Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Points For Altered Number Plates

moriwaki

Big Brother looms again and says NAUGHTY NAUGHTY to altered number plates !...but its always been against the law ?...yes, but you only got a £30 fine [if anything] at most...but shortly it will be points too...for ANY plate not spaced exactly as the law says ...no different style letters...nothing !...It seems it is for the new Automatic Number plate Recognition cameras that will be Nationwide soon....checks all you car details in seconds and Automatically pops you your nice shiny fine [plus points ]in the post...the cameras can't read the altered plates...hence the points...Anyone with an illegal plate will.....AND I QUOTE : " Be Apprehended by a Dedicated ANPR Chase Team " ! ! ! !....consisting of...and I quote again : " an ANPR enabled van, two squad cars , and SIX police bikes " :shutit: ....says the ACPO [ Association of Chief Police Officers ] Coordinator John Dean...so careful you guys with altered spacing etc.[ also known as crime of the Century ]......"aaaah big brother leave me alone !...i'm not harming anyone !" :yawn:

I think it's a great idea ............. I will be more than happy to give people points for having patheticly stupid number plates :D

I agree absolutely with the principle. But given the limitations on police manpower I would put a number plate offence close to the bottom of my list of priorities. This Government is determined to interfere in everything we do and have sucessfully politicised the police to that aim. It's not the fault of the average policeman but too many Chief Constables are turning their officers into quasi social workers. I do have a very close relative who has been a policeman for over twenty years and if I didn't know him better I would not believe some of the things he tells me. You truly couldn't make it up.

As the UK motorist is an easy target, i read with great happiness the story in recent newspapers about foreign cars avoiding any fines for speeding etc as " there are no plans to access foreign vehicle owner databases" and no system of" on the spo"t fines for speeding..... what a shame the UK is not like the rest of Europe!

They wont become compulsary, but they will start to be fitted to new cars, so they can filter through.

foreign plates have always been a problem as far as enforcement is concerned as all the plod can do is detain untill the fine is paid, it is more hassle than it is worth, so they dont bother.

BTW, the UK is the hardest part of europe to use ANPR in because we have the lax'est of all regulations (and enforcement of) VRN's. If you take a European / US ANPR engine and try and use it in the UK without "training the system" it falls flat on it's face. But use them accross Europe, and they perform out of the box!..

So in reality, all they are doing is bringing us more in line with Europe....

The more tax dodgers, insurance fiddlers etc that are off the road is in the best interests of everyone in my view :)

The more tax dodgers, insurance fiddlers etc that are off the road is in the best interests of everyone in my view :)

Trouble is that don’t work if I have a car that’s a ringer or I’ve lifted it I can nick a set of plates (a lot have been taken from our firms cars) or have a set made most shops don’t bother with the v5 and I’m safe the apnr just looks at the plate not the car so long as the car the plates taken\copied from is legal your pretty safe :duh:

Good news.

My car is taxed MOTed and fully insured. I do have a private plate(Which DVLA sold me)

I get stopped and I get a fine and points.

The CHAV down the road with NO tax NO insurance NO MOT and probably NO licence drives past the Old Bill 'cos his plate is okay!

B)-->

QUOTE(T7RY B @ Jan 19 2006, 01:22 AM)

The CHAV down the road with NO tax NO insurance NO MOT and probably NO licence drives past the Old Bill 'cos his plate is okay!

He wouldn't drive past me mate ........... :shifty: ;)

ive moved one letter across, but kept the legal font...ive had plice, in front of me, behind and to the side and even been pulled for spirited driving,,,,,none have said anything about the plate.. im of the opinion that, round my area at least, if your car is in good nick, ie crappy corsa with wings on top, in front, 4 million 5" zuast out the back, with both illegal letter spacing on several letters plus clever use of the screws to misreprisent an actual letter and with one of them stupid script like font that makes the letters look like spaghetti on its side,,,,then the old bill are ok...

I thought there was a law coming out (quite a while ago) where you had to have the garage details ie, name and contact number of where the car was originally sold on. This was quite a while back now that I read it somewhere, but haven't heard any more. :blink:

Maybe you can shed some light on this Scarface ?

