Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Creak, Creak

Grahamwl

I've noticed my car starting to make intermittent creaking noises from the n/s front, especially at lower speeds. It's been getting progressively worse/louder, yet sometimes it doesn't happen at all.

Anyway, it was very loud the other night, so when I arrived home, I pushed up and down on the wing and it (the suspension) made a real racket - like a worn out old bed-spring! :blush:

The car is 1997 and has only done 57,000 miles so I'm a little surprised at this. Anyone care to offer any thoughts on the cause before I visit the main dealer in Reading?

Many thanks,

Graham.

I've noticed my car starting to make intermittent creaking noises from the n/s front, especially at lower speeds. It's been getting progressively worse/louder, yet sometimes it doesn't happen at all.

Anyway, it was very loud the other night, so when I arrived home, I pushed up and down on the wing and it (the suspension) made a real racket - like a worn out old bed-spring!  :blush:

The car is 1997 and has only done 57,000 miles so I'm a little surprised at this. Anyone care to offer any thoughts on the cause before I visit the main dealer in Reading?

Many thanks,

Graham.

Most times this noise is due to a seized bush or better described as the 'through bolt' seized in the metal inner core of the rubber bush..... attempts to free the bolt is possible but unlikely.... if i can add Any comfort... as bad as things sound 'nothing' is going to fall off!

Thanks for the reassurance.  :)  That'll explain why the car still rides and handles OK despite the worrying noise!

Indeed.... but eventually there will be a need to resolve the problem..... There are some very good traders here that will guide you though your future requirements.... maybe it would help if you set-up dialogue in PM format sooner than later.

Thanks for the reassurance.  :)  That'll explain why the car still rides and handles OK despite the worrying noise!

Indeed.... but eventually there will be a need to resolve the problem..... There are some very good traders here that will guide you though your future requirements.... maybe it would help if you set-up dialogue in PM format sooner than later.

Well I'd be very grateful for any practical help. Thanks for that. I think I'm enabled for PM's if anyone wants to offer to do the necessary work.

Cheers.

• 8 months later...

mileage is irrelevant, it's nearly a 10 year old car, and hence, rubber bushes will deteriorate over time, plus it's a bloody heavy vehicle.

it could well be your springs, shocks, anti roll bar bushes, strut bar bushes, upper balljoints, or lower balljoints. start with the cheap fixes first like the anti roll bar bushes.

get everything greased up first too, before replacing expensive parts.

Anyway, it was very loud the other night, so when I arrived home, I pushed up and down on the wing and it (the suspension) made a real racket - like a worn out old bed-spring! :blush:

Many thanks,

Graham.

Hi Graham

I had a similar probem on my 98 LS. It was tracked down to wear on the offside anti roll bar rubber bush, it went away with a squirt of WD40 but came back a week later. I have since replaced both the offside and nearside bushes and silence is golden as they say.

Easy job to do just two bolts each side, you will need to raise the front for access and remove the plastic cover panels for better access. I did one side with the cover in place but it was better with it removed, only three bolts each side for the cover.

This is the part number for a 98 model 4881550112 £8.56 plus the dreaded VAT each. Check with the dealer as they may not be the same.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links