Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200 Se V Is200 Sport

theb

This is my first post in this group - so go easy.

I also own one of those other cars that you do not like (The BM ones !!) - thinking very seriosly of swapping it for the IS 200 in the next week.

My question is:-

Do you think the IS200 Sport is worth £1000 more than the SE?

I have looked at the list of differences - darkened rear windows, rear spoiler etc but I am not sure if they are worth the difference. Any thoughts?

Also need to know - does the sport version have the windscreen de-icer? The SE version lists this but the Sport doesn't.

Thanks

B

The Sport has everything the SE has.

If your buying new, its worth considering that the Sport will be worth more when you come to see it, so you will get some of that extra back. The sport is the most desirable model second hand.

The latest sport is lowered slightly so with that and the spoiler it does look more sporty.

I didn't think it was worth the extra when I got mine, especially as they have the same wheels, trim etc.

Good point about the stone chips. I have read a few posts about the high number of stone chips the 200 appears to attract.

I have until Friday to decide between the SE and the sport and which colour. Not to mention the interior colour - too many decisions !!

Good forum - look forward to contributing in the future.

B

Also need to know - does the sport version have the windscreen de-icer? The SE version lists this but the Sport doesn't.

It's actually two elements which heat where the wipers park. It is not a Quickclear (parent owned by Ford i believe). Hardly worth having if you have to scrape the windscreen of ice anyhow.

Not too sure if its worth the extra grand, but my wife liked the spoiler and I prefered the pedals and trims, so that was that. As for colour, we liked the blue as there don't seem to be as many about - not too sure if that's a good or bad thing. Had our car just over a week and its superb. Washed and waxed it already, its looks brilliant. We also paid to have the front windows tinted, costs £180 for both windows and has 5 year warranty, well worth it.

Steve B - My choice of colour is probably down to 2 - Silver or Blue. If I go for the SE rather than the sport the spoiler can be added for about £400. I have already decided that this is a must !!

So I really need to decide if the other options are worth the £600 difference.

Tony - "Limited Slip Diff" - I have to confess to not knowing what this is and what it will do for me - I will go off and do a bit of reading on it- feel free to educate me if you have a nice easy explanation.

re the insurance group - mine is currently group 16 or 17 - 12 or 13 will both be better.

Thanks

B

Tony - "Limited Slip Diff" - I have to confess to not knowing what this is and what it will do for me

I will go off and do a bit of reading on it- feel free to educate me if you have a nice easy explanation.

Hmmm, easy LSD explanation ... let's see ...

Imagine one side of car on ice or similar very slippy surface.

Other side on nice grippy dry tarmac.

Now apply throttle ...

Without LSD, your drive is lost.

The wheel on ice spins but the wheel with grip goes nowhere.

The drive goes out via the path of least resistance.

With LSD, you're in luck.

It makes sure both wheels still get drive ... so you can move.

That's basically it ...

A less obvious benefit given slippy conditions or sufficient power to do it in the dry...

Makes gooning about tailsliding etc more errrrr fun ??

can burn up the tyres more evenly :blink:

Also go for the sport if your not looking to do any modifications to it, you will also have that Slightly sportier look to start with. If you are thinking of tinkering with it anyway go for the SE and put the £1k towards something really worthwhile like a supercharger. I also found that when buying mine it was easier to negotiate discount on the SE than the Sport. The window tinting can be done extremely well for £150 that includes all 5 windows on the SE don't pay more than this you are getting ripped off.

Cheers

Si

I was originally going to work for a company where a car was part of the package and ordered the SE model with the boot spoiler (not the lip one) and chrome exhaust trim.

I then didn't start work for that company as I was offered something better (oops) and relooked for something to get myself. I decided that although it worked out more, I prefered the Sport due to the fact it was lower, I prefered the boot spoiler and I liked the different pedals, door trims etc.

Doesn't seem to be any difference to speak of performance wise, so it is just down to the styling differences and personal taste.

My reason for choosing the SE over the sport was I don't feel a heavy car with only 150bhp needs LSD - I am an enthusiastic driver, but have never missed it.

So the other differences being all cosmetic, and the projected resale after 3 years showing lowest depreciation on the SE (the Sport is worth more after 3 years, but not as much more as it cost) - for me, the SE took it.

It was close though, but more because I always choose 'Sport' and like the rear tints.

I don't like the stock spoiler on the sport though - so SE with nicer spoiler is to me more asthetically pleasing.

You will enjoy whickever you choose though!

Welcome to the enlightenment (we will forgive past BM ownership)

Welcome to the enlightenment (we will forgive past BM ownership)

I have to confess to it being a couple of past ownerships and 1 current one. Not wanting to get on this groups black list already - but...I must admit it has been a very hard decision to let my BM go.

This group certainly has been more than helpful so far - thanks all !!

B

PS - decision day is Friday !!!

IS200_Sport.thumb.jpg

Well as all the techy questions seem to have been adequatley answered, I think some aesthetics are called for. My Wife and I fell in love with the IS200 and when we saw the sport version there was no option than to fork out the extra.

We couldn't wait to get our first Lexus, and the feeling I get when I'm driving it (or looking at it) is just out of this world. In fact it's the only car we've ever WANTED to drive at every opportunity. Buying the sport, I don't really feel obliged to invest in add-ons, it's just perfect as it is.

Enjoy what ever Lexus you get. I'm sure you will.

Ok - it is done.

I have taken note of many of the tips and info given so far and went to the garage to order an IS 200 SE in Siver (sorry - Platinum Ice).

The choice was between Blue and Silver and the silver won.

However........ I got to the showroom (again) and sitting there in the showroom was a Sport version in Granite Sky (Met Grey).

So there you go weeks of planning out the window and I chose a sport in Granite Sky.

The order time is only 1 week and it could be quicker if I am lucky - I thought it would be 5 or 6 weeks.

Thanks again for all the help.

B :yahoo:

That's the way it works. I'm convinced that dealers always display cars that have the most popular interior/exterior colour combination!

I would have gone for the sport if I could have had it as an automatic. I ordered the chrome tail pipe finisher and kick plates as accessories. I also went for the parking sensors!

congrats......and welcome,nice colour granit sky....

so, whats your first mod gonna be?

Not sure yet - give it a few weeks to get used to it and to look around this group a bit for ideas.

Any ideas welcome.

B