk IV in Kensington Green with the Handling Pack. :D :D :D

Any concerns I had about a hard or bumpy ride are now gone. I drove about 150 miles (M25 + back roads) from the dealer yesterday afternoon and the car is fantastic! I haven't driven a Mk IV with the normal suspension setup, but the ride is so smooth yet with very little body roll.

To be quite honest I haven't really taken it all in yet as I'm in a bit of shock - the car is such an upgrade to my old ride that things are going to have to sink in. I'll post something in the next few days with my impressions of the car and hopefully a few pics.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm pleased to say that I can now add reply to my own post about the Dynamic Handling Pack as I traded in my Mk I yesterday and bought a 1998 R Reg Mk IV in Kensington Green with the Handling Pack. :D :D :D

Any concerns I had about a hard or bumpy ride are now gone. I drove about 150 miles (M25 + back roads) from the dealer yesterday afternoon and the car is fantastic! I haven't driven a Mk IV with the normal suspension setup, but the ride is so smooth yet with very little body roll.

To be quite honest I haven't really taken it all in yet as I'm in a bit of shock - the car is such an upgrade to my old ride that things are going to have to sink in. I'll post something in the next few days with my impressions of the car and hopefully a few pics.

Good to know that. Looks like I might have to get me one!

Hello Robert,

Have had the BMW 740i and now an LS 400 with DHP. The DHP gives a much harder ride where the roads are not good. Further there is less travel on the suspension. The only stadard tyre that fits is a Pirelli assymetric. So, you get a harder sharper feel but trade off that limousine ride. All down to personal choice. For me I will like the ride of the BMW 740 on the Lexus as I prefer the smoother ride. Next best thing for smooth ride is the standard LS with the advantage of having a wide choice of tyres.

Lukas :D

Hi All,

I'm considering a 1998 Mark IV at the moment, but my only doubt is that it has the Dynamic Handling Pack.

I'm pretty fussy about the ride in my cars, so I just wanted to see if anyone has driven a Mk IV with and without and can give me an impression of the differences.

My fear is that there will be more road noise because of the lower profile tyres and a much harder ride because of the different springs and suspension.

The dealer said that he can't tell much difference with the ride between the two and that Lexus wouldn't do anything to ruin the comfort of the car?

I know that the best advice is that I should drive both and make up my own mind, but I would also really appreciate what you guys think about it...

Thanks,

Robert.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, my first post here for a while. I have had my 1999 LS400 for almost a year now. It is just a fantastic car but the one thing I wish was different would be that it did not have the DHP. I do find it very noticeable on bumps in the road, and there seem to be lots of those around here!

Haven't driven the "normal" car much to compare but I believe that this one does handle better with the DHP. Just that I would prefer the extra comfort to the sportiness, being a bit older than I was . . .

Still a pretty darn comfy ride of course, these things are all relative. Like someone said earlier, it comes down to personal preference. But I do sometimes ponder trading for a "normal" model. If anyone is interested in buying a DHP model, let me know. It might just make my mind up!

Hi guys, my first post here for a while. I have had my 1999 LS400 for almost a year now. It is just a fantastic car but the one thing I wish was different would be that it did not have the DHP. I do find it very noticeable on bumps in the road, and there seem to be lots of those around here!

Haven't driven the "normal" car much to compare but I believe that this one does handle better with the DHP. Just that I would prefer the extra comfort to the sportiness, being a bit older than I was . . .

Still a pretty darn comfy ride of course, these things are all relative. Like someone said earlier, it comes down to personal preference. But I do sometimes ponder trading for a "normal" model. If anyone is interested in buying a DHP model, let me know. It might just make my mind up!

Phew! I was getting worried there! Having a 'normal' Ser 4!

But having just wafted across town in supreme comfort, am reassured.

But then, I am just as happy in my -still here!- Ser3! :whistling:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I am the guy who did DHP spec for LS 400. For reference - Spring rate + 10% only, Height -10mm all round, rear anti roll bar + 1mm to aid turn in. Tyres Pirelli P Zero 245/50x17 Jaguar spec( XK8?).

No change to dampers. Car was done to please Lexus MD, but dealers liked it so we began to sell it !

Ride wasn't bad, but clearly firmer than std. Any other tyre make much worse.

If you want ride quality back, just fit standard springs again.

Note- front suspension quite close to bump stoppers, so ride will suffer if springs have sagged with time.

Hope this helps.

Verrry interesting! Do the Pirellis cause more road noise? (Can you GET Dunlops in that size?) I guess it depends on what you want from a car this size. Is it bought by folk who want the comfort? Can't see TOO many sub-30s BMW aspirants after a LS 400, so 'dynamic' handling not so much a priority. Anyway, the standard car handles pretty well already, in the odd times, post United win, when elated I whizz home a bit more 'dynamically' from the pub...sorry, TV lounge. :)

Poor old series two for me.....

Changed to Lexus 17" wheels and Pirelli P Zero's from std.

Tyres are 235/45/17......recommended pressure front 40psi [2.7] ..52 psi rear [3.5 bar]

I found these gave a slightly harder ride 'cos of the lower profile, might be my imagination but they seem to improve when warmed up.

Tyre noise not much different, for me, tyre noise virtually nil on a bit of decent road.....have you

looked closely at some of the roads?

Third world quality, 90% of the time.. :sick:

How brilliant to get that kind of information on the DHP.

CDM - do you have a recommendation on the optimal tire pressure? The Lexus dealers and call centre don't appear to have any info.

When I collected mine from the dealer the tires were 30psi all round. I found that this caused serious tramlining so have gone for 35psi front and back which does seem to suit a lot better, but I would really like an expert opinion.

I've got Pirelli P Zero Asymmetrico's all round and normally it's just me in the car or 1 passenger and I do normally keep below 100mph! (except on the Autobahn of course :whistling: )

Well, if you ever get down to Bristol (I'm very near Avonmouth Junction 18 M5) give me a call and we can test each car out! Mine being 'normal' yours DHP.

0117 9824228

CDM - fascinating info, thanks for that. I have a few follow up questions, if you don't mind:

1 How expensive a job is it to change to standard springs, and would it make a noticeable difference to the ride comfort?

2 I quite often hear a sort of "squeak" from the front suspension, for example if I go over a speed bump at even quite modest speeds. Does that sound like the issue you are referring to, maybe needs new springs?

3 Like Robert, I have the Asymmetrico tyres (the only choice available in the UK, as far as I can tell). Are they the same as the ones you mentioned in your post? I think they are a bit noisier than normal Series IV tyres (though no trouble on a smooth road!) and I have noticed some tramlining from time to time.

4 Confirmation of recommended tyre pressures would be great. My local Lexus dealer thought they should be 31 so that's what I go with.

Thanks for any further information!

Chris