Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is220d Test Drive ?

scott

Fandabidosy!!! well done mate - I'm sooooo jealous...March...!

Cheers Jamboo - you're be really pleased when you get yours. Just make sure you get all the insurance docs to the dealer in good time.

Lexus Poole were really good and chucked in rubber mats :whistling: , Lexus Teddy, Golf umbrella and a bunch of flowers for the missus, all on top of the £550 discount.

I did better on the discount front, so am expecting nothing more than the handshake, but the rubber mats would be great (here's to hoping...)!

Door locking etc can be configured. It's part of the "Lexus Personalisation". On the old model it was limited to one or two things and kept resetting...i.e. auto lights on I think. On the new IS there are many more options, but I am not sure if they will reset like the old one:

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=29224

It's a shame that unlike BMW (when you opt for the iDrive/Sat Nav), you cannot control these settings yourself.

One things for sure - I will miss my 50+ MPG :blink: ! That's what I regularly got with my Audi A4 at motorway speeds (though I am NOT heavy footed) - and could stretch to well over 750 miles before fillup on mainly motorway journeys - and thats from a 70 litre tank! I too was hoping for something approaching 50 MPG, especially when the engine is showing 1500 RPM at 70 MPH!!

It should improve by upto 10% (or did on the Audi) once at 10,000 miles. Also, the engine became smoother and smoother...Oil consumption is something that you have to watch on Diesel,s. The Audi took a litre for every 500 miles to 1500 miles and then it dropped to 1 litre for every 10,000 miles or so by the time I parted with it (at 47000 miles). But then it was 0w30...as thin as water!

:offtopic:

A relative has an auto boot on his Merc S class, and in Glasgow he went to one of the city centre car parks and hit the button...forgetting the "slop" in the wall of that car park...he was not a happy man! :duh:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Help required, I am looking to lease company car, possibly IS220 se or sport with mm, just wandered what others thought of with regards to company car tax. Other options are Jaguar x-type, BM320d, Passat 168bhp sel all diesels.

Any body had any good lease quotes on IS220d se or above 36 months 20k average per year and non maintenance.

I did better on the discount front, so am expecting nothing more than the handshake, but the rubber mats would be great (here's to hoping...)!

Door locking etc can be configured. It's part of the "Lexus Personalisation". On the old model it was limited to one or two things and kept resetting...i.e. auto lights on I think. On the new IS there are many more options, but I am not sure if they will reset like the old one:

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=29224

It's a shame that unlike BMW (when you opt for the iDrive/Sat Nav), you cannot control these settings yourself.

One things for sure - I will miss my 50+ MPG :blink: ! That's what I regularly got with my Audi A4 at motorway speeds (though I am NOT heavy footed) - and could stretch to well over 750 miles before fillup on mainly motorway journeys - and thats from a 70 litre tank! I too was hoping for something approaching 50 MPG, especially when the engine is showing 1500 RPM at 70 MPH!!

It should improve by upto 10% (or did on the Audi) once at 10,000 miles. Also, the engine became smoother and smoother...Oil consumption is something that you have to watch on Diesel,s. The Audi took a litre for every 500 miles to 1500 miles and then it dropped to 1 litre for every 10,000 miles or so by the time I parted with it (at 47000 miles). But then it was 0w30...as thin as water!

:offtopic:

A relative has an auto boot on his Merc S class, and in Glasgow he went to one of the city centre car parks and hit the button...forgetting the "slop" in the wall of that car park...he was not a happy man! :duh:

Rubber mats are a must, already my mates are tramping in dirt and leaves.

Something I've noticed ... you need to be doing about 80 - 85 mph for the sixth gear to be happy, otherwise it feels like the engine is labouring. 1500 RPM at 70 MPH doesn't really happen for me (at the moment), maybe in time things will change as everything losens.

On a positive note, it will accelerate nicely in fifth from 60 onwards and plenty of acceleration in 3rd and 4th. It appears that the diesel is 1 second faster from 30 - 50 than the IS250, according to What Car and a site that posted the time for the diesel, so ideal for overtaking tractors, milk floats, BMW 320ds etc :D

I'll try and wangle them for the mats!!

The one I tested had all of 80 miles on the clock, but it did sit happily at 70MPH @ 1500 RPM...strange...!! It was just so quiet at motorway speeds...

