Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200 Se/sport Buyers Advise + Info

Hello there,

I've been reading this excellent forum for the past couple of weeks as I'm seling or p/x'ing my extremely rare 410BHP Holden Commodore for an IS200 but simply can't decide on either the SE or Sport. I'm leaning towards the latter but would love the Sat Nav + Aero options with black leather interior in either Platinum Ice or Black paint colours. These seem hard to find, unless I'm looking in the wrong places (Lexus, Auto Trader, Parkers, Exhange + Mart) or being very choosy. Budget is around the 14k mark (assuming I get the £13-£13.5 I want for my car) so from my search so far I'll be looking at an 02 - 53 plate with 10000-50000miles depending on mileage and whether I loose some options. I'd prefer a low mileage car somewhere around the 20k would be good.

I plan to visit my local Lexus Dealership (Reading) this week to ask the following questions & test drive both the SE & Sport to experience the difference, but I thought I'd get some independent advise as well if it's not too much of a bother. Apologies if they've been asked before.

Q1) I believe the SE has Sat Nav as standard in later models but what year did it become standard? It's a real shame it didn't become standard in the Sport.

Q2) On both the SE & Sport were there any other additions to the cars, if so, what year and what option became standard (or not).

Q3) I understand that the service intervals are every 10,000miles or 12months but I'd appreciate a breakdown of the servicing (what is done at each service interval) and how much each service costs. I'll use this information to calculate projected ownership costs of the vehicle. It'll also be useful when buying the car as I'll know what to expect can possibly use the servicing as a bargaining tool if the car I choose is close to a major service for example.

Q4) Do you think that the cost of the IS200 will drop dramatically as more models in the IS250 range become available? i.e. is it best to buy now or wait a couple of months? Are you expecting a flood of IS200's to drop onto the market as current owners flock to the IS250?

Q5) Is there any noticable difference in driving the SE over the Sport w.r.t the LSD? I'm use to a RWD with LSD and I was wondering if people suffered from additional tyre wear on the SE because of the lack of the LSD.

Q6) With stainless steel exhausts and good body corrosion prevention I'm guessing there's little to go wrong with them which is why they came 2nd in the Top Gear Survey. Is this the general consensus or are there some 'known issues' that you could tell me about so I can veryify the car I purchase has had the resolution applied? I've got a copy of the fantasic document entitled "What to look out for..."

TIA for any responses.

Steve

PS: If anyone's interested in my Holden (or knows anyone who is), the car spec/details can be found here : http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/61364.htm

Q1) I believe the SE has Sat Nav as standard in later models but what year did it become standard? It's a real shame it didn't become standard in the Sport.

Q2) On both the SE & Sport were there any other additions to the cars, if so, what year and what option became standard (or not).

Q3) I understand that the service intervals are every 10,000miles or 12months but I'd appreciate a breakdown of the servicing (what is done at each service interval) and how much each service costs. I'll use this information to calculate projected ownership costs of the vehicle. It'll also be useful when buying the car as I'll know what to expect can possibly use the servicing as a bargaining tool if the car I choose is close to a major service for example.

Q4) Do you think that the cost of the IS200 will drop dramatically as more models in the IS250 range become available? i.e. is it best to buy now or wait a couple of months? Are you expecting a flood of IS200's to drop onto the market as current owners flock to the IS250?

Q5) Is there any noticable difference in driving the SE over the Sport w.r.t the LSD? I'm use to a RWD with LSD and I was wondering if people suffered from additional tyre wear on the SE because of the lack of the LSD.

Q6) With stainless steel exhausts and good body corrosion prevention I'm guessing there's little to go wrong with them which is why they came 2nd in the Top Gear Survey. Is this the general consensus or are there some 'known issues' that you could tell me about so I can veryify the car I purchase has had the resolution applied? I've got a copy of the fantasic document entitled "What to look out for..."

Welcome to the club.

In response to your questions:

1) 2003/2004 is when it became standard in the SE's. It's not standard on the Sports.

2) Full leather came in lst year as did a change in alloy wheel size (they remained 17's though). Some may come with full body kits too. There was a revised stereo and changes to the housing of front and rear lights. Other than that, they have remained pretty much the same.

3) Big services are 60k and 100k. Costs vary per dealer.

4) I'm sure the prices will drop - its only natural with a new model being released.

5) Don't think it's that noticable for everyday driving.

6) All round, they are fine. There are faults with alloys wheel corrosion, old stereos failing and very brittle paint at the front which pick up stione chips. There can be judders in 1st and 2nd gear, but all in all, they are fine.

Hope this helps.

Hello there,

I've been reading this excellent forum for the past couple of weeks as I'm seling or p/x'ing my extremely rare 410BHP Holden Commodore for an IS200 but simply can't decide on either the SE or Sport. I'm leaning towards the latter but would love the Sat Nav + Aero options with black leather interior in either Platinum Ice or Black paint colours. These seem hard to find, unless I'm looking in the wrong places (Lexus, Auto Trader, Parkers, Exhange + Mart) or being very choosy. Budget is around the 14k mark (assuming I get the £13-£13.5 I want for my car) so from my search so far I'll be looking at an 02 - 53 plate with 10000-50000miles depending on mileage and whether I loose some options. I'd prefer a low mileage car somewhere around the 20k would be good.

I plan to visit my local Lexus Dealership (Reading) this week to ask the following questions & test drive both the SE & Sport to experience the difference, but I thought I'd get some independent advise as well if it's not too much of a bother. Apologies if they've been asked before.

TIA for any responses.

Steve

PS: If anyone's interested in my Holden (or knows anyone who is), the car spec/details can be found here : http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/61364.htm

If you're not fussed about a manual, then have you considered an IS300 with DVD Navigator. It's got the lot, full leather, tiptronic box (buttons on the steering wheel), LSD, chrome pedals, VSC, auto-dimming mirrors, arm rest etc and a decent bit of ommph!

I've just px'd mine with Lexus Poole and whilst down there they had a red IS300 for about 13k. I guess mine would be a similar amount, but it has done 55k (flawless) miles.

Just a thought ...