Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Pros And Cons Of Owning A Is200

cat

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anywhere in cardiff cat? I just got back on sunday from spending 3 mnths down there lol!

Back to the topic...i have had my is200 since june this is what i think: Great car, reliable, distinctive looking. An alternative to the 'leroy' image of the BMW. :D

Thirsty, not enough power for my liking and expensive servicing through lexus. :o

I personally think the pros outweigh the the negatives. :winky:

I live kind of in between the two bridges. I'm not too botherd about speed at the moment anyway, so that isn't really gonna be an issue, especially as my megane is a 1.6. I'm a bit worried about test driving (don't like driving anything that isn't mine!). I'd rather do it once I've found one, then my dad will have a proper look and everything

I live kind of in between the two bridges. I'm not too botherd about speed at the moment anyway, so that isn't really gonna be an issue, especially as my megane is a 1.6. I'm a bit worried about test driving (don't like driving anything that isn't mine!). I'd rather do it once I've found one, then my dad will have a proper look and everything

You dont live near MAGOR do you ?

Cat, make a list of everything you need in a car and what cars you would consider and post it on the club site these guys are brilliant for info in any area :D

I used to own a french car, a 206 GTI, customer service was pants , the car had to many faults:tsktsk:

I've got a Black IS200 SE in Auto, I've always liked the IS. Two of my brothers have BMWs and I was looking at a A4 (to common and loses to much dough), MERC CLK (I still like the look of it, but customer service not good) so I had to move in a better direction.

They are smooth and filled with gadgets, but it does drink fuel :blink:

I'd say get an IS300 I wish I had , cos it's got more power and gadgets!

I don't really know what I need to be honest. I'm not going to be able to go for the is300 though, because I'm 21 and have only been driving 2 and a half years. Im just going to start my research, so I know everything I want on it, that way i'll be happier when I get it

Cat,

Just my opinion, but do not buy an IS200 if fuel economy is a priority or if you want performance lower down the rev range. Some people might even go as far to describe the IS200 auto as "sluggish". IS300 seems to overcome these negatives.

The IS handles sweetly, engine and gearbox are smooth, brakes are nice and strong, it's got a funky interior, and maintainance is less expensive than it's rivals. Stunning looks in right colour/wheel combos.

Looks different from the crowd too. If you do end up buying one, you are likely to be very happ, judging from opinions on this site!

The IS200 is simply the best all-rounder I have ever driven, and easily the best car I have ever owned, before it, my cars last 6 to 18 months before i got bored (infact only one lasted past 12 months), yet the IS200 I have had 4 years, and it still puts a smile on my face.

You can spend 6 hours cruising on the Motorways in perfect comfort, with a cossetting, relaxing ride and ease. Then turn off onto a twisty A-road, and it becomes a taut, edgey saloon. It has precise steering, a sharp turn-in, and the rear wheel drive chassis, while perhaps not quite up to the level of the 3 Series, it still delivers and enjoyable experience.

The 2 litre straight six is a lovely smooth engine, but it does tend to suffer at low revs, not pulling well. However, bury the accelerator in the carpet, and as you pass 4,500 the engine changes into a screamer, change at 6,000 revs, and the six speed gearbox is perfectly ratio'd to keep the engine in the power band through the gears. You have to be careful though, the cabin is well insulated, and you can very quickly find your speed on the wrong side of the legal limits, but thankfully, one of the best features of the IS200 are its brakes. It pulls up sharply, and easily under control, the ABS never cutting in too soon or often to intrude, but there if you need it.

The only downsides to the IS, are its practicality, the rear passenger space isnt quite as good as that of the A4 or C class, and the boot suffers from intruding wheel arches and boot hinges, creating less space than appears, with only a ski-hatch for expansion.

Economy is a mixed bag, on motorways and A roads, you wil get a reasonable return for a straight six, however, the moment you hit traffic or enter a town centre, expect the figure to drop, signifcantly.

Sure, there are lots of faster saloons, bigger saloons, comfier saloons, but I've looked at buying everything from a Evo VIII to a Supra (and a lot in between) but for the jeckell and hyde car i need, its a motorway crusier, a A-road stormer and something just that little bit diferent, you cant go far wrong with the IS200.

