Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Handbrake

Rob's Lexx

just had my brakes changed (front and rear) but since i got the car back, the handbrake needs to be pulled a lot higher than before.

i used to pull it up just to 1 'click' (or sometimes 2) and it would hold the car fine on a slope. now its about 4 'clicks' and it feels stiff pulling it that far :duh:

is this normal?? or do i need to take it back to the garage?

cheers

rob

Your not alone, mine did the same, i now have to pull it all the way up for it to hold and a small hill lol, its been like it for a while and thus far has not rolled away.

suppose i should get it seen to

after rear shoes changed, they need bedding (they are only used for handbrake as rear brakes are disc/drum, disc for normal braking, drum for handbrake) dealer should do this after brake shoe replacement, but any car with disc/drum combo at rear should periodically have the rear shoes bedded/cleaned, you can do this your self by gently applying handbrake when moving for short periods, obviously be sensible i.e. we are doing NOT doing handbrake turns here, (do it off public roads etc) and if in doubt, leave it to the dealer to do. This bedding/cleaning will allow greater handbrake efficiency.

right, so i guess 3 clicks is alright then.

its just that its so different to before (i.e 1 click) that i thought they'd messed somethin up. i don't really understand the technicalities of the rear disc/drum set-up. surely if they change the rear discs then the handbrake positioning (tension) should be the same?

right, so i guess 3 clicks is alright then.

its just that its so different to before (i.e 1 click) that i thought they'd messed somethin up. i don't really understand the technicalities of the rear disc/drum set-up. surely if they change the rear discs then the handbrake positioning (tension) should be the same?

The centre cylinder of the rear disc is actually a drum with shoes inside. Like a drum brake with a disc attached to the outside. The drum bit is the hand brake with shoes that expand out to grip.

Don't know how many clicks as I always press the button :hehe:

Mine doesn't travel far though, never use it when parking, just plonk it in "P" unless on a gradient which is rare which is probably why the cable hasn't stretched.