As i said at the start...ANY deviation from the exact "spacing" or letter style will soon get you points...their will be no more blind eye if you are NOT a chav !...you will be swooped upon like public enemy No 1...To me it just moves us close to George Orwell's prediction of Big Brother "watching" "tracking" your every move...Please don't think it will stop at ANPR...you will soon be "monitored" for every trip...your average speed will be calculated and your fine "automatically" posted to you...you will be oblivious of the "offence" until you get your letter...this is just the beginning of the big plan...And don't get me wrong...I would love to see better driving on our roads...and the chavs, car thieves , criminals etc all suddenly being "caught" for their crimes...this will not happen...We the law abiding citizen will have to suffer more and more laws like this to "control" us...Speed ramps are another example...we must ALL trundle and bump over these things every day because of a few idiots speeding around...Why should we all have to suffer these things ?...why can't the idiots just be dealt with properly so that THEY are the ones that suffer for "their" bad driving ? and not us ?...Too hard for the Police to do this ?...I see every day a local Chip shop on a very busy city street where I live...there is double yellows and it is on a corner junction...No one wants to park safely around 15 yards away from the shop...so they all just park on the yellows or on the pavement and yellows!....I have seen many near misses and one collision there...there is around a dozen cars blocking the view out or blocking the pvement or road at any one time...one night I saw a Police Volvo T5 with two officers pull up next to the Chip shop...and I thought he was going to warn or ticket all these cars...But NO NO...he just bumped half on the pavement on double yellows 4 feet fron a junction and went in the bloody Chip shop to get his Haddock !...But hey guys...you go 3 miles an hour over some idiotic 40 mph limit on an open A road on a quiet sunday and "look out"...I used to have a lot of respect for the Traffic Police when I was younger....not now...Sorry for the rant ....but this and FRONT FOG LIGHTS ON FOR NO REASON !....really gets me ! Sorry guys. :shutit:... Do it right and maybe Scarface can get rid of his TRACKER EH ?

The van will also detect no tax, insurance, MOT as well as numer plate offences. I've seen one in action in my town on a large roundabout on a Saturday morning and there were bikes stopped cars everywhere. The van points to the front so doesn't check motorbikes I believe. Also old american cars are allowed to have big square plates and I don't believe it tracks them

I got pulled for my plate before Xmas, got a £30 fine.

Had my MOT day before last... Stuck a normal plate on top of my smaller modded ones... Leaving MOT Station i pulled off the surf board sized plates... even the MOT tester said they looked better.

Sod the system, i like my plate how it is, if there gonna pull me for it then so be it!

Do it right and maybe Scarface can get rid of his TRACKER EH ?

With ANPR, he will not need it any more ;-)

Have a look at this, if you've got time:

_http://www.acpo.police.uk/asp/policies/Data/anpr_strat_2005-08_march05_12x04x05.doc

(copy & paste link)

I was going to pick out the good bits, but there are too many.

And people, remember, ‘Think crime, think car, think ANPR’

:tsktsk:

Do it right and maybe Scarface can get rid of his TRACKER EH ?

With ANPR, he will not need it any more ;-)

Have a look at this, if you've got time:

_http://www.acpo.police.uk/asp/policies/Data/anpr_strat_2005-08_march05_12x04x05.doc

(copy & paste link)

I was going to pick out the good bits, but there are too many.

And people, remember, ‘Think crime, think car, think ANPR’

I was going to read it all but with Richard Brunstrom being the main architect of this paper I didn't bother. Never has there been a more sadly mistaken man as this in a position of power and influence. He typifies almost everything that is wrong with todays police force. The utopian theme of the paper, "denying criminals the use of the roads" and the unchallenged benefits he claims will ensue, is laughable. Another case of the overwhelming honest majority of the public being subjected to a grossly obscene level of scrutiny allegedly in the name of catching criminals. I bet that a committee of LOC members could sort out the tax, insurance and MOT dodgers without too much trouble. Tax? Go French I say, abolish it altogether and adjust fuel duty, the more you drive, the more you pay. Insurance? The French motorict has to display it on his windscreen much as we do with road tax. MOT? why not ensure that it has to last and be in tandem with, the insurance? In that way displaying valid insurance automatically means a valid MOT which would be renewable along with insurance annually. Criminals? well I am somewhere to the right of Hitler here I'm afraid. There is just no real deterrent is there? Anybody got any suggestions as to what to do with them? :unsure::unsure: :tsktsk: