Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wanted

Rob's Lexx

found out the cause of my rattle from the near side rear....apparently the springs that hold the rear inborn shoes to the back plate have become :tsktsk: 'd.

does anybody have a set of the above for sale, or know where i can pick them up for a reasonable price.

cheers

rob

you could try a florist or a bakers but i suspect you might have some luck at Halfords - take the original with you - but the garage that fitted them should have items like this in stock, if not its a lexus dealer to look on the IPC

how come the springs suddenly broke when they changed the discs - they must have seen this before fitting the new ones.

now why didn't i think of a florists?!?!

ordered the parts from lexus, said its half hours labour for fitting....take it its an easy job then???

Errrr.....

Once the wheel's off, more like 5 mins! :blink:

Looks like you are gonna be owing me some more beers Rob.....bring her round :winky:

ordered the parts from lexus, said its half hours labour for fitting....take it its an easy job then???

Errrr.....

Looks like you are gonna be owing me some more beers Rob.....bring her round :winky:

u sure mike, its not a problem mate if lexus do it. i know i'll be £50 out of pocket but havn't the foggiest how to do it myself.

Errrr.....

u sure mike, its not a problem mate if lexus do it. i know i'll be £50 out of pocket but havn't the foggiest how to do it myself.

Lexus price = £50

Morse price = 1 case Stella

no brainer.....and you'll learn how to do it yourself in future!

Errrr.....

Lexus price = £50

Morse price = 1 case Stella

no brainer.....and you'll learn how to do it yourself in future!

:lol::lol:

hmmmm.....see where your coming from there mate

I still fail to see how the retaining springs/pins could have failed - there is no need to touch these during a disc change - unless they took the shoes off as well

i agree!

problem is, i wasn't there and can only go on what i was told. :duh:

just gotta bite the bullet on this one and get it sorted......then, never use the garage again!!!!

I can only imagine they removed the shoes to take the glaze off the friction material and then during the refit forgot to put the springs back -but you and mike will see the truth when u get it done.

might be wise to have a good look at all the wheels/brakes incase they forgot something else!

I can only imagine they removed the shoes to take the glaze off the friction material and then during the refit forgot to put the springs back -but you and mike will see the truth when u get it done.

might be wise to have a good look at all the wheels/brakes incase they forgot something else!

yea will do.

what do you mean by see the truth??? i've ordered the replacement parts so i guess it'll just be a case of replacing the broken spring (as this is whats causing the rattling sound, i believe!!!!)

by truth i mean you will see if a spring is broken or if they forgot to put it on / back.

But for them to see if the spring was broken they would have had to remove the rear disc, and once the disc is off it takes about 2 mins to replace the spring .

by truth i mean you will see  if a spring is broken or if they forgot to put it on / back.

But for them to see if the spring was broken they would have had to remove the rear disc, and once the disc is off it takes  about 2 mins to replace the spring .

well they said that when they took the rear disc off for the second time (after i noticed the rattling sound) the spring about flew off and it was all warped/bent. so they had to botch a replacement to hold it until i could get the correct part (hence, its rattling like a biatch now).

if they had forgot to put the spring back on, would it still have caused a loud rattle to be heard??

other thing is that he said the spring was a pain to change......i say he's a :tsktsk:

cheers

rob

springs on the brakes just dont warp and bend by themselves, they just sit there and do what they are meant to do, they might break if they are so rusted away to allow that.

BMW handbrake springs are a rear pain due to the strange system they use, but toyota use a simple system and even to replace the shoes and all the springs is easy, the pain is that it is a bit dirty

but mike will see it is done properly.

with THESE it is soooooo easy , also removes the risk of damaging yourself when the normal pliers slip on the main return springs.

from what u have said i assume the spring that is broken is the return spring on the end of the shoes

springs on the brakes just dont warp and bend by themselves, they just sit there and do what they are meant to do, they might break if they are  so rusted away to allow that.

