Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What's The Purpose Of Those Flaps ?

Lex-aholic

As the title suggests - what's the purpose of those hard plastic/rubber type flap things which are infront of the front wheels ?

The reason I ask is you don't see them on many other cars, and last night trying to park down the gym was a real pain in the butt, so I had to drive INTO a space (to save the exhaust) which in turn scrapes the flaps as they are fairly low down compared to the kerb.

And if they caught on the kerb would there be any chance it could pull the front bumper off ? (Maybe this is an over-reaction on my behalf, but I don't wanna take any chances).

I think they're aerodynamic in purpose, to send air around the wheels, but I don't really know

However, don't think they could rip off the bumper, because I don't think they're attached to the bumper. The worst that could prob happen is that you could break the plastic flap. However, I've scraped those several times, and they seem to be pretty tough :winky:

I'm probably way off here, but those flaps could be designed to help disburse water from the tyres???. Yeah I've scraped them flaps a few times too- they seem pretty tough

Couldn't see any point in them myself...so i just took them off!! :D They got in the way too much!

I was considering the same - get a saw to them !!!!! :lol::lol:

or you could just undo the 2 or 3 10mm bolts holding them on ;)

Couldn't see any point in them myself...so i just took them off!! :D They got in the way too much!

I was considering the same - get a saw to them !!!!! :lol::lol:

or you could just undo the 2 or 3 10mm bolts holding them on ;)

Shows how often I've got under the car :D :winky:

there aerodynamic aids for stability at high speed, its fine to scrape them, there made of flexible rubber

stability at high speed in an is200 its not going that fast is it 140 down a hill with the wind behind it lolol didnt know that such small things could make so much difference

there aerodynamic aids for stability at high speed, its fine to scrape them, there made of flexible rubber

stability at high speed in an is200 its not going that fast is it 140 down a hill with the wind behind it lolol didnt know that such small things could make so much difference

you would be supprised young man.

dont pretend to understand the crazy world of aerodynamics