Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is250: Overhead Console

I live in Sweden and I ordered a IS250 some weeks ago - delivery in April!

I asked the sales person about the "overhead console" described in the Owner's Guide (section 3-4 "Using the Storage Features") , i.e. the compartment above your head where you can store sunglasses etc.

He said that it was not possible to order it for the Swedish market unfortunately.

Then I sent an e-mail to Lexus of Sweden and got the reply that it is not possible to order this with an IS250 for the European market yet.

Is this true also for UK, are you guys also missing out on this convenient compartment?

I'm currently overseas in the US and went to a Lexus dealer here to see that the overhead console seemed to be installed as standard (on a IS350, though). I asked if it was possible to buy it as a spare part/accessory, but the sales person said that it wasn't possible :crybaby:

I find it really annoying, it seems that the cavity in the roof already exists and that you would be able to replace the plastic "mock" thingy with the real thing, has anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks for any input.

/Daniel

I saw the console in the US Manual and it is also in the UK manual but alas no console in my car, which as you say is a shame as they would be v. handy for sunglasses.

It would be interesting to hear what the UK dealers say about this.

I just can't imagine why this seemingly "easy to install" option would be left out...

Oh well, I guess time will give us the option to order it sooner or later :)

if the part exists it can be ordered, all you need is the part number

How would I go about finding the part number?

Is there a Lexus web site for locating parts for ordering?

I took a picture of the "part" with my mobile phone, here it is:

is350_sunglass_compartment_open_133.jpg

Do you have a picture of what is in its' place when the sunglass holder is not fitted?

From what I remember of Koshimi's is .... that there is just a blank plastic cover thing there.

It would be good to know if just the blank plastic cover can be replaced or the whole light and moonroof control section has to be replaced. I will take a look next time I am in the dealer. I only take delivery at end of Feb so will probably take a couple of trips to vist one of my car's cousins before mine arrives.

are you still in the states?

have you tried contacting a dealer here or Lexus parts distributor? I'm sure they can look up the part for you. For example:

http://www.lexus-parts.com/prodlist.asp?ModelID=150

Maybe you can have it shipped back home to you.

Thanks for the advice.

I did go to the "Lexus of Charleston" dealer but they said there were no parts/accessories to order until later, March/April, something like that. They didn't unfortunately seem to be too interested in helping me more with the issue, they just stated "different markes have different options" :(

But if anyone knows or could find out the part number I would be very happy :D

/Daniel

Contact Lexus Sewell in texas, there always willing to help

I'm in Texas at the mo, I'll call in to Lexus and have a look/get part number/check availability.

My UK model just has a blank panel where that compartment is shown. I have no sunroof so the panel is completely different with no dial control, just buttons for the reading lights and the maid door light.

Shown here:

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...pic=28182&st=0#

Hopefully I have got to the bottom of this issue :blink:.

My Lexus dealer has advised that the sunglass holder has been pulled out of many markets to prevent possible litigation. The holder is great for a pair of Ray Ban aviators, but some of the larger styles such as D&G, Gucci and Dior are too big to fit easily. Naturally, at US$600.00 plus per pair, Lexus is scared of people damaging them trying to squeeze them into a small holder.

Seems to be a logical reason, else Lexus would offer it as an option which they are refusing to do. I can buy and install one myself, but Lexus won't have anything to do with it.

The plot thickens :yawn:

Browsing the Lexus Japan website came across this IS250 sunglass holder. It is under the dealer fitted options.

Being a non-smoker am happy to lose the ashtray and lighter. In fact surprised to find a lighter at all.

Have a business associate in Japan so will try to find out more about it.

Other nice stuff as well at http://lexus.jp/models/is/spec/accessory/interior.html although the descriptions don't make sense :lol:

The plot thickens :yawn:

Browsing the Lexus Japan website came across this IS250 sunglass holder. It is under the dealer fitted options.

Being a non-smoker am happy to lose the ashtray and lighter. In fact surprised to find a lighter at all.

Have a business associate in Japan so will try to find out more about it.

Other nice stuff as well at http://lexus.jp/models/is/spec/accessory/interior.html although the descriptions don't make sense :lol:

Just translated the Sunglass Holder description from Japanese to English online at Babel Fish.

"You replace with the ashtray section which includes the cigar socket, it is the case of this leather specification. When the depth adjustment is possible with main leather make parition plate of attachment, sets to sublevel the inside of the tray dividing into the top and bottom, 2 sunglasses and the like it is possible to supply. In addition, if you spread in the tray base, it becomes the receipt space of bigger capacity."

:o :o :o :o

Just translated the Sunglass Holder description from Japanese to English online at Babel Fish.

"You replace with the ashtray section which includes the cigar socket, it is the case of this leather specification. When the depth adjustment is possible with main leather make parition plate of attachment, sets to sublevel the inside of the tray dividing into the top and bottom, 2 sunglasses and the like it is possible to supply. In addition, if you spread in the tray base, it becomes the receipt space of bigger capacity."

:o :o :o :o

Not sure id be able to spread myself in the tray base, but hey, I'll take two please :D