Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Pros And Cons Of Owning A Is200

cat

hiya, I was wondering if you could help me. I'm seriously thinking about getting an is200 within the next six months. I was just wondering if there are any faults and how people generally rate them (especialy reliability). thanks very much

cathy

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Cathy,

Welcome to LOC :)

If you're looking for reliable, hassle free motoring, you can't go far wrong with the IS200.

It's more sportier than it may appear, and the characteristics of the vehicle allow for the vehicle to mould itslef around you... not the other way round.

The IS200 allows you to drive like you own the car, not like you own the road.

If you give us an idea of what you're looking for in a car (i.e reliability, style, value for money, options...) I'm sure others would be able to give you a more detailed experience on what it's like to own an IS200.

If you decide to bite the bullet and get one, hopefully you'll enjoy your stay with LOC :)

Niraj.

cheers for that. it seems that nobody who's had one has a bad word to say about them, which is good, because as much as I like my car that I have at the moment, I would never advise anyone to buy one!

is it a bmw?

cheers for that. it seems that nobody who's had one has a bad word to say about them, which is good, because as much as I like my car that I have at the moment, I would never advise anyone to buy one!

is it a bmw?

:lol::lol::lol:

think it is top of my list. haven't had this car long. my last car was a megane, but it got written off. it was my 1st car and I was sentimentally attached to it and had to have another, but I've had this one less than a year, so wanted to keep it a year before selling it as it's had lots of owner changes for the age. has anyone had any accidents in theirs? was wondering how well they hold up etc

renault megane... two of my friends own these... supposedly a very trendy car for the young image... both of these friends happen to be in the music industry.

is there something in particular you want from a car? there are some great examples on the 2nd hand market at the moment.

Came 2nd in the BBC Top Gear 2005 Car Survey

well, I remember when I was learning to drive i wanted one then for the looks. but i've taken on my dads advice. he said never to get a renault (or any other french car) he was right there and the lexus seems to have his approval. I'd feel much better in a reliable car also, because I've found that constantly feeling theres something not right get's almost depressing. it was the top gear survey thing that made me think alot more seriously about it though

your father sounds like a wise man, and definately good advice.

with the IS200, not only are you buying a "car" you are buying a piece of history. The IS200, has style and finesse that changed the entire approach all vehicle designers took when creating there own cars. (obviously this is my opinion, but i don't think many would disagree)

well, I remember when I was learning to drive i wanted one then for the looks. but i've taken on my dads advice. he said never to get a renault (or any other french car) he was right there and the lexus seems to have his approval. I'd feel much better in a reliable car also, because I've found that constantly feeling theres something not right get's almost depressing. it was the top gear survey thing that made me think alot more seriously about it though

Good words from your Dad :)

I took the plunge over 3 yrs ago now from a POS to the LEX......................And i still love the car.

Don't buy 1 if its not what you really want, but if it is, i dont think you will regret it.

I wouldn't touch the MGF with a barge pole... the gearbox is sloppy, and we've had nothing but problems with them at my garage, to the stage where we've had to say... take them back to the manufacturer... (which now no longer exists).

I get the impression you are looking for a stylish car... the IS200 does fit that role and the safety in one, is of a high grade. There are front air bags, side air bags, and various other safety features which in its class, made them at the time cutting edge technology (second to Volvo).

Plus, the value from an IS200 is the strength and durability of the car through all and various conditions.

MGs a re a nice looking car...................the other halfs hairdresser has one....HONEST!! (it is quick though.......when she isnt the one driving it)

Have you driven an IS yet?

have you thought about ..........

Toyota MR2 or MX5

i think it's the only car i like which has both the looks and a good reputation. For some reason most of the cars i like just haven't got the good reputation.

MGs a re a nice looking car...................the other halfs hairdresser has one....HONEST!! (it is quick though.......when she isnt the one driving it)

Toyota MR2 or MX5

like the mr2's but not the mx5s. not driven an is yet (i'll be gutted if i do and can't drive it!). I think it's definitely my top choice though. the more I think about it, the more I want one

i think it's the only car i like which has both the looks and a good reputation. For some reason most of the cars i like just haven't got the good reputation.

Toyota MR2 or MX5

like the mr2's but not the mx5s. not driven an is yet (i'll be gutted if i do and can't drive it!). I think it's definitely my top choice though. the more I think about it, the more I want one

Take one out, then you will know.......................for sure.

Acually take a few out, i did. :)

I can also tell you that this is the first car that i have owned that still gets serviced by main dealers. It is not badly priced for services compared to a lot of other well known car makers.

go test drive ...then get back to us.

and ......most important...........HAVE FUN! :)

Hey Cat,

I think u'll find ... that when u r talkin about "looks" ... its a very vague term in the IS world. Look around the LOC and you will find that altho we all drive the same car (in terms of the body) .... everyones car looks different!

And lemme tell u ... some of these folks have real good looking ones too! ... :P especially the Plat-Ice ones .... hehe (hint hint .... look left <-)

the characteristics of the vehicle allow for the vehicle to mould itslef around you... not the other way round.

with the IS200, not only are you buying a "car" you are buying a piece of history. The IS200, has style and finesse that changed the entire approach all vehicle designers took when creating there own cars. (obviously this is my opinion, but i don't think many would disagree)

Niraj you should work in marketing :D

think it is top of my list. haven't had this car long. my last car was a megane, but it got written off. it was my 1st car and I was sentimentally attached to it and had to have another, but I've had this one less than a year, so wanted to keep it a year before selling it as it's had lots of owner changes for the age. has anyone had any accidents in theirs? was wondering how well they hold up etc

I came from a Meg coupe to the Lexus IS200, I had the 2.0l IDE and the change from the Renault to the Lex was a huge step in terms of ride comfort and quality etc... but...

Acceleration was non existant compared to the Renault

Ride had too much roll compared to teh Renault..

But they were the only downsides, which soon faded over time...

I moved on to the IS300 and it is yet another step in teh right direction, esp now it is lowered.

I am sure you will lurve the move from french to jap :) (the quality of the dealerships make the change worth while themselves :) )

Had my car little over a year and still love every opportunity to drive it when possible. Trouble is, ive started falling into the money trap of spending money on it!

My only complaint is the wheels aren't great and prone to corrosion. Other than that Its great! :D

the characteristics of the vehicle allow for the vehicle to mould itslef around you... not the other way round.

Niraj you should work in marketing :D

lol :lol: i guess it did sound a bit like i work for Lexus, lol. :D