Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What To Watch Out For On Is200

Boff

I have a 99V IS200 SE Navigator Auto which is just approaching 100k with FSH. So far in the year I have had it I have had 2 problems, one was the well-known err3 on the cd player (currently being mended on 3rd party warranty) the other was a steering alignment problem, probably caused by a pothole, which kn*ckered 2 front tyres very quickly (a whole 1 degree out on the driver's side front). Apart from that the car has been faultless. I am the 3rd owner, the first was a company, hence the mileage.

Question is, which of the major/expensive components tends to fail or need replacing first as the mileage increases on an IS200? There must be some very high milers out there, what are the experiences of their owners? I am keen to know as I want to keep this one on the road for several more years without incurring massive bills, it was bought because of the Lexus reputation for strength and reliability, has this been borne out in practice? :question:

My last Company Car was a IS 200SE & I did 85000 miles in 21mnths visiting Europe many times.Tyre wear was the only issue & even then my original set was only changed once as my journeys were all motorway.Since retiring c.3yrs, ago had a IS Sport & IS 300 from new and the only issue is tyre wear(c. 20k).4 wheel geometry IS critical with wide low profile tyres &/or 18" wheels as neither like Potholes for obvious reason.

Terry :driving:

With my '01 IS200, the only things which have needed changing (in 100,000 km) are:

Pretty much the usual consumables...

Tyres (changed after 4 years)

Tail/Brake lamp bulbs (2 bulbs since new)

brake pads (2 sets since new)

Cam belt (in the 75,000km major service)

The driver's side "bum warmer" indicator lamp has blown, but the heated seat still works.

Other than that, nothing majorly expensive... (other than a full set of tyres all 'round).

It still has the original wheels, which are the old style and subject to a bit of corrosion, so might have those changed out eventually... it's my Missus who drives the IS mostly these days since I have the Rx now.

Leland

I noticed my water pump had leaked under service inspection but it had sealed itself. Just lots of dried pink residue. Alloy wheels corrode regardless of age.

Only thing ive had to replace is tyres due to allignment out. Had the car little over a year.

I noticed my water pump had leaked under service inspection but it had sealed itself. Just lots of dried pink residue. Alloy wheels corrode regardless of age.

Only thing ive had to replace is tyres due to allignment out. Had the car little over a year.

New to the forum and thinking about buying and IS.

What sort of costs would I be looking at for cambelt changes, services and other items described in this thread?

thanks, Simon.