Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Morons Who Take Up Two Lanes

Thanks to the moron in his transit van (or something of similar size) going in the opposite direction who decided it would be wise to take up both lanes. As he passed me, his wing mirror knocked mine, and totally smashed the glass. He of course didn't stop. The mirror housing is fine, and not even scratched from the impact (oddly enough)! I stopped and pushed the backplate back into the socket. Still sort of useable as a mirror despite the glass being smashed since the reflective plate behind is still more or less intact. The photochromic gel between the back plate and glass is splattered everywhere though. The adjustment motors still work fine was well... just the smashed glass plate.

Need to phone the local Lexus dealer parts department to see about getting a new driver's side door mirror (glass section only) -- any ideas as to approximate cost before I decide whether I should be sitting down or kicking the cat when I phone them?

Annoying as hell.

Leland

I would proably imagine something stupid like £30 - £45 mate ........... :crybaby:

and the rest of the 0's on the end ... this is Lexus we're talking about .. not Fiat .. hehe

L.

can u get one froma breakers yard?

Don't know of any scrapped 400h's yet ;)

I'm curious to know why the parts departments at Lexus need to know the full chassis-number of the vehicle for what is effectively a bulk-produced standard part.

oh well...

L.

can u get one froma breakers yard?

Don't know of any scrapped 400h's yet ;)

I'm curious to know why the parts departments at Lexus need to know the full chassis-number of the vehicle for what is effectively a bulk-produced standard part.

oh well...

L.

Because even thought they are mass produced vehicles the part numbers can be different. Even the slightest moddification that is made changes the part number !

Because even thought they are mass produced vehicles the part numbers can be different. Even the slightest moddification that is made changes the part number !

Thanks.. was curious on that.. make sense I guess. And thanks for the info in P.M...

L.

or could it be 4x4 + transit van= british roads not wide enough???????? :D :shutit: :shutit:

seriously though, i take my kid on the bike to school down a typical country lane, yet i`m the one who has to brake/move over/ let the vehicle through!!!!!

I`ve even been hit in the back the other day by a wing mirror on a toyota landcruiser that was trying to squeeze past!!!!! And yes, it was a clean vehicle, one driver, and yet the 4x4 capabilities of the damn thing meant that he couldn`t possibly have gone up the grassy verge, oh no. Buerk.

Hi,

Might be worth giving Swift Salvage a call never know they might have what you Need

Know what you mean about driving standards,seems not many drivers seem to know how wide there motors are nowadays,they all seem to hug the middle white line with 3 foot from the curb to spare :angry:

Well.. follow up.. Ordered the part from Lexus and it arrived today.

So, I trundle down to Lexus MK to pick it up. Paid me dosh, got out to the car park.. looked at it...

um... wrong part!

(The guy had typed the part number wrong on the order, apparently).

He re-ordered the right part express for delivery in the afternoon, but I explained that due to work etc., I couldn't go back.

So, they took the mirror from another RX400h in the stock compound and will replace it with the one ordered, so I was able to resolve the issue without going back and forth.

Kudos to Lexus MK for their Customer Service.

Mirror now fixed :)

Leland

Know what you mean about driving standards,seems not many drivers seem to know how wide there motors are nowadays,they all seem to hug the middle white line with 3 foot from the curb to spare :angry:

Oddly enough, the two vehicles in front of said transit van were (in the order that I passed them) one rubbish lorry/dust-cart, and one double-decker bus. Both of them managed to get by with no problems.

Problem is that I couldn't exactly go too much futher to the left as I was already scraping the wheel edges on the curb and right next to that is the stone wall of the bridge that this was on. :tsktsk:

Yes, okay, it's a fairly narrow bridge, but if busses and lorries can successfully navigate it, it should be no problem for a transit. Guess I'm also a bit peaved that the guy didn't even bother to stop either.

L.

The same thing happened to me with the wing mirror. The gel behind the glass ran down the side of the car and splattered everywhere.It stained the paintwork and had to have a respray---nightmare.

How about you??Did this happen?

The same thing happened to me with the wing mirror. The gel behind the glass ran down the side of the car and splattered everywhere.It stained the paintwork and had to have a respray---nightmare.

How about you??Did this happen?

It splattered, but didn't stain.. washed off with no real problems... so no respray (thank goodness). Didn't realise that the gel was kind of phosphorous green in colour until I removed the old mirror the next day when I got some of it on my hands.

L.