Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Checking/inflating Tyres At Home

I dislike inflating my tyres on garage forecourts, so I don't check tyre pressures as often as I should. Also there's the problem of the trouble & strife who has never inflated a tyre in her life (but then, I cannot make pastry), so her tyre pressures are checked/inflated even less often. = A Bad Thing.

So... Have decided to buy a compressor, with appropriate fittings, so I can do this job at home. Probably keep it under the bench at end of garage.

First question is, does anyone know what size built-in tank I should get with it, to give enough capacity to top up all four rubbers on the LS, without waiting for it to "charge up" in mid-use?

Second question, is there a minimum horsepower I should go for? 1.5hp? 2hp? Or more?

Hope someone can help, in case I buy something that's too feeble for the job.

Thanks for link, Jock Super Seven. Interesting.

But can anyone tell me how fast is the Michelin inflator? Will it top up, say 4 psi, in a few seconds? That is, as fast as a forecourt jobbie?

Can't see it being as fast as a forecourt one. But what's the rush may I ask?

But what's the rush may I ask?

I TAKE YOUR POINT. IT'S JUST THAT I DID ONCE BUY A SMALL DIAPHRAGM-TYPE inflator AND WHEN I TRIED TO ADD ABOUT 3 PSI TO ONE MY TYRES, I GREW A BEARD WAITING. HOPEFULLY THE MICHELIN THINGY IS BETTER THAN THIS.

Get a GOOD digital pressure gauge!

Halfords of all places have a nice one, just make sure you get the one that does BAR & PSI about £16 in a nice case too.

So long as you do not have any punctures or leaky valves, you won't need to inflate that often, so a foot pump is probably ideal, and it's a reason not to go to the gym too!

Get a GOOD digital pressure gauge!

Halfords of all places have a nice one, just make sure you get the one that does BAR & PSI about £16 in a nice case too.

So long as you do not have any punctures or leaky valves, you won't need to inflate that often, so a foot pump is probably ideal, and it's a reason not to go to the gym too!

A Track Pump is very easy to operate & takes 4 strokes to add 1psi:used this method for years!

Terry