Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Audi Tt

Lex-aholic

I'm thinking about trading in the IS200 next year for a 2nd hand Audi TT (I know it's a long time away, but I like to plan ahead so I can avoid as much finance borrowing as possible !)

Just been stalking the TT owners club, and there seems to be a common problem with the dashpod - basically the dials. It begins with the lights flickering, the clock then resets to 1997, and then it completely blacks out taking the immobiliser with it (that's a non-technical breakdown for all you non-technical people like me). To get this repaired costs approx £800 as it is job that can only be done by Audi as you need codes. :blink: Audi UK refuse to pay for it even though it's a common problem as there has been no recall from Audi Germany where the car's manufactured.

Has anybody else every owned a TT and experienced the above problem, because I'm now starting to have second thoughts ?

It does make you feel quite humble about owning a Lexus. :)

I created this list for a friend of mine who bought a TT late last year that may be helpful:

Check the dashpods, coilpacks, window drop, maf sensors.

Get a Warranty!!...no seriously as I'm sure others will point out there are some well documented problems with the TT and they're expensive if they do go wrong....remember it's a performance car so parts aren't cheap and Audi charge about 95 quid an hour to fix things...I have had two Audi's both bought from main dealers for the warranties alone....touch wood my 2000 TTR has been fine but my 2.6 1997 cabriolet had 2k worth of work needed but all done under warranty

The early models were not subject to the coil pack failures

Check service book has been stamped by dates / mileage due

If poss get the Reg # & call a dealer to check that recall has been done & nothing out of the ordinary done e.g accident damage

Turbo, gearbox etc should be lasting 150k + but as suggested earlier get a Warranty

Check all usual things when buying a used car - VIN, reg doc, MOT, HPI etc etc

Get the VIN No and phone Audi Customer services, they should be able to tell you the history.

Spec wise, look out for ones without ESP, they just have a blank button to the left of the hazard warning switch. A few may be without a rear spoiler also. BOSE seems to be a must, and CD changer is desirable. If you can, aim for a fully laden 180, with climate control, DIS, Xenons and bigger alloys. There are a quite a few out there.

The ESP & spoiler was part of the recall although some owners didn't want to spoil the lines & opted not to fit the spoiler.

Audi decided that the airflow-sensors in the following TT's (recall 24H3)

'99: X1000101 to 026901

'00: Y1000001 to 091269

have to be renewed with airflow-sensors ending with D (180) and E (225). Normally guaranteed..

I created this list for a friend of mine who bought a TT late last year that may be helpful:

Check the dashpods, coilpacks, window drop, maf sensors.

Get a Warranty!!...no seriously as I'm sure others will point out there are some well documented problems with the TT and they're expensive if they do go wrong....remember it's a performance car so parts aren't cheap and Audi charge about 95 quid an hour to fix things...I have had two Audi's both bought from main dealers for the warranties alone....touch wood my 2000 TTR has been fine but my 2.6 1997 cabriolet had 2k worth of work needed but all done under warranty

The early models were not subject to the coil pack failures

Check service book has been stamped by dates / mileage due

If poss get the Reg # & call a dealer to check that recall has been done & nothing out of the ordinary done e.g accident damage

Turbo, gearbox etc should be lasting 150k + but as suggested earlier get a Warranty

Check all usual things when buying a used car - VIN, reg doc, MOT, HPI etc etc

Get the VIN No and phone Audi Customer services, they should be able to tell you the history.

Spec wise, look out for ones without ESP, they just have a blank button to the left of the hazard warning switch. A few may be without a rear spoiler also. BOSE seems to be a must, and CD changer is desirable. If you can, aim for a fully laden 180, with climate control, DIS, Xenons and bigger alloys. There are a quite a few out there.

The ESP & spoiler was part of the recall although some owners didn't want to spoil the lines & opted not to fit the spoiler.

Audi decided that the airflow-sensors in the following TT's (recall 24H3)

'99: X1000101 to 026901

'00: Y1000001 to 091269

have to be renewed with airflow-sensors ending with D (180) and E (225). Normally guaranteed..

Blimey, thanks for all the info Zee. That is really useful. :)

The only thing that you have mentioned above that I DID know about was the spoiler, and I noticed the other night down the gym that there is a Silver V Reg one which the owner never bothered sending back on recall. Does look kinda weird now that they all have the little spoiler on the back.

i ordered one of the first rhd 225 TT's before release in the UK while in germany, promptly cancelled because of the stability issues, the cars have had nothing put problems since release.

the biggy with the engines was flywheels breaking up

i ordered one of the first rhd 225 TT's before release in the UK while in germany, promptly cancelled because of the stability issues, the cars have had nothing put problems since release.

Sounds like I'm gonna have to re-think my next car. :huh: I only keep cars for about 2 years and then start wondering what it's like to drive the "next" car on the road.

The problem is.....where do you go after a Lexus ? :D

Sounds like I'm gonna have to re-think my next car. :huh: I only keep cars for about 2 years and then start wondering what it's like to drive the "next" car on the road.

Well its all down hill pretty much :lol:

I used to really like the Audi TT's but have heard nothing but bad things about them. I've gone off the shape of them to. Must be one of a handful of cars that if you put clear lights at the back you'd never which end was front and rear!! :duh:

Have you seen the new Audi TT? :sick:

Well its all down hill pretty much :lol:

I used to really like the Audi TT's but have heard nothing but bad things about them. I've gone off the shape of them to. Must be one of a handful of cars that if you put clear lights at the back you'd never which end was front and rear!! :duh:

Have you seen the new Audi TT? :sick:

That new TT looks yeeeeucchhh !! Really is not my taste, but I did say that about the new IS250's and that opinion has changed. Did you know that you can buy that front bumper / grille end for the new TT and fit it on your old TT - that's what alot of them are doing in the States.

Your quote about all down hill from now makes me regret buying a Lexus as I'm starting to believe it is sooo true :D

Where do you think?

Another Lexus of course....... :whistling:

Or copy Zee and matt and Mod the balls off it

That's the other brilliant problem with the IS200......I love it just the way it is (I feel a Barry White moment coming on !)

Don't get me wrong, i've thought of possible purchases, but don't think I could bring myself to sell my Lex!!

I did consider the Mercedes C-Class. You know the one with the big kinda window hatchback with the spoiler that wraps around it - kinda sporty. I had a look at one the other weekend and the biggest thing that put me off was the crappy patterned cloth seats :sick: They were disgusting !.

Did have a look at BMW 3 Serie's, but I got the feeling that they were living in the dark ages with their styling (especially inside). :angry:

So that's how I ended up considering a TT. I like both the interior and exterior styling (although the wheels can do with restyling). Plus, it's still a pretty good brand, although after what I've read about it I am seriously having second thoughts. They did say on the TT site that the aftersales had something to work on. And someone on there even said that he's considering moving to an IS200, and everybody who made comments basically come back with the brilliant aftercare from Lexus, and off course - the reliability. Some people did say that it's just a glorified Toyota, but they had responses with "it might be, but it still doesn't break down". :D