Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just bought myself a mint 97 Sport as a daily runner. Everything appears as new in the car with the exception of the leather on the gear stick which has worn presumably due to drivers resting their hands on it as they waft along. Any suggestions for replacements / refurb and how I would go about removing and refitting.

Thanks.

Regards

Neil

Hi and Welcome to the LOC :)

Ive not had to replace that part but you should be able to get a replacement from the main dealers,not sure of the price though :unsure: or how easy it is to change...Someone else might be along and able to help you.

Cheers chips.

No it doesn't just unscrew. It was a PITA when I did one. I knackered the plastic surround until I found the hidden hoojamaflip to get it off. I wasn't bothered as it was a scrap motor and I didn't need the gear knob bit lol.

Thanks for the responses. Doesnt look like it unscrews. Also has an overdrive knob embedded in it so there must be some wires in there (doh!) so I'd be surprised if it unscrews. Where is the hidden screw?? Any online service manuals I can refer to?

Regards

Neil

No it doesn't just unscrew.

Mine does!

Your sig says you have an IS which I'm guessing is manual. Man here is talking about an auto GS. Or have I erred here a bit?

It wasn't a screw if I remember rightly it was a sort of clip thing like you get on electrical plugs. Was a few months ago that I did it now and as mine is a manual motor I can't go and check for you.

Your sig says you have an IS which I'm guessing is manual. Man here is talking about an auto GS. Or have I erred here a bit?

No - I have obviously erred. I have a GS though I cant see in my profile where it says I have an IS.

Regards

Neil

No - I have obviously erred. I have a GS though I cant see in my profile where it says I have an IS.

Regards

Neil

I need to get at my surround to change the LEDs tomorrow so i will let you know if i find out how it comes off

Regards

Neil

NO NO mate that was in response to morses post about the gearknob unscrewing on his car. IS are manual GS's are not. Your sig says GS on it but it wouldn't be the first time I got something wrong lol.

Regards

Neil

NO NO mate that was in response to morses post about the gearknob unscrewing on his car. IS are manual GS's are not. Your sig says GS on it but it wouldn't be the first time I got something wrong lol.

Well i tried and failed to remove my gear knob the other day (still managed to change the red indicator leds to blue though :) ) From what i saw i cannot see a release point for the stick beneath the flat console panel, the plug on the back of the gear lever houses the overdrive button. I couldn't find a way to remove this as its all attached to the button itself which seems too big to remove although i am sure there is a way.

I have made the assumption that removing the plug is the key to removing the lever as i can't see any other way of removing it and the only bit i haven't seen is inside the head of the gear lever

AFAI remember its just a little clip thing somewhere at the bottom of the plastic that the leather part is bonded to if that makes sense. Possibly on the rear face. Its only a dead little thing. A bit like what holds leccy plugs on a little ratchett like clip thingumy.

thingummy :blink: is that similar to a whosit or more like a howjacallit :hehe:

I know what you mean i just hit the fear of breaking factor so left it alone

No it doesn't just unscrew. It was a PITA when I did one. I knackered the plastic surround until I found the hidden hoojamaflip to get it off. I wasn't bothered as it was a scrap motor and I didn't need the gear knob bit lol.

Thanks for the responses. Doesnt look like it unscrews. Also has an overdrive knob embedded in it so there must be some wires in there (doh!) so I'd be surprised if it unscrews. Where is the hidden screw?? Any online service manuals I can refer to?

Regards

Neil

Neil do you have the MK1 or MK2?

I have a MK1 manual which shows how to remove the gear shift lever knob.

Seems to be held by two screws hidden/obscured under the gaitor.

PM me if you still need the info.

Austin - if you need any info on removing centre console/fascia and panel around gear shift it is also in my manual.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links