The power band is narrow, and I noticed your comment about 2nd and 3rd gear earlier in the thread. I found that in test drive too. The thing is that it's so fast between 2000 and 3500 revs or so that you really do have to change at that point where the torque starts to die off.

My A4 was a 5 speed 1.9 TDI with 130BHP...the Turbo came in at 1650 revs, and was smooth through to 3800 revs or so with all of the 210 lbs of pull. The IS seems to suddenly bring the power in and suddenly lose it above 4000...or that's what I found, hence my comment about it appearing narrowish. Do you find that?

First gear was very short, 2nd onwards were brill on the A4.

The IS with 6 speeds does need more gear changes than I would have hoped for. But isn't it engaging to drive?

I reckon that the Sport, with it's different ratio's would be awseome! And with the Auto the Base/SE/SE-L would have been perrrrrfect!...

Maybe in 7 years time when the 3rd edition is out... ;) Lexus I hope you're watching...

PS - definately quicker through the gears - quickest of any diesel I have ever driven...there is so much torque...You are sooo lucky...

PPS - Insurance - good advice!! Mine is also having a cherished transfer so I will make sure this is all done in advance. In the meantime keep posting on how you're getting on...

Thanks for the reply Scott - I'll have to try both the sport- and non-sport versions when they arrive. I agree that the sport seems to be a less economical alternative and here in Sweden it will really be penalized due to the rather high CO2 emissions for a diesel....

Has anyone compared the IS220d to the Accord diesel? Would be interested to hear how you feel they compare. I know that the Accord lacks about 40 hp, but otherwise it is a really nice engine with a very wide power-band (my parent has got it in their CR-V).

accord diesel is more comparable to 150hp Avensis diesel. IS220d is 3rd gen common rail and is advanced in many ways - from injectors, common rail pressure, to special glow plugs. Avensis with 177hp engine is 1-2 seconds faster in overpassing (50-70, 80-100) than Accord (there was an test in german AMS).

accord diesel is more comparable to 150hp Avensis diesel. IS220d is 3rd gen common rail and is advanced in many ways - from injectors, common rail pressure, to special glow plugs. Avensis with 177hp engine is 1-2 seconds faster in overpassing (50-70, 80-100) than Accord (there was an test in german AMS).

From a performance perspective I can see that and if the Lexus could be bought with an automatic gearbox it would be the natural choice. What I am after, though, is more how the power is delivered and how well that fits with a manual gearbox. I have driven diesels for quite some time and those that have a narrow power band work fine with an automatic but in everyday driving I find them to be a hassle with a manual. The broad power band of the Honda engine, however, makes it work well with a manual gearbox. I guess that I will have to try the Lexus myself, but it is always interesting to hear the opinions of others while waiting for that :winky:

From a performance perspective I can see that and if the Lexus could be bought with an automatic gearbox it would be the natural choice. What I am after, though, is more how the power is delivered and how well that fits with a manual gearbox. I have driven diesels for quite some time and those that have a narrow power band work fine with an automatic but in everyday driving I find them to be a hassle with a manual. The broad power band of the Honda engine, however, makes it work well with a manual gearbox. I guess that I will have to try the Lexus myself, but it is always interesting to hear the opinions of others while waiting for that :winky:

The power "availability" is similar in both - I tried them within a week of each other. However, the Accord that I drove was particularly rattly and not that smooth! It was a courtesy car....the demo was sold!

The IS has 2 very slight flaws which would not be noticeable if the engine wasn't so powerful, and in the Avensis (which I have not driven, but been driven in) I think it would be comparable to the Honda:

1) The Turbo lag is noticeable - below 1800ish little happens, then it all comes in one go until just before 4000 - Scott may be able to confirm 'cos I only had a 50 minute drive...

2) The gearing between 2nd and 3rd leaves you wanting a ratio in between sometimes...

In the Accord the lack of the oooomph means that you think the power delivery is over a longer smoother plain. It's not, the IS diesel is crushingly fast when that turbo sings...you'll see what I mean. An auto would have been perfect...

However, the car is just so much better than the Accord in every other way. Try it yourself...

I tried everything in the class, this was the best overall IMHO...so we bought one!

The power "availability" is similar in both - I tried them within a week of each other. However, the Accord that I drove was particularly rattly and not that smooth! It was a courtesy car....the demo was sold!

The IS has 2 very slight flaws which would not be noticeable if the engine wasn't so powerful, and in the Avensis (which I have not driven, but been driven in) I think it would be comparable to the Honda:

1) The Turbo lag is noticeable - below 1800ish little happens, then it all comes in one go until just before 4000 - Scott may be able to confirm 'cos I only had a 50 minute drive...

2) The gearing between 2nd and 3rd leaves you wanting a ratio in between sometimes...

In the Accord the lack of the oooomph means that you think the power delivery is over a longer smoother plain. It's not, the IS diesel is crushingly fast when that turbo sings...you'll see what I mean. An auto would have been perfect...

However, the car is just so much better than the Accord in every other way. Try it yourself...

I tried everything in the class, this was the best overall IMHO...so we bought one!

Thanks - this is the what I was looking for! I guess that the sport will solve the gear 2/3 gearing issue (at a cost of higher tax + fuel consumption), but the turbo lack would be similar in both I guess.... I look forward to test both shortly and compare to the BMW 530dA E60 that I currently drive.

Jamboo, I couldn't agree more. Everything happens between 2000 - 4000 RPM, anything before/after is a bit flat. It all happens very quick and then you find yourself changing up into fourth. The car wasn't made for standing starts!

Saying which, I now find myself driving in a far more relaxed way, trying to eek the avg mpg ever higher. i'm now up to 35.9 after 280 miles. The car is starting to loosen up and sixth gear feels better at 75+ mph. 75 is the recommended speed by Lexus for 6th, I wouldn't go lower.

Scott - cheers matey - Cool, so Lexus are now encouraging us to break the speed limit... :huh: Only joking...

Running In -- that's a thought, what did Lexus say to you about that? I have seen the PDF and URL knocking about on another thread, but it's written in American...

Also - did the dealer mention that you should have an oil and filter change at 1000 miles?

This was the norm in the "olden" days. Of all the new cars I have ever bought since 1990 (except the A4) they have never recommended anything - just get in and drive...and I know the engines are built better and have been "Bench Pressed" at the factory...and don't need head bolts tightening any more :lol: (like Frankestein's monster)!

My understanding from Audi was that for the first 750 miles AT LEAST you don't want to Labour the engine - it can do more harm than revving it over 70% of the maximum (in this case 3700 RPM), which you also should not do when running in. Then I was told you can gently increase the RPM to the Red line if you really want to over the next 1250 miles, at the rate of an extra 200 RPM per 200 miles or so over a mix of Motorway or urban roads...making sure you don't sit on motorways/constant RPM for long periods...??

At 70 in 6th the 220d on the test drive was labouring, and you had to change to 4th or 5th to get going when overtaking, so mostly it's fifth gear I suppose. But that's not too bad, as it I kept forgetting it had six cogs anyway! It's one of the reasons I would never buy an ex-demo...(extreme you may think - )

Anyway, here's a another positive review, though the "3 Car Comparo" shows some strange stuff in the 220d SE Spec...

http://www.newcarnet.co.uk/technical_Lexus...?serialno=28367

Scott - cheers matey - Cool, so Lexus are now encouraging us to break the speed limit... :huh: Only joking...

Running In -- that's a thought, what did Lexus say to you about that? I have seen the PDF and URL knocking about on another thread, but it's written in American...

Also - did the dealer mention that you should have an oil and filter change at 1000 miles?

This was the norm in the "olden" days. Of all the new cars I have ever bought since 1990 (except the A4) they have never recommended anything - just get in and drive...and I know the engines are built better and have been "Bench Pressed" at the factory...and don't need head bolts tightening any more :lol: (like Frankestein's monster)!

My understanding from Audi was that for the first 750 miles AT LEAST you don't want to Labour the engine - it can do more harm than revving it over 70% of the maximum (in this case 3700 RPM), which you also should not do when running in. Then I was told you can gently increase the RPM to the Red line if you really want to over the next 1250 miles, at the rate of an extra 200 RPM per 200 miles or so over a mix of Motorway or urban roads...making sure you don't sit on motorways/constant RPM for long periods...??

At 70 in 6th the 220d on the test drive was labouring, and you had to change to 4th or 5th to get going when overtaking, so mostly it's fifth gear I suppose. But that's not too bad, as it I kept forgetting it had six cogs anyway! It's one of the reasons I would never buy an ex-demo...(extreme you may think - )

Anyway, here's a another positive review, though the "3 Car Comparo" shows some strange stuff in the 220d SE Spec...

http://www.newcarnet.co.uk/technical_Lexus...?serialno=28367

Jamboo, another goodish review here ...

