Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

while browsing the Lexus site, looking at the new IS250, I noticed, that the LS430 used prices have dropped, so you can pick up a reasonable mileage 2001 for 20k...

Which is a hella lot of car for the money.

Thinking back a few years to when i drove one on the OpenRoad event, it blew me away, not just with its 'waft', but also its pace, and I couldnt believe how nimble it was, especially for its size...

Throw in all the equipment (including sat nav, massaging rear seats) and even for a 4 year old car, its impressive...

Of course, the downsides are, its a big car (would it fit in the garage i wonder - doubtful), and thirsty.. (what is a realistic MPG?)

So that just leaves running costs, such as servicing etc? Can anyone shed any light on this?

while browsing the Lexus site, looking at the new IS250, I noticed, that the LS430 used prices have dropped, so you can pick up a reasonable mileage 2001 for 20k...

Which is a hella lot of car for the money.

Thinking back a few years to when i drove one on the OpenRoad event, it blew me away, not just with its 'waft', but also its pace, and I couldnt believe how nimble it was, especially for its size...

Throw in all the equipment (including sat nav, massaging rear seats) and even for a 4 year old car, its impressive...

Of course, the downsides are, its a big car (would it fit in the garage i wonder - doubtful), and thirsty.. (what is a realistic MPG?)

So that just leaves running costs, such as servicing etc? Can anyone shed any light on this?

Big car; big costs. But at least reliable, so less surprises?

My experience of the LS 400 is that, once out of reach of guarantee, etc, it's just as easy for local garage to do maintenance...AND much cheaper. (Not that I've actually DONE that! But have costed up jobs in local garage and its much less. The basic structure of the car isn't hi-tech.

Uses less fuel than an IS 200, it seems! But loses in depreciation at frightening rate?

maintainance will be way more than IS200, esp with air suspension on cars that reach 6 or 7 years old. watch out! all these gizmos on new luxury cars are great when working, but a pig to fix when the car is old. fuel economy is amazing considering weight and performance and engine size. built to a 50k+ level, so parts will NOT be cheap. it might be a reliable lexus, but it's still a luxury car, and any luxury car cannot be considered cheap to look after. i took my old LS400 for a service when i first had it..1300 quid..300 for the service and a grand to put new pads and discs at lexus..it was worth 16 grand at the time, so fair enough..

But loses in depreciation at frightening rate?

EXACTLY why the LS is such a GREAT value car.

I paid 3k for a 55k car which runs like new.

I did not need a loan, so it owes me very little.

It only has to last a year to break even with the depreciation of a brand new town car.

Would I like to drive a town car for a year or a high performance luxury executive machine ????

And after that year, which car is suddenly lossing me less money.

I've convinced myself that my next car will be another LS400, might even be an LS460 by the time this LS400 needs renewal.

My Boss had the mk4,i know because the LS430 came out the mk4 older shape would loose more money quickly.Asked me if i was interested in buying it as he was trading in,it was low mileage and he was offered 20K for it,offered it to me for the same price,glad i didnt buy it as two years ish later there selling for around 8K upwards :o

Like you say Figs lot of car for the money at 20K hang on abit though and they will be even more of a bargin :)

Big cars just arent selling well over the last year or so ;)

When I had my LS I used to drive to Newbury and back once a week.

I took my wifes car which was at the time a new Mitsubishi Carisma. On the round trip there was £10 difference on the fuel.

£5 each way. Needless to say which was the better drive and for that sort of money for the luxury and power I thought it was well worth it.

£10 over almost 400 miles is pretty good. And mine was a 94 model so I am sure the newer models would do better.

Which is a hella lot of car for the money"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And I seen an 04/04 with 33K one owner in platinum ice going in the trade for an asking price of £23,600 only about 10 days ago. Remarkable value. Even on the forecourt it would probably be available for £27K or so.

Sorry, it was a GS430!

watch out! all these gizmos on new luxury cars are great when working, but a pig to fix when the car is old.

But how often do those gizmos go wrong, apart from maybe the air con display? This is a Lexus, not a Jag. :D