Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gearbox

webbbr

Hi.

I have recently purchased an IS 200 sport. 'Y' reg with 31000 miles on the clock.

I am having problems with getting it into 2nd and sometimes 3rd.

If i change gear quickly, it seems to bite (not crunch or grind).

If i change gear slowly it is fine. I am pressing the clutch fully each time i do this.

Do you have any idea what might be causing this?

common problem with the IS200, some ( including me) have had the gearbox replaced some have been fobed off some have had gearbox components replaced.

in my case the fault came back after about 8K miles.

i suspect that it is a manufacturing tolerance problem on the hubs and cones.

If you use the search button in the top RH corner you will find a huge abount of posts covering this subject

Thanks M8.

Reading other posts, it seems to be a common problem, but no solution. Will changing the gearbox oil help the situation?

Will a new gearbox help?

As I have bought the car from a dealer (not lexus). Should I take it back under warranty?

Like Fluff says it is a common problem but I don't know of any complete failures, it's just a bit of a pain. I bought my Sport with 25K on the clock and had the same not long after I got the car, it's done just under another 50K since then and the problem has not got any worse.

Did you test drive the car before you bought it? If so I would have thought the dealer would be likely to put up a fight.

Did you get any warranty from the dealer?

Did you test drive the car before you bought it? If so I would have thought the dealer would be likely to put up a fight.

Yeah, I did, i didn't notice it then though.

Did you get any warranty from the dealer?

I got 3 months, or 3,000 miles.

I've done about 1500 miles in it so far in arround 3 weeks.

I would check and see if the gearbox is covered under the warranty, if it is go for it that way. I think the dealer will just "shrug you off" but worth a try.

If all else fails don't worry the box is not about to give up on you :crybaby:

some people have reported that the gearchange impoved when using redline gearbox oil.

but my gearbox ( both of them) also improved for a short while after gearbox oil changes

some have also reported improved gearchanges after fitting short shifters.

Try going back to the dealer under the warranty - u have nothing to loose and as said before dont worry about it too much - the gearbox isnt going to fall out onto the floor