Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mp3 Player

Rob's Lexx

righty o guys, i'm after an mp3 player that im intending on using in my car (via aux in adapter). BUT....don't know which one to buy.

obviously, i've looked into the ipod (photo and nano) and the new sony, but still can't decide. they all appear to be just as good as each other. what's more, there's loads of other brands out there going for less than the 'bigger' named units (sony/ipod) and i wonder if these are any good???

can anybody reccomend anything?

also, what do i need to know with regards to the prolex aux-in adapter....is it just a case of getting the standard head unit out and then plugging it into the back??? is it then easy to mount the adapter in the glove box?

cheers in advance,

rob :D

I've just gotten an iRiver H10 Colour and my Prolex aux in unit just arrived today!

Haven't got round to fitting it yet though, but I'm planning on mounting a docking station in the ash tray that's permanently wired into the power feed and aux in of the stereo.

Ive been complety won over by AppleMac. After having an iPod Mini and loving it, I bought an iPod Video and then an apple Mac G5 Computer!!!

Lovin'everything apple make. I have now got into the swing of uploading photos and videos to my iPod. iPod would get my vote everytime. Sheer quility and ease of use. Good software and industry best! :D

Creative Zen Touch is mighty cheap now for the 20G version it is under 100 quid in places. It was the original proper interface, so good apple decided to copy it :) :lol:

Mine is the Zen Sleek, but the functionality is about the same. I only bought mine for the car, I now use it in the house and at work also. Shame I wouldnt find a 100G version as it is bit of a biatch selecting only 20G worth out of the collection :)

Together with the Aux adapter you a stereo to phono (Red&White) leads. Couple of quid from any good electrical retailer.

will the adapter deffo fit my stereo (2000 IS200, standard stereo)

It may not do, another member with a sport around your age had a problem with the connection - his head unit was 18 pin whilst the aux-in unit has 20 pins. I have one at the moment waiting to install and its worrying me.

hmmm, any other ideas guys???

ideally wanted something with a colour screen aswell....do the creative mp3 players have this???

and what do i need to know with regards to the aux-in adapter??

cheers

rob

Some do...

http://www.creative.com/products/mp3/

Notably the "photo" ones, though why do you want a colour screen just to play MP3 ?

I got one of these for Christmas blows all the ipods out the water

30gb mp3 player

I agree that iPod seems to be missing the plot and is beginning to look out of date. Also iTunes does not aways behave itself on Windows, so all in all I will be looking for a different brand when I upgrade my iPod mini to a video capable player.

I got one of these for Christmas blows all the ipods out the water

30gb mp3 player

I agree that iPod seems to be missing the plot and is beginning to look out of date. Also iTunes does not aways behave itself on Windows, so all in all I will be looking for a different brand when I upgrade my iPod mini to a video capable player.

I disagree, the Ipod is a design classic (as intended by Apple) it doesn't need to be brash with design and does simply what is required. Sony / Phillips will never compete in the design stakes, they may surpass in technology (eventually). It reminds me of the Sony Ericsson T610 - another design classic that still looks the nuts today.

Your old fella is in the US isn't he Rob?

Get him to order you one of these BUSLINK IPOD ADAPTOR, which allows you to control the iPOD from the head unit controls

yea he is.

that looks like a nice bit of kit!!

i take it i won't need the aux-in adapter then?? this just takes its place???

cheers for the link mike.....and :offtopic: the HID's are awesome!!! :D

I disagree, the Ipod is a design classic (as intended by Apple) it doesn't need to be brash with design and does simply what is required. Sony / Phillips will never compete in the design stakes, they may surpass in technology (eventually). It reminds me of the Sony Ericsson T610 - another design classic that still looks the nuts today.

The iPod is a design classic. Flawless touch wheel and great software. I had no problems when I ran mine on Windows Xp and now on Mac OS Tiger.

The new iPod is like a mini media player. There wicked!! :D

Although that Phillips one looks nice :winky:

I disagree, the Ipod is a design classic (as intended by Apple) it doesn't need to be brash with design and does simply what is required.  Sony / Phillips will never compete in the design stakes, they may surpass in technology (eventually).  It reminds me of the Sony Ericsson T610 - another design classic that still looks the nuts today.

Yes it is a design classic and will always be admired. However that makes it a good candidate for a coffee table book or a design museum, but should not stunt its development. Just like Lexus and many other brands do all the time, apple should move ahead in design and IMHO alter the look.

I am sure in 20-30 years the sons of apple will bring out a retro iPod that looks like a 2005 model with TBs of storage and our grandchildren will show it to us and think it is very cool. Hopefully before that happens they will to fix iTunes to be more Windows friendly.

A happy New Year to all LOC members and families and happy :driving:.

Together with the Aux adapter you a stereo to phono (Red&White) leads. Couple of quid from any good electrical retailer.

The kit should come with the leads (about 3mtrs long iirc)

I disagree, the Ipod is a design classic (as intended by Apple) it doesn't need to be brash with design and does simply what is required.  Sony / Phillips will never compete in the design stakes, they may surpass in technology (eventually).  It reminds me of the Sony Ericsson T610 - another design classic that still looks the nuts today.

Yes it is a design classic and will always be admired. However that makes it a good candidate for a coffee table book or a design museum, but should not stunt its development. Just like Lexus and many other brands do all the time, apple should move ahead in design and IMHO alter the look.

I am sure in 20-30 years the sons of apple will bring out a retro iPod that looks like a 2005 model with TBs of storage and our grandchildren will show it to us and think it is very cool. Hopefully before that happens they will to fix iTunes to be more Windows friendly.

A happy New Year to all LOC members and families and happy :driving:.

Mine never came witht the leads....... :huh:

Just out of interest whats the problem you have been having with iTunes?

2 questions:

1.) is the only way to find out if the aux-in adapter will fit, is by removing the head unit and seeing if it is the 20-pin fitting?

2.) do i actually need the aux-in adapter if i buy the BUSLINK IPOD ADAPTER, suggested by Mr M???

2 questions:

1.) is the only way to find out if the aux-in adapter will fit, is by removing the head unit and seeing if it is the 20-pin fitting?

2.) do i actually need the aux-in adapter if i buy the BUSLINK IPOD ADAPTER, suggested by Mr M???

The Buslink is an iPOD adaptor....and more besides, you control the iPOD from the headunit controls

2 questions:

The Buslink is an iPOD adaptor....and more besides, you control the iPOD from the headunit controls

ok, so i just need the ipod and the adapter and i'm away?!

easy peasy :hehe: