Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is Series Nav/mm Improvements

I would like to propose this topic to accumulate LOC members' suggestions to Lexus to fix and/or improve the functionality of the software in the IS range, particularly usage of the Navigation and Multimedia systems. Both "Official" and "Owner Discovered" fixes and solutions can then be accumulated here as a resource for current and new owners.

I take delivery of my first Lexus in Feb 2006 :driving: so have no actual experience, but to get the topic started here are several annoyances expressed by early adopters of the IS250 that IMHO definitely need attention:

1) Ability to override some of the "Nanny" features such as preventing data entry while moving

2) Enable use of DVDs with MP3 files in the Mark Levinson system

3) Enable full voice activation in AU IS250 models

4) Fully integrate iPod controls in the MM screen

Please add additional "annoyances" and more importantly any and every suggestion or solution.

Options to "Personalise" through the EMV/MLS. In the Beemers, if you opt for the iDrive (Sat Nav Proff) you can change loads of settings for things like Auto locking, headlights, coming home functionality, auto lights etc etc. We would like to think that anything a beemer can do, the Lexus can do (and better!).

Another I can think of (posted yeaterday) is controllability of the low volume of the Navigation instructions

I would like to be able to continue to list folder names (albums) when moving. An example, I have one CD with 12 albums on it (mp3’s) and when stationary the folders are named so it is easy to pick an album and then a specific track if so desired. When you start to move the album names are no longer displayed it just says “folders” which you have to keep pressing to find the album you want when it starts to play, if it’s incorrect you have to press folder again. The track name is displayed eventually when it is playing but its very distracting trying to find an album you want by listening to it rather than a quick glance at the name.

Also I have my phonebook and also my wife’s logged in the system via Bluetooth. I have a few numbers on voice activation and my wife wished to make a call. The system had connected and was active under my phone so she went to change it to hers as the person she wished to call was in her phonebook not mine. It would not highlight her phone when moving to allow her to change so we actually stopped to see if it would then, it did. I know as a passenger she could have just used her phone but surely it would be better to link though the car system and use its aerial to enable better reception.

Another strange thing, if you haven’t logged a particular person in a speed dial or by voice activation it will still allow you to look at a tiny 2” screen (your mobile phone) and then dial out via the car system by pressing call on your phone (if logged in which my wife’s phone wasn’t) which is far more dangerous and distracting that looking at a large Sat. Nav. screen and just touching it.

I hope I have expressed these moans so that they are understandable. It’s not always easy to remember everything that you have done with a system over the last couple of weeks and then relate it into words.

Last but not least the one that I have already mentioned on these forums. The fact that you cannot hear the navigation instructions when music is playing at any much over a murmur.

Moan over.

Another I can think of (posted yeaterday) is controllability of the low volume of the Navigation instructions

I would like to be able to continue to list folder names (albums) when moving. An example, I have one CD with 12 albums on it (mp3’s) and when stationary the folders are named so it is easy to pick an album and then a specific track if so desired. When you start to move the album names are no longer displayed it just says “folders” which you have to keep pressing to find the album you want when it starts to play, if it’s incorrect you have to press folder again. The track name is displayed eventually when it is playing but its very distracting trying to find an album you want by listening to it rather than a quick glance at the name.

I have a couple of questions ...

1. Is it possible to use voice activation to "scroll" through the folders ?

2. Does the display show multiple tracks (artist/song info) when driving e.g album contents and current track being played.

3. Any album art work a la iPod ?

On a different subject ...

4. Is it possible to have route avoidance displayed e.g. icons without having programmed a route. I don't want to program my normal route to work (just about know it :D ) but would like to see upcomming traffic problems on the map.

Thanks

Options to "Personalise" through the EMV/MLS. In the Beemers, if you opt for the iDrive (Sat Nav Proff) you can change loads of settings for things like Auto locking, headlights, coming home functionality, auto lights etc etc. We would like to think that anything a beemer can do, the Lexus can do (and better!).

Yea, this is an ace suggestion. Not sure why they don't have this in already.

are you suggesting that you should be able to dial via phone? :-).

I'm not suggesting that you do, I'm just saying that you can. Thats whats so daft about it.

(From Scott)

2. Does the display show multiple tracks (artist/song info) when driving e.g album contents and current track being played.

It will not show album content when moving but when you eventually find the album/track you want by pressing folder up/down by listerning to it and going onto the next folder if it's not the one you want (folders not named when moving) it does display track being played info then.

Now this sounds like a project I might be able to get my teeth into.

I used my OS/Programming/Computer knowledge to design a CarPC and OS for Holden from scratch. Since I'm now selling my Holden the project & HW has gone to a new home, but I'd be interested in seeing a Lexus DVD from the car to see (a) what's on it, and (B) whether we can 'reverse engineer' parts of it to add the RFE (request for enhancements) that you guys are asking for. It would need a lot of research into how the system works but it should be possible.

If the OS is kept on the DVD it makes things easier.

Cheers,

Steve

Now this sounds like a project I might be able to get my teeth into.

I used my OS/Programming/Computer knowledge to design a CarPC and OS for Holden from scratch. Since I'm now selling my Holden the project & HW has gone to a new home, but I'd be interested in seeing a Lexus DVD from the car to see (a) what's on it, and (B) whether we can 'reverse engineer' parts of it to add the RFE (request for enhancements) that you guys are asking for. It would need a lot of research into how the system works but it should be possible.

If the OS is kept on the DVD it makes things easier.

Cheers,

Steve

You might in breach of their copyright...but I see where you're coming from...may be a recommendation into Lexus would be a good idea once you have seen it...if you're allowed/able to hack into it...I suspect it's encrypted OS.

You might want to check with Lexus first?

• 1 month later...

Thought I'd resurrect this one again.

On saturday I went to the dealer to hand over my Personalised Reg retention document.

I also handed over the LPS (Lexus Personalisation Settings) form which I got from the other threads: Lexus Personalisation Settings (New IS)

The business manager spoke to a Techie in the workshop on the phone, who thought all of those could be done on the new IS. Many of the useful ones are "Standard"...

So, Lexus need to also be clear and fair to customers on what "features" are available for the IS in the UK in my view, and it should not be left to us to have to do the donkey work!!

Anyone else had any of these done yet?

PS and another suggestion - DAB module into the MLS!

On saturday I went to the dealer to hand over my Personalised Reg retention document.

I also handed over the LPS (Lexus Personalisation Settings) form which I got from the other threads: Lexus Personalisation Settings (New IS)

The business manager spoke to a Techie in the workshop on the phone, who thought all of those could be done on the new IS. Many of the useful ones are "Standard"...

So, Lexus need to also be clear and fair to customers on what "features" are available for the IS in the UK in my view, and it should not be left to us to have to do the donkey work!!

I have mentioned LPS to Lexus Reading on many occasions, and even gave them a copy of settings obtained from the US site. They seem to be unaware of the facility, but said they would talk to the service technicians. I am supposed to be picking up my car later this week, but still do not know if they have been able to adjust any of the settings. Lexus GB in general are simply not on the ball with the new IS range.

Can any owners of other models (GS, LS) let us know if they were given LPS options to select prior to collecting thier cars?

Not all of these items listed in the personalisation sheet will work on UK cars. I wanted number 4 (auto door locking) but I was told by the dealer that this was not available on UK cars. He did however do number 13 (auto light sensitivity) as the lights were not coming on soon enough in dim conditions in my opinion.

NB

Setting (2) seemed about right for this as (1) rarely turned the lights off at all.

My biggest gripe by far is still the low volume on the Sat Nav system you simply cannot hear it with music at a reasonable level at 70mph.

Not all of these items listed in the personalisation sheet will work on UK cars. I wanted number 4 (auto door locking) but I was told by the dealer that this was not available on UK cars. He did however do number 13 (auto light sensitivity) as the lights were not coming on soon enough in dim conditions in my opinion.

NB

Setting (2) seemed about right for this as (1) rarely turned the lights off at all.

Interesting Whoosh! I've been told that the auto locking IS available...but the Techie had never done one yet...he was gonna find out how it's done. As normal I will have to chase the dealer to find out if it's possible!!

NB

Interesting Whoosh! I've been told that the auto locking IS available...but the Techie had never done one yet...he was gonna find out how it's done. As normal I will have to chase the dealer to find out if it's possible!!

I'd like to see a TV Tuner. The beemers have these.

If you waiting around for someone for 10minutes you don't really want to stick a DVD on but could watch 10 minutes of TV.

DVD with mp3's not just CD's. (Anyone managed this yet?)

"...I don't beleeeeeve it...." he says in his Victor Meldrew voice!

Auto locking is not an option as Whoosh has said...my dealer has just caled me to tell me.

That is poor in my view, so another one for the list. It's only available in the US! Especially when the german manufacturers have had this available for eyons!

Having had 2 attempted car jackings :crying: in the past (and that in my humble A4) I'm now gonna have to remember to lock the :tsktsk: ing doors! :blush:

I suppose the very important thing is to keep the keys in your pocket, so if the "Gangsta rappa" asks you at gun point to get out the car, you do just that :whistling: ...and then run like mad...he'll get in, drive a metre and then the engine cuts out (?). You then hope he's not good at shooting, or you can outrun him.... :winky:

I suppose the very important thing is to keep the keys in your pocket, so if the "Gangsta rappa" asks you at gun point to get out the car, you do just that :whistling: ...and then run like mad...he'll get in, drive a metre and then the engine cuts out (?). You then hope he's not good at shooting, or you can outrun him.... :winky:

Sorry Jamboo its not goanna work like that. If you get out and run without turning the engine off your car can still be driven until 1) it runs out of fuel 2)the engine is turned off. It then cannot be restarted without the key near it obviously.

In other words if the engine is running you can walk off without it stopping and all you get is a message saying “key out of range” on the dash, the engine continues to run.

Sorry Jamboo its not goanna work like that. If you get out and run without turning the engine off your car can still be driven until 1) it runs out of fuel 2)the engine is turned off. It then cannot be restarted without the key near it obviously.

In other words if the engine is running you can walk off without it stopping and all you get is a message saying “key out of range” on the dash, the engine continues to run.

Time for some kevlar coating then! :winky: :winky:

Time for some kevlar coating then! :winky: :winky:

Oh G0de! So you can still get "Iced" or whatever they call it...

I suppose you get out of the car, push the button to switch the thing off, and post the keys into the nearest gutter! That way they can't take your car...but they could take your life...

Oh well, just let them drive off....I suppose, but the keep the key in your pocket!