Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi,

As reported elsewhere the auto setting of the new AFS lights seems too low on my car (like the lowest setting on the Mk 2 model adjust), although reported as OK when checked at the dealer. Would it be possible to upgrade the HID on the AFS lights? Any ideas what bulb is in the new model and which to go for?

Thanks,

Marcus.

Hi,

As reported elsewhere the auto setting of the new AFS lights seems too low on my car (like the lowest setting on the Mk 2 model adjust), although reported as OK when checked at the dealer. Would it be possible to upgrade the HID on the AFS lights? Any ideas what bulb is in the new model and which to go for?

Thanks,

Marcus.

Are you referring to the intensity of the headlights or the 'aim'. I have found that new cars appear to have healights set lower, less dazzling to other drivers, but less illumination for us. The AFS systems are great on twisty roads, but with the very sharp cut-off of HIDs it can give that all or nothing impression to the pattern of light produced.

Hi Lex-Mike,

I am referring to the lower cut-off - you are right with the HID sharp cut-off, there is an all or nothing at the outer edges. Frankly, far worse than a mark 1 or 2 and very poor in drizzle. I am wondering if a more powerful HID will improve this or just make the visible area brighter?

Thanks,

Marcus.

Hi Lex-Mike,

I am referring to the lower cut-off - you are right with the HID sharp cut-off, there is an all or nothing at the outer edges. Frankly, far worse than a mark 1 or 2 and very poor in drizzle. I am wondering if a more powerful HID will improve this or just make the visible area brighter?

Thanks,

Marcus.

Hi Marcus,

I think you are already on the right track, a more powerful light will not affect the pattern that is controlled by the shaping of the reflector and the various shutters contained within the assembly, it will simply increase the brightness of the lit area. This may even make the unlit areas appear to be darker. I wonder if a sympathetic mechanic would be able to set the headlight aim to the top of its limits while still keeping it within the specification and regulations, after all everything has a tolerance.

Hi,

Thanks Lex-Mike, I have followed the same trail of thought as you.

I did take the car into the dealer a couple of weeks back and asked them to check. The answer was that the lights were within tolerance. Mistakenly, I didn't ask them how they checked or whether a) it was possible to vary the "minimum" level within a tolerance or b ) if they had the know-how (new model and all that) to actually do it.

Does anyone have experience or knowledge of increasing the minimum level of the AFS lights within tolerance to be able to answer the questions above? Thanks.

Marcus.

• 3 months later...

Basically my problem is that the beam does not illuminate as far into the distance on dipped as my GS mk1 or mk2s and you have to drive a lot slower.

I am taking the car in to the dealer next Tuesday and before I try again to have them adjust the maximum dipped height of these self-adjusting lights upwards, can I ask if any other new model GS owners have had the same problem? Is there anyone out there who has also owned a mk2 and can compare? Is there anyone who has had the mk3 adjusted?

Thanks all,

Marcus.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links