Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

The Old Lcd Display Chestnut

I have often read about displays going dark and other problems being fixed by replacing capacitors as I recall.

I am noticing the number 4 if the tuner shows radio 4 or the CD timer minute counter minute digit is mising some of its bars ie showing incomplete numbers.

Is this down to capacitors as well?

Is it a big, car disabling deal to get these out for refurb?

How much to refurb both LCd panels?

I have often read about displays going dark and other problems being fixed by replacing capacitors as I recall.

I am noticing the number 4 if the tuner shows radio 4 or the CD timer minute counter minute digit is mising some of its bars ie showing incomplete numbers.

Is this down to capacitors as well?

Is it a big, car disabling deal to get these out for refurb?

How much to refurb both LCd panels?

Me too....I seem to recall reading that the Hi-Fi bit (as opposed to the Air con) can't be fixed easily. But would be happy to find I'm wrong! as mine has gone worse than yours. (Can't read anything. I put it down to heat etc. ) The guy on e-bay selling replcement can only do the Air con screens. As I'm selling the car imminently (and that's the only fault on the car!) it'd be nice to sort it out.

Autosound in Bradford did mine - they are used by Lexus main agents!

Would love to have a few more details (as I'm sure others would?).

Did you have to take car in? Or remove the Hi-Fi front bit? If so, how easy was it etc.

Plus; how much was it...has it survived exposure to the world etc....

Mister Skellington, you already asked me this question!

www.autosound.co.uk - fixed the backlighting and did an improvement mod. to the circuit. They also replaced the LCD. Done 7 months ago, still perfect. Cost £180 inc VAT, which was 10% of what Lexus Norwich quoted me (no comment). Now I can see what track I am playing, as well as see the buttons at night - worth every pound!

Getting it out? Took me 45 mins the first time, and about 10 mins the second. I used a flat-bladed scraper to prise up the wood.

www.autosound.co.uk - fixed the backlighting and did an improvement mod. to the circuit. They also replaced the LCD. Done 7 months ago, still perfect. Cost £180 inc VAT, which was 10% of what Lexus Norwich quoted me (no comment). Now I can see what track I am playing, as well as see the buttons at night - worth every pound!

Getting it out? Took me 45 mins the first time, and about 10 mins the second. I used a flat-bladed scraper to prise up the wood.

Whoops. :blush::blush: SOOOOOO sorry! It's the fading brain cells. It happens to us all in time......I must be in sychronicity with the display?

Will download this and have it on paper! (I used to be a Librarian in a previous life!)

Though 'prising up the wood' sounds ominous! Will advise my prospective buyer.....if I get one! :)

Whoops. :blush::blush: SOOOOOO sorry! It's the fading brain cells. It happens to us all in time......I must be in sychronicity with the display?

Will download this and have it on paper! (I used to be a Librarian in a previous life!)

Though 'prising up the wood' sounds ominous! Will advise my prospective buyer.....if I get one! :)

Chris,

I am the bloke who refurbishes the Mk 1 & 2 LS climate controls with new LCD displays, I have a detailed attachment with photo that I can send you re: removing the radio and c/c units.

Trust me they are very simple to remove with hardly any tools required as they are mostly held in with spring clips, you really will be surprised just how easy this job is.

I have sent these instructions out to owners of all abilities who have posted their units to me for repair, all have sucessfully removed them without any problems, get in touch if you still want the instructions.

Regards,

Chris Vince

Chris,

I am the bloke who refurbishes the Mk 1 & 2 LS climate controls with new LCD displays, I have a detailed attachment with photo that I can send you re: removing the radio and c/c units.

Trust me they are very simple to remove with hardly any tools required as they are mostly held in with spring clips, you really will be surprised just how easy this job is.

I have sent these instructions out to owners of all abilities who have posted their units to me for repair, all have sucessfully removed them without any problems, get in touch if you still want the instructions.

Regards,

Chris Vince

roycerolls@madasafish.com if on computer. Many thanks for this; was just talking to prospective buyer about this today (Maneesh, take note :winky: )

Mine is Ser 3 of course, but guess the details will be similar? It was the wood I was wary of; don't want to scratch anything. (I know...cover it up and wrap the blade...)

Now, when you get to refurbish Ser 3 Stereo screens, your kindness will be even more rewarded! Thanks a lot.

To Mr Chris Vince, Please send me the attachment re. removal of displays. Do you NOT do the Audio ones then? Thanks...

cdommett@netscape.net

I notice that the bars on the 4 are back then gone again!!!

Is this a gremlin or signs of a failing unit?

The wood pops up at the cup-holder end (it's secured by two clips there) and slides towards the back of the car. Be careful not to crack the wood, prying it up with your fingers in the back corners of the gearstick slot should release it.

The ashtray and its surround comes out next, this too is clipped in. Get your hand underneath and pull forward, trying not to put too much strain on the ashtray itself. Might be easier to open the ashtray and try and grip the surround there as well. It's stiff, but it'll come out (IN ONE PIECE - ASHTRAY PLUS WOOD SURROUND).

Top vent assembly is clipped in, angle the vents so you can grip the whole thing and it pops out. Unplug the hazard warning switch (this will disable your indicators, so don't go driving anywhere) and remove completely.

You will now find 4 bolts in the corners. Undo these and the air-con panel will come forward complete with the radio.

Four connectors at the back now, these can be a swine to get out, popping the release catch by pressing with a Philips screwdriver is easier than using your fingers!

Four screws (two each side) secure the air-con panel to the side brackets. Remove these, and the panel can be popped out (it's still held in by pegs either side, I managed to get the unit out without loosening any radio bolts).

I managed to do this on a mate's Mk.1 LS on the weekend, so it's still pretty fresh in my memory.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links