Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Question Re Automatic Is 200 Se

Manxmaid

I have recently bought an IS200 SE automatic (2000) - which I am most impressed with, but for one niggle. I wonder if anyone else has experienced the same problem? I live on a 1 in 5 hill which I have to stop at the top of everyday. I end up having to use the handbrake to hold the car on the hill, otherwise it runs back - i.e. doesn't hold on the automatic. It has been in to the local dealer who says that all Lexus automatics are the same and other owners have apparently complained but nothing can be done. Can this be right? Can anyone help this maiden in distress? :blink:

i assumed she meant in drive, why would you put it in park for a momentary stop :winky:

an option would be to hold the brake pedal with your left foot

mercedes automatics have the same problem, even worse when you have a foot operated handbrake :crybaby:

Yes......she means when in drive.You get to the top of the hill R foot on brake and as you release R foot car rolls back............I get the same problem on a hill and junction, so L foot on brake. As you prepare to move off, put slight pressure on accelerator for gears to bite then take L foot off brake..........Away you go roll back problem solved.........Then again I have a foot operated Parking brake on mine

Its all down to how much torque the engine puts out at low revs and the gearing....Rolls Royce claimed years ago that there cars will not roll back when in a forward gear on a hill when at a standstill.Rolls Royce used to use a V8 6750cc engine when claiming this so theres no reason not to believe them.RR never used to dishcloths its power/torque output other than it was sufficient :)

A 1 in 5 hill would be tricky to walk up thats roughly how steep it is :)

Cheers chips.

I've had that once on a steep hill, so use the handbrake now.

If you look at it this way, if the car would hold going up a 1 in 5 hill you would need some serious brakes to stop it going forward on the level.

Also try left foot on the brakes, floor it, then take the left foot off.

I've had that once on a steep hill, so use the handbrake now.

If you look at it this way, if the car would hold going up a 1 in 5 hill you would need some serious brakes to stop it going forward on the level.

Also try left foot on the brakes, floor it, then take the left foot off.

Thank you everyone for your quick responses. It's nice to know it's not just me and my driving! :blush:

The problem is when it is is Drive - and a 1 in 5 hill is not too excessive (not on the Isle of Man anyway). I also had an automatic before which was no problem at all - in fact it was a boon, as the halt sign in question is particularly awkward on a busyT junction - with poor visibility aswell. In my other automatic you just drove up to the stop sign, held it on the foot brake and then just took off and hey presto you were away - no need at all to use the handbrake. Looks like I will have to get out there and practice or think again whether I want to keep the Lexus. I would feel very hard of parting with it though.

PS Even 'him indoors' finds it tricky!!!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links