Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I just got a Japanese imported Celsior (LS400), I have a few minor issues with it:

1) when i back off the accelerator i feel a very slight vibration shudder or so (it feels like the exhaust brake feeling on a truck but not to the extent).

2) The fender pole on the front bumper sometimes works and sometime not.

apart from these issue everything seems to be fine, I haven't done a service or anything yet, I'm planning to service it next week.

Any ideas would be appreciated specially the on the shudder problem, I'm thinking it might need a transmission service.

I just got a Japanese imported Celsior (LS400), I have a few minor issues with it:

1) when i back off the accelerator i feel a very slight vibration shudder or so (it feels like the exhaust brake feeling on a truck but not to the extent).

apart from these issue everything seems to be fine, I haven't done a service or anything yet, I'm planning to service it next week.

Any ideas would be appreciated specially the on the shudder problem, I'm thinking it might need a transmission service.

1) Could be a symptom of transmission fluid having been added at some point with incorrect frictional properties. These cars must only have Toyota T-IV in their transmissions. A FULL fluid replacement (and filter change) may certainly help, but will not be cheap. A sensible precaution to take though, especially if you're unsure of the car's history. Beware - even Toyota service centres sometimes use cheap fluid, so a main dealer service history is no guarantee that it's been done right. See lexls.com for details.

2) Please excuse my ignorance, but what's a fender pole?

1) Could be a symptom of transmission fluid having been added at some point with incorrect frictional properties. These cars must only have Toyota T-IV in their transmissions. A FULL fluid replacement (and filter change) may certainly help, but will not be cheap. A sensible precaution to take though, especially if you're unsure of the car's history. Beware - even Toyota service centres sometimes use cheap fluid, so a main dealer service history is no guarantee that it's been done right. See lexls.com for details.

2) Please excuse my ignorance, but what's a fender pole?

thanks for your reply, I was planning on doing the transmission service this coming week, so i'll try it and see how it goes.

THe fender pole is a japanese item that is on alot of japanese automatic cars. its a pole that comes out of the front left side of the bumper (vertical), its designed to give you a sense of the front of the car.

Hi,

The vibration could be from the gearbox mounts getting tired or from the prop shaft :unsure:

Thanks guys, is there any way i can check the prop shaft myself.

Hi,

If you jacked the rear of the car up so both rear wheels are off the ground, :excl: make sure the cars secure have axle stands or something under so it wont fall off the jack and blocks at both sides of the front wheels.

:excl: Again you got to know what your doing...You could run the engine with it in gear and visually check from the side and the rear of the car for signs of unbalance in the propshaft.You dont have to rev the engine very hard as the prop is low geared,also just have the autobox in Low gear.

With the Engine OFF you could also check for damage to the prop,the prop might have been hit if someones run over something in the past.

Theres so many things that could be giving you this vibration,its just a case of ruling everything out buy checking everything.

In normal driving you can sort of check for wear in the U Js in the prop by setting off from standstill with the Autobox set in Low and say get up to say 20mph and gently but quicky Come on and Off the throttle afew times and feel how much slack is in the transmission propshaft etc....There will be a small amount of slack thats normal...its tricky to try and explain whats normal..

Hope you find whats causing the vibration,let us know how you get on :)

Good Luck

Chips.

Thanks for that, I'll check that during the week.

I have also noticed that the shudder occurs mainly between 50 and 70km/hr, and more noticable when i take my foot off the accelerator. It still happens upon acceleration but not that noticable.

• 5 years later...

How much ARE Gearbox mounts; are they a standard service part ? (Ser 4 in my case) Sources always useful.

And are propshaft junctions greaseable? My ignorance on the configuration of Prop shafts showing here. Do they have bearings/bushes etc that need replacing, or is it more serious than that?

How much ARE Gearbox mounts; are they a standard service part ? (Ser 4 in my case) Sources always useful.

And are propshaft junctions greaseable? My ignorance on the configuration of Prop shafts showing here. Do they have bearings/bushes etc that need replacing, or is it more serious than that?

Hi

Unless the propshaft as been struck by something or run in a very wet soaking environment (Submerged)it is highly unlikely that any problems will occur in the lifetime of the car the bushes and bearings are not servicable and the removal and replacement of the propshaft as to be done in a precise and uniform sequence otherwise there will be subsequent vibration .

In this instance and any other to do with vibrations it is usually the running gear or bushes associated with the running gear .

The Maxim is ; If it aint broke don't try to fix it.