Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cylinders

Lex-aholic

I was just mentioning to my mate in work about the Lexus having 6 cylinders as I'm having it put in for a service on Saturday. He then asked me the following question, which I ain't got a clue to the answer :

What does the "V" stand for on other cars which are say V6, V8, or V12 etc...?

I was just mentioning to my mate in work about the Lexus having 6 cylinders as I'm having it put in for a service on Saturday. He then asked me the following question, which I ain't got a clue to the answer :

What does the "V" stand for on other cars which are say V6, V8, or V12 etc...?

I think its because the cylinders are arranged in a "V" design (3 on each side, angled towards each other)

Also, the VW W12 is so named because its two V6s stuck together, but side by side, so the arrangement looks like a "W"

Sorry if this is complete rubbish :blush:

It refers to the configuration of the cylinders.

The IS has a straight or inline 6 meaning all cylinders are in a straight line.

A V4/6/8/123 just means the cylinders are side by side so for example a V8 would have 2 stright lines of 4 cylinders at an angle which would look like a V shape when viewed as a cross-section.

There are also w configurations as in the W12 and parallel and flat configurations also.

It's all very exciting stuff isn't it?

:blink:

It totally changes the characteristics of the engine.

A Straight 6 is generally very smooth where a V6 would be generally more torquey.

There's a lot more to it than that but it all comes down to physics at the end of the day as to the characteristics.

Americans use V8's in alot of their cars as they like massive engines but they probably couldn't fit a straight 8 in a modern vehicle due to the sheer length( Straight 8's used to be fitted in them long bonnet Cords/ packards etc), a V8 would half the length while still maintaining a large capacity.

It totally changes the characteristics of the engine.

A Straight 6 is generally very smooth where a V6 would be generally more torquey.

There's a lot more to it than that but it all comes down to physics at the end of the day as to the characteristics.

Americans use V8's in alot of their cars as they like massive engines but they probably couldn't fit a straight 8 in a modern vehicle due to the sheer length( Straight 8's used to be fitted in them long bonnet Cords/ packards etc), a V8 would half the length while still maintaining a large capacity.

Cool. Thanks for the info. I'll just go and pass it on to my mate, and sound really clever ! :D