Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Evenin' all - the time has come to replace tyres. Currently Good Years but after doing some searching found another couple makes in the running;

Falken GRB FK 451 and the Pirelli P7. Both score highly on 'Black Circles'

Not heard of the Falken before but they seem to be a well made/designed/quiet tyre.

General A Road/motorway use so comfort and low road noise is what I am really after (as well as a decent life span)

Anybody help ?

GS 300SE 98

:question:

Hi

I personally wouldn't go for Falkens. The disadvantage is that they have a very soft compound and won't last very long, however they do provide very good dry weather grip.

I have recently fitted Avons (directionals) 245/40/18 on my GS Sport and have found them very grippy. However, I wish I had gone for 45s instead on 40s.

Good Luck

When i had my DC5 integra Falkans used to get slated for poor performance and the rubber used to degrade very quickly. I have used Bridgestone Potenzas on both the Integra and IS200 and found them to be excellent all rounders, especially in wet/slippery conitions whcih the UK seems to be liking at the moment. The price is also respectable approx £82 fitted etc for 17"

Dan

I forgot to mention that Just Tyres charged me £250 for a pair of 245/40/18s Avons.

How much :ohmy: thats very expensive hence the reason why i never used main stream tyre fitters anymore. Got a fantastic establishment called Headley Tyres in Kingsclere that do very good prices on tyres near me.

Used to have Continental ContiSportContact 2's, now got Eagle F1's. I'd say both are on par with one another, although the Continentals aren't as good as the Eagle F1's in Wet Weather, but then the Eagle's have a weaker sidewall than the Continentals. I'd say stick to the Eagle's, best tire I've ever used :).

Used to have Continental ContiSportContact 2's, now got Eagle F1's. I'd say both are on par with one another, although the Continentals aren't as good as the Eagle F1's in Wet Weather, but then the Eagle's have a weaker sidewall than the Continentals. I'd say stick to the Eagle's, best tire I've ever used :).

best tyres I ever used were the bridgestone potenzas but they wore alot quicker, were more expensive, and weren't as good in the wet as the eagles.

I dont think anyone can honestly say that one tyre is better than another in the wet/dry unless the conditions and tyre wear etc is EXACTLY the same so..........

swapped from sp9000's to the newer sport maxx - noise is less and the compound is a bit softer.

so far the wear has been as expected, have not noticed anything negative in the wet or dry to say otherwise.

I dont think anyone can honestly say that one tyre is better than another in the wet/dry unless the conditions and tyre wear etc is EXACTLY the same so..........

swapped from sp9000's to the newer sport maxx - noise is less and the compound is a bit softer.

so far the wear has been as expected, have not noticed anything negative in the wet or dry to say otherwise.

You what?? How can you say that you can't tell the difference between one tyres performance and anothers? Drive yourself a 475 bhp rear wheel drive motor in the rain then come back and tell me there is no difference in tyre performance in the wet.

I have found in my personal usage of tyres that goodyear eagle F1's perform the best in wet weather than any other tyre in its price range. I've used them on tracks and drive aggressively on empty roads and have 50kmiles a years worth of driving experience so I've got an idea of how tyres perform. Sure you can pay significantly more for tyres but I've found you get next to no aditional benefit. I also glean some corroboration from over 100 users of high power rear wheel drive car owners that also put a lot of miles down in rear wheel drive cars so its not just my own opinion. I have used stickier tyres in the dry and found the bridgestone potenzas to be the best grip for the money but just not as good in the wet as the eagles and as most people have to drive their cars in both wet and dry conditions then its pretty obvious the choice is going to have to be the tyre that performs best in the wet.

You what?? How can you say that you can't tell the difference between one tyres performance and anothers? Drive yourself a 475 bhp rear wheel drive motor in the rain then come back and tell me there is no difference in tyre performance in the wet.

I have found in my personal usage of tyres that goodyear eagle F1's perform the best in wet weather than any other tyre in its price range. I've used them on tracks and drive aggressively on empty roads and have 50kmiles a years worth of driving experience so I've got an idea of how tyres perform. Sure you can pay significantly more for tyres but I've found you get next to no aditional benefit. I also glean some corroboration from over 100 users of high power rear wheel drive car owners that also put a lot of miles down in rear wheel drive cars so its not just my own opinion. I have used stickier tyres in the dry and found the bridgestone potenzas to be the best grip for the money but just not as good in the wet as the eagles and as most people have to drive their cars in both wet and dry conditions then its pretty obvious the choice is going to have to be the tyre that performs best in the wet.

no........ read what i wrote again but slllloooooowwllyyy this time.

I use Toyo PROXES T1-R - they get excellent reviews and I'm very happy with them. Excellent in the wet and fairly quiet - a big change from the stock Potenzas which are a bit too slippy when there's water about.

I paid £166 for a pair (delivered) from mytyres.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links