Nice little car. thirsty as an LS400 though. Without the power or refinement. Got lots of toys in it though for a car in that bracket. As for looking distinctive, ask yourself if you are happy sharing rear lights with just about every car that has ever been to a sunday night cruise!

Sorry, couldn't resist. Everyone calls them lexus lights when they are only IS200 and Altezza lights. All the bigger lexus cars have conventional lights and show no sign of following the IS in the 2007 line up... message there, methinks.

Nice little car. thirsty as an LS400 though. Without the power or refinement. Got lots of toys in it though for a car in that bracket. As for looking distinctive, ask yourself if you are happy sharing rear lights with just about every car that has ever been to a sunday night cruise!

Sorry, couldn't resist. Everyone calls them lexus lights when they are only IS200 and Altezza lights. All the bigger lexus cars have conventional lights and show no sign of following the IS in the 2007 line up... message there, methinks.

coming from the bloke who doesnt even own a lexus yet :whistling::lol: :P

"sharing rear lights with just about every car that has ever been to a sunday night cruise"

They say "Imitation is the Highest form of flattery" and we drive cars that the rest copied ..... :winky:

BMW compact made a right mess of it though.... :sick:

Especially looking forward to the light thing. Seen a sticker somewhere to go in the back window saying "fitted with lexus lights as standard" or something like that. will definitely be getting one of them!

I've heard alot of negative points about fuel economy. I do a fair amount of driving (average 35 miles a day) is it really going to be that noticeable. although, right now I do think my mind is pretty much made up to get one, and if I do end up not liking it for whatever reason then I can always sell it

Especially looking forward to the light thing. Seen a sticker somewhere to go in the back window saying "fitted with lexus lights as standard" or something like that. will definitely be getting one of them!

I've heard alot of negative points about fuel economy. I do a fair amount of driving (average 35 miles a day) is it really going to be that noticeable. although, right now I do think my mind is pretty much made up to get one, and if I do end up not liking it for whatever reason then I can always sell it

it depends..

how are those 35 miles spent? what sort of speed? cruising? traffic?

I get good mileage in everything but city centre stop/start traffic..

50% m'way and 50% a roads and built up areas. try my best to avoid traffic, so think i'm ok there!

You will be looking at around 28 to the gallon...............so a tenna a day.

But you will enjoy the miles :)

Just my 2p worth. I have now owned my IS200 for just over a month and have done 1600 miles since pick up :o My previous cars have been all of the Type R range going from the Honda Civic R, Accord R and Integra DC5 , all awesome but i will never return to that brand (apart from an NSX :blink: ) The IS200 is everything that i could have wanted in a car. Very comfortable, fantastic handling, awesome brakes, as many gadgets as you can throw a stick at, a stereo that can make alot of concert halls envious and an engine so quiet, as someone has said before its very easy to do speeds that can loose a licence :blush:

Just out of interest i ran the car to the orange light, filled up with £10 worth of fuel and drove it to the light again. i got 70 miles which was A road driving and then stop start in rush hour traffic through Reading. I was very impressed. With the Auto box acceleration isnt huge but after the 4k range it certainly pulls and to keep it there just knock the box so that it can only select two gears, this with the handling makes it a great point to point car. As you probably can tell im certainly not disappointed with my purchase. In fact once I have finished with this one in a couple of years time the IS250 looks very very promising :hehe:

Hi Cat.. Go on .. You Know You Want Too..

Had lots of cars in the past and always wanted an IS200 for many different reasons, Now that I have one my only regret is that I didnt get one sooner.. Living just down the road from you, We are lucky to have all the roads that this beauty is made for, Picture this, .. Caldicot - Parkend - A48 - Chepstow - Tintern - Wye Valley - Monmouth down a449 to Abergavenny turn off - Raglan to Usk - pontire to Caerleon - Newport M4 quick burst off at 24 A48 to Park End and Home.. PURE BLISS..

Enough Said.. And Welcome to LOC.

JD..