BMW handbrake springs are a rear pain due to the strange system they use,  but toyota use a simple system and even to replace the shoes and all the springs is easy,  the pain is that it is a bit dirty

but mike will see it is done properly.

with THESE  it is soooooo easy ,  also removes the risk of damaging yourself when the normal pliers slip on the main  return springs.

from what u have said i assume  the spring that is broken is the return spring on the end of the shoes

i dunno mate.

i was told that the spring that was broken was the spring that holds the rear inborne shoes against the back plate. dunno whether thats the return spring or not?

like i said, they have just botched a spring together (from a different car me thinks) to hold in place till i get the parts!!! but i aint gonna trust them with it.....even if they paid me!!!!

that spring is about 2cm long and is held with a small pin, impossible to see how it can break - only item that can break is the retaining pin and the retaining washer.

i'll have a quick look for a picture

that spring is about  2cm long and is held with a small pin, impossible to see how it can break - only item that can break is the retaining pin and the retaining washer.

ok mate.

i don't understand how everything is set up so its hard for me to understand what they're talking about.

but if this is broken/missing would it sound likely to cause the rattling sound.

that spring is about  2cm long and is held with a small pin, impossible to see how it can break - only item that can break is the retaining pin and the retaining washer.

ok mate.

i don't understand how everything is set up so its hard for me to understand what they're talking about.

but if this is broken/missing would it sound likely to cause the rattling sound.

hi,

ok the best i could find was THIS PICTURE its not the same as your but similar ( you do not have the cylinder) - the spring they refer to is the " hold down spring" a small pin goes from the back of the backing plate, thru the brake shoe and hold down spring then the pin, and spring ( under compression at this time) is all held together by a shaped washer. This arrangement firmly holds the brake shoes against the backing plate thus stopping them from flapping about - so if this is left out/broken then yes it can cause the sound u have been hearing

ok mate.

hi,

ok the best i could find was THIS PICTURE its not the same as your but similar ( you do not have the cylinder) - the spring they refer to is the " hold down spring" a small pin goes from the back of the backing plate, thru the brake shoe and hold down spring then the pin, and spring ( under compression at this time) is all held together by a shaped washer. This arrangement firmly holds the brake shoes against the backing plate thus stopping them from flapping about - so if this is left out/broken then yes it can cause the sound u have been hearing

hmmm, makes a little more sense now. thanks for that mate.

its not likely to be the return spring then???

whats the function of this spring???

from the description prob not - but u never know!

the return spring is exactly that -

when you apply the handbrake a cable pulls a small lever that works like a cam, as the "cam" rotates this forces the brake shoes against the drum. To return the brake shoes to the normal position strong springs are attached between the end of the 2 shoes, so that when the handbrake is released the springs pull the shoes away from the drum.

have a quick look at howstuffworks.com and type in drum brake - this gives quite a good understanding - but remember your car only uses drum brakes for the handbrake or " emergency brake" as the yanks call it - so you will not have a brake cylinder for the drum - but the principle is the same.

from the description prob not -  but u never know!

the return spring is exactly that -

when you apply the handbrake a cable pulls a small lever that works like a cam, as the "cam" rotates this forces the brake shoes against the drum.  To return the brake shoes to the normal position strong springs are attached between the end of the 2 shoes, so that when the handbrake is released the springs pull the  shoes away from the drum.

have a quick look at howstuffworks.com  and type in drum brake -  this gives quite a good understanding - but remember your car only uses drum brakes for the handbrake  or " emergency brake" as the yanks call it -  so  you will not have a brake cylinder for the drum -  but the principle is the same.

reason i ask is coz i just wanted to make sure i had ordered the correct part. the chap at the garage told me that it was the spring the pushes the inborne shoe against the back plate......so that isn't the return spring.

are they both just as easy to fit???

that spring isnt the return spring - you can get a pack of brake springs/pins/washers from Halfords for a few £.

the backing plate spring takes a minute to fit, once the disc if off of course.

the return springs take a bit of effort to stretch if you are using normal pliers, but they are not a prob normally

personally i think the garage has screwed up, and there blaming the spring, i think they forgot to put it on, and as a means of replacing it, there making up the story you have been told.

there is no way the spring could have rusted away, bent broke or busted in the age that the cars are now.

unless

its been sitting on blackpool beach for 5 years...i smell a garage screw up, and your paying for it :excl:

Edited by Monster-Mat

yea i agree mat!!!!

can i get hold of the required spring from halfords (i,e the one that holds the shoe against the backing plate)?? coz lexus want £25 for the near side pin,spring and clip!!! bit OTT IMO :ohmy:  :blink:

no you wont be able to get it from Halfords, however PM me.....i have an idea.

so cunning if you pinned a tail on it you could call it a fox