Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cigar Lighter On

IanB

Does anyone know if it's easy to make the fag lighters work when the ignition is turned off (on IS300SC), and if so what's involved? I'd like to operate accessories like an air pump or portable sat nav charger, without having to keep the key in.

My wife's Focus allows this!

Thanks,

IanB :D

Does anyone know if it's easy to make the fag lighters work when the ignition is turned off (on IS300SC), and if so what's involved? I'd like to operate accessories like an air pump or portable sat nav charger, without having to keep the key in.

My wife's Focus allows this!

Thanks,

you would need to change the feed from ignition live to perm live, but make sure you fuse it

you would need to change the feed from ignition live to perm live, but make sure you fuse it

Yes, good point about the fuse. However, because I don't have access to a wiring diagram, I don't know what else might be connected on the same circuit which should be left alone. Also I haven't a clue where to start looking to connect/disconnect.

I'm just trying to get an idea of how complex this would be to do, because I'm not going to rip up the car interior for something "nice to have" like this.

Should I even be contemplating doing this?

IanB :unsure:

there is only the feed wire, light for lighter and the earth connected at the cigar lighter, you would need to cut the wire (Battery disconnected) and run a new fused wire to the Battery.

ensuring you make the old ignition feed wire safe, by heat shrinking the end, so it cannot short

Thats how i would do it anyway, oh, and the fuse needs to be the Battery side of the bulkhead

there is only the feed wire, light for lighter and the earth connected at the cigar lighter, you would need to cut the wire (battery disconnected) and run a new fused wire to the battery.

ensuring you make the old ignition feed wire safe, by heat shrinking the end, so it cannot short

Thats how i would do it anyway, oh, and the fuse needs to be the battery side of the bulkhead

That's great, many thanks. In my case, I've a second lighter socket in the rear luggage compartment (Sportcross), but I imagine that is simply connect to the cabin lighter. It also goes off with the ignition.

Cheers,

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links