Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Couple of quick questions regarding the newly acquired 97 GS300.

1) The boot release button doesnt release. Manual says there is a key barrel switch to set the operation on or off. Trouble is my one and only key doesnt turn the switch. Any ideas?

2) Bootlid rams appear to be failing such that bootlid crashes down (usually on my head :sick: ) are they relativly straight forwqard to change?

Looking forward to saturday - first opportunity to play with the car in the daylight!

regards

Neil

Hi,

Yep the key will if its the right one turn and the key unit should pop out about 15 mm and the electric button release should then work,sort of extra security so they cant get in the boot if they break into the car.The button should only work when the engine not running,maybe the keys worn or the starter steering unit has been replaced before you had the car :unsure:

the boot rams are a common Lexus problem in general on most of the models,had that problem with the bonnet rams on me Ls400 and ive the same problem with the boot on my Aristo(GS300 shell)

Not looked into how much they are to replace but by Lexus prices it wont be cheap :angry: to replace.

Ive also got tobe careful not to loose my head if the boot was to come down :D .

Rams wont be to much trouble to change its just the cost of them,id say bet it would be £100 at a guess :unsure:

Cheers chips.

Couple of quick questions regarding the newly acquired 97 GS300.

1) The boot release button doesnt release. Manual says there is a key barrel switch to set the operation on or off. Trouble is my one and only key doesnt turn the switch. Any ideas?

2) Bootlid rams appear to be failing such that bootlid crashes down (usually on my head  :sick: ) are they relativly straight forwqard to change?

Looking forward to saturday - first opportunity to play with the car in the daylight!

regards

Neil

Hi,

1) you must have the sub key..i bet it doesn't lock the glove box either. This key only works the drivers door and ignition i think.

2)The boot on these are operated by torsion bars and are adjustable (3 settings on each side)

I replaced the gas struts on my GS with some off eBay from the States.

Fitting was not too much of a problem so long as you don't loose the fittings down in the rear wheelarches.

I paid just over £55 incl postage for the pair if I remember correctly.

I should have the details of the seller somewhere if it helps.

is yours mk1 or mk2? boot is only adjustable on mk2.........

Thanks for all the replies. Not sure if its mk1 or 2? How do I tell the difference??

The ignition key fits the boot lock and if I read it right the "sub" key wouldnt do that. I've only got the 1 key with the car so I'll get another cut (dont tell me - it'll cost!!). Have got the key number at least.

Finally got it taxed today (PO refused a fexed cover note :tomato: ) so have been able to drive it at last. Drives lovely, would seem that air con isnt drying the air though so need to get that checked out. Otherwise everything works and very pleased with it. Gives my other motor a well earned rest and it can hide away from this nasty weather.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links