TestDriven New IS Review

I agree with the reviewers comments about sixth gear and 70 mph, just not possible and yet 70 is the legal limit on the motorway.

I'd have to disagree with the comment that it runs out of steam at 2000 rpm and it does feel swift (and is) when you boot it.

He's right about fourth gear and 40 mph, there's some 40mph stretches on my journey (villages, towns etc) and I have to change down to 3rd.

Help required, I am looking to lease company car, possibly IS220 se or sport with mm, just wandered what others thought of with regards to company car tax. Other options are Jaguar x-type, BM320d, Passat 168bhp sel all diesels.

Any body had any good lease quotes on IS220d se or above 36 months 20k average per year and non maintenance.

Check out www.avail.co.uk - you can get quotes for almost anything - don't know if they are any good though.......

Make Model Version Fuel Body Retail Rental MPG

LEXUS IS220 4DR NW 06 2.2d E4 Diesel Saloon £22,002 £417.97 inc VAT 35.8 More Details

LEXUS IS220 4DR NW 06 2.2d SE E4 Diesel Saloon £25,002 £475.32 inc VAT 44.8 More Details

LEXUS IS220 4DR NW 06 2.2d NAV E4 Diesel Saloon £24,712 £482.69 inc VAT 35.8 More Details

LEXUS IS220 4DR NW 06 2.2d SE S/R E4 Diesel Saloon £25,802 £492.81 inc VAT 44.8 More Details

LEXUS IS220 4DR NW 06 2.2d SPT E4 Diesel Saloon £26,692 £512.31 inc VAT 35.8 More Details

LEXUS IS220 4DR NW 06 2.2d SPT S/R E4 Diesel Saloon £27,492 £530.35 inc VAT 35.8 More Details

LEXUS IS220 4DR NW 06 2.2d SE-L E4 Diesel Saloon £27,602 £539.77 inc VAT 35.8 More Details

LEXUS IS220 4DR NW 06 2.2d SE NAV E4 Diesel Saloon £27,712 £543.67 inc VAT 44.8 More Details

LEXUS IS220 4DR NW 06 2.2d SE-L SR E4 Diesel Saloon £28,402 £557.54 inc VAT 35.8 More Details

LEXUS IS220 4DR NW 06 2.2d SE SR/N E4 Diesel Saloon £28,512 £561.44 inc VAT 44.8 More Details

LEXUS IS220 4DR NW 06 2.2d SPT NAV E4 Diesel Saloon £29,402 £581.23 inc VAT 35.8 More Details

LEXUS IS220 4DR NW 06 2.2d SP SR/N E4 Diesel Saloon £30,202 £598.99 inc VAT 35.8 More Details

LEXUS IS220 4DR NW 06 2.2d SE-L NV E4 Diesel Saloon £30,312 £608.42 inc VAT 35.8 More Details

LEXUS IS220 4DR NW 06 2.2d SE-LSR/NE4 Diesel Saloon £31,112 £626.45 inc VAT 35.8 More Details

Jamboo, another goodish review here ...

TestDriven New IS Review

I agree with the reviewers comments about sixth gear and 70 mph, just not possible and yet 70 is the legal limit on the motorway.

I'd have to disagree with the comment that it runs out of steam at 2000 rpm and it does feel swift (and is) when you boot it.

He's right about fourth gear and 40 mph, there's some 40mph stretches on my journey (villages, towns etc) and I have to change down to 3rd.

Cheers Scott -

I like the final comments that they would have one over a BMW...for the same reasons I would...it's simply a better all round proposition. The only car that I think "could" better the IS is the Audi A4...for the same price you can get a six cyl diesel (2.5) which is very very good, and the quality is as good, if a little staid inside...but it's being replaced...so it'll be worth peanuts in 3-5 years when you come to sell it...

I think I have said it before - the Auto box in the 250 is fab. It's such a shame that Lexus decided not to make the auto... :yawn:

Not being heavy footed I expect to still enjoy driving the manual - I still don't think it's as bad as the journo's are making out, and you only know this when you've driven it personally. It's not 100% perfect, but then none of the cars in this bracket are!!

I finally managed to find a picture in Mesa Red - so saved it as my Avatar. It's the only one I could get via Google Search...