Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How Do You Fill Up Your Tyres?

Purvesh

With the need to regularly check tyre pressures on all our cars, I'm thinking of getting one of those 12v portable air compressors.

My question is do many people here have one, if so, which one do you recommend?

I've had a look on eBay but I'm not sure on which brand to go for - quite a few cheap options on there.

Any help would be appreciated. :)

Because there's always a million people in front, or waiting behind. Plus the fact that it's not really as accurate if the tyres aren't cold.

I have got a proper pressure gauge reader, but no actual pump.

Thanks for the link maneesh, where can you get them online?

In Dec2005's edition of Test Drive magazine, they have done a test. Top was the Michelin Hi-Power inflator for 37.99 (has Xenon like LED display, auto shut off after reaching pre-set pressure, and is built to last, quiet and fast too).

Second in the test was the Halfords Rapid Digital Tyre inflator for 21.99, which was nearly as good as the Michelin, but it was a bit noisier.

Look in www.caeurope.co.uk for the different models and RRPs.

I've just found a few used and new Michelins on eBay. There prices are keen, but the P&P hits ya. Why don't you pop into your local Halfords superstore and get one there? That's where I bought mine. I got a 12250 model, but the one that was tested was the all singing, all dancing 12262 model.

In Dec2005's edition of Test Drive magazine, they have done a test. Top was the Michelin Hi-Power Inflator for 37.99 (has xenon like LED display, auto shut off after reaching pre-set pressure, and is built to last, quiet and fast too).

Second in the test was the Halfords Rapid Digital Tyre Inflator for 21.99, which was nearly as good as the Michelin, but it was a bit noisier.

Look in www.caeurope.co.uk for the different models and RRPs.

I've just found a few used and new Michelins on ebay. There prices are keen, but the P&P hits ya. Why don't you pop into your local Halfords superstore and get one there? That's where I bought mine. I got a 12250 model, but the one that was tested was the all singing, all dancing 12262 model.

I got the Hally's one.....works fine :D

I always use the compressor built into my 12v booster pack, the guage doesn't seem far off, but I've got a good quality tyre pressure gauge to get em spot on.

The good thing about using a compressor at home is you can adjust the pressures with the tyres cold, if you use the garage forcourt effort then the pressure could be a few psi out due to the varying tyre temps.

I always go down to my local esso and use their pump, simply set the pressure, and it beeps when its done  :P

Not sure how accurate it is tho  :unsure:

Well they do get bit of a kicking day to day and stand out in all weathers. I doubt they are ever calibrated, but then neither is our own equipment :unsure: but it certainly doesn't get the kicking :winky:

Shahz, I use a digital pressure guage purely as I find it easy to read off at a glance. It was £20 from Halfarts, seems well built :)

Shahz, I use a digital pressure guage purely as I find it easy to read off at a glance. It was £20 from Halfarts, seems well built :)

B) cheers mate

Footpump all the way. You guys are just lazy buggers! :P

Footpump? You're the lazy bugger! I use one of these...

187016sdc.jpg

Honest! :whistling:

:lol::lol:

I always go down to my local esso and use their pump, simply set the pressure, and it beeps when its done  :P

Not sure how accurate it is tho  :unsure:

Well they do get bit of a kicking day to day and stand out in all weathers. I doubt they are ever calibrated, but then neither is our own equipment :unsure: but it certainly doesn't get the kicking :winky:

I used a sainsburies forecourt tyre inflation service once. I drove off and had the lightest steering ever (impressive on a sierra with no power steering) I tested the pressure with my guage at home and there was over 50 psi in there. I put 28 psi in it from the guage on their inflator. I went straight back and told them .Their attitude was "its free so what do you want us to do about it" Last time I used a garage service.