Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

1st Taste Of The New Is

I had my IS300 in for it's 40k service today which was a bit of a sting at £730 (new disks & pads req'd).

Anyways, they gave me a black IS250 - base model (and a manual - what the hell's that other pedal for?)

Very nice to look at, although the 16" wheels don't fill the arches much.

Interior is in a different league to the old car. I particularly like the instruments - very classy.

Room in the back is better I think, although the front of the cabin is rather too cosy - the big swooping A-pillars and short glass make it feel a little claustrophobic.

I can see why they put those HUGE door mirrors on - visibility everywhere else is not fantastic.

I was a bit disappointed with the boot. The opening is wider and the hinges don't intrude the same as the old one, but it is short on depth and the wheel arches rob a lot of space.

Keyless entry and push start are nice features. The engine is very quiet and smooth, as is the ride. Even on the "small" tyres it has plenty of grip. I didn't find the steering over-sensitive and the seats are very good, much better than the previous IS. So all in all a very nice drive.

Performance seemed about on a par with my 300 - I would like to try an auto though (might try and get one when mine goes back in for it's faulty headlamp leveller).

Interestingly, I noticed an occasional quiet rattle from the dash and a bit of wind rustle from the top of the drivers door at speed - I know these have cropped up for several new owners.

Overall, I was impressed - I soon got used to the cosy cabin. The only thing that would put me off really is the boot size.

Space is one of the things that hits you immediately - it is cramped in the back and the boot is small. What sold me on it was the styling, value for money and overall package - for the price you'd be mad to get anything else new, unless you really don't like the Lexus brand.

My Audi A4 is bigger internally (and boot is much bigger) and as well built. I would also wager that it is as quiet as the Lexus inside, does not suffer from road noise at all, and as well screwed together...but there's something about the Lexus brand that draws me to it...and where the Audi is staid and sombre inside, the Lexus is positively a delight!!

Oh yes - a New A4 comes out in 18 months or so, so it would be a waste of dosh buying a new one now...

No car is perfect, but for now this is close enough!

I had my IS300 in for it's 40k service today which was a bit of a sting at £730 (new disks & pads req'd).

Anyways, they gave me a black IS250 - base model (and a manual - what the hell's that other pedal for?)

Very nice to look at, although the 16" wheels don't fill the arches much.

It's the good looks that sell the car for me, I don't think the BM, Merc of Audi can compete in the style and looks stakes, in fact, I think the new three series looks very boring, dull, drab, mundane etc :D

Spot on mate - even to drive the beemer was the dullest, drabbest, most unmemorable of the bunch...and really poor value for money.

The dealer was trying to sell me a 320d Launch car (54 plate reg'd Jan 05 - yeah they offcially came out in March as 05's), which was decorated like a christmas tree - it had every option worth having for £27.5k.

The Lexus is in a different class - a mini Limo... B)