Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Phone Kits For New Is

Haf

I'm about to order a 220D and asked the dealer for a list of phones that have cradles available i.e the so called 'Bluetooth complementary kit'. It s aprettu short list so i thought I'd let you see it.

Motorola V500, V525, V600

Nokia 6310, 6310i, 6600, 6230, 6810,

Siemens S55

Sony Ericsson T68, T68i, T610

costs £450

I'm not very impressed as I was thinking of getting a new phone to go with the car but none of the above are particularly new. May end up keeping my Nokie 6310 or settling for just Bluetooth with charger. Although I have heard that the cradle boosts the signal quite a bit and I do make a lot of calls while travelling.

I'm about to order a 220D and asked the dealer for a list of phones that have cradles available i.e the so called 'bluetooth complementary kit'. It s aprettu short list so i thought I'd let you see it.

Siemens S55

costs £450

I'm not very impressed as I was thinking of getting a new phone to go with the car but none of the above are particularly new. May end up keeping my Nokie 6310 or settling for just bluetooth with charger. Although I have heard that the cradle boosts the signal quite a bit and I do make a lot of calls while travelling.

I was quoted £495 for the same kit...but went MM instead. I think a Bluetooth headset is the best way to go...cheapest...not invasive surgery into the Car's electronics...

I think a bluetooth headset is the best way to go...cheapest...not invasive surgery into the Car's electronics...

I switched from a Bluetooth headset for a sun-visor mounted Blutooth hands-free kit about 2 years ago and have been delighted. No installation required.

This is the most popular one in Australia http://www.blueant.com.au/supertooth2.htm.

I have also ordered MM with my IS250, so the Bluetooth will go in my wife's car :lol:

I'm about to order a 220D and asked the dealer for a list of phones that have cradles available i.e the so called 'bluetooth complementary kit'. It s aprettu short list so i thought I'd let you see it.

Siemens S55

costs £450

I'm not very impressed as I was thinking of getting a new phone to go with the car but none of the above are particularly new. May end up keeping my Nokie 6310 or settling for just bluetooth with charger. Although I have heard that the cradle boosts the signal quite a bit and I do make a lot of calls while travelling.

I was quoted £495 for the same kit...but went MM instead. I think a Bluetooth headset is the best way to go...cheapest...not invasive surgery into the Car's electronics...

The MM pack has Bluetooth incorporated, so I just leave my phone on my belt. System connects when I get in the car and I have programmed voice activatation for most of my regular numbers (the rest can be programmed in for touch screen activation. The microphone and speakers built into the car take care of the rest. What's all this talk about cradles and headsets! :huh:

The MM pack has bluetooth incorporated, so I just leave my phone on my belt. System connects when I get in the car and I have programmed voice activatation for most of my regular numbers (the rest can be programmed in for touch screen activation. The microphone and speakers built into the car take care of the rest. What's all this talk about cradles and headsets! :huh:

I expect it is by and for the majority of people who choose not to or cannot afford to take the MM option! :huh:

The MM pack has bluetooth incorporated, so I just leave my phone on my belt. System connects when I get in the car and I have programmed voice activatation for most of my regular numbers (the rest can be programmed in for touch screen activation. The microphone and speakers built into the car take care of the rest. What's all this talk about cradles and headsets! :huh:

I expect it is by and for the majority of people who choose not to or cannot afford to take the MM option! :huh:

The Specifications available are very varied. I've just returned from (another) test drive in the IS350 here in the States and also picked up a spec and price list. There's an 'NV' option here that has Nav system with AM/FM CD Changer & 13 speakers. Includes Voice activation, Bluetooth and reversing camera. The price of this option is $2,550 compared with the 'VN' option with the Mark Levinson system at $3,990.

The thing is these are Factory options but not one that is available in the UK (don't know about Oz)!!

I'm a little pixxed off with the limited options we have been offered in the UK. The States also have 18" rims as standard on the 250, a choice of G-Spider alloys or ISP alloys. Only the 250 AWD comes with 17" and they are the same wheel on all four corners.

The other annoying thing is that the Sport Package offered here has a ventilated leather seat option :sad:

I think there are 2 reasons for having a cradle even if you have bluetooth/MM option

1. The phone Battery is charged while plugged in. Personally I have never charged my phone in 3 years as the cradle in my merc always means it stays fully charged. On many phones the use of bluettoth drains the Battery quite quickly and I really don't want to have to worry about my phone Battery running out.

2. The signal quality with the cradle is much better than without as an external arial boosts the signal. This is true in my merc so I'm assuming the same for the IS .

£450 sounds a lot but I paid £650 for same kit in the merc and as mine is a company car, It won't cost me anything personally. I ofetn have to participate in long conference calls while travelling so need the best possible phone setup and the cradle seems to be it.

The Specifications available are very varied. I've just returned from (another) test drive in the IS350 here in the States and also picked up a spec and price list. There's an 'NV' option here that has Nav system with AM/FM CD Changer & 13 speakers. Includes Voice activation, Bluetooth and reversing camera. The price of this option is $2,550 compared with the 'VN' option with the Mark Levinson system at $3,990.

The thing is these are Factory options but not one that is available in the UK (don't know about Oz)!!

I'm a little pixxed off with the limited options we have been offered in the UK. The States also have 18" rims as standard on the 250, a choice of G-Spider alloys or ISP alloys. Only the 250 AWD comes with 17" and they are the same wheel on all four corners.

The other annoying thing is that the Sport Package offered here has a ventilated leather seat option :sad:

well, US will sell 50,000 IS's this year, and whole Europe will sell 15,000, which is why they get them. Actually IS250's come with 17" standard, but usual paying option on cars at dealers is 18". Also, 18" wheel choices are dealer accressories, not factory options, meaning you pay $2,000 for the set. It is not much better over there. On the other hand, easy inventory system means you can get your car relaitvly fast, and dont have to wait for ages (at least until initial demand wears off)

well, US will sell 50,000 IS's this year, and whole Europe will sell 15,000, which is why they get them. Actually IS250's come with 17" standard, but usual paying option on cars at dealers is 18". Also, 18" wheel choices are dealer accressories, not factory options, meaning you pay $2,000 for the set. It is not much better over there. On the other hand, easy inventory system means you can get your car relaitvly fast, and dont have to wait for ages (at least until initial demand wears off)

Sorry, what I meant to say was the 18" are a factory option in the USA, but a dealer option in the UK. The quote I got from Westside Lexus in Houston was for the 'FT' FACTORY OPTIONAL PACKAGE..18" Alloy Wheels with summer tires at a cost of +$720 (set of 4 G-Spider). The other factory optional 18" (ISP Mode) are I know more expensive, but certainly not $2000.

personally i would go for a fitted Bluetooth car kit, but not the factory supplied as they are very over priced :o . u can get the parrot c3100 car kit fully fitted for under £150. this is a good quality car kit which im sure many members have installed (ANEES). with the money uve saved u can buy a personal Bluetooth headset (HS850 recommended), which can be used in car when with others or whenever hands busy :winky:

or u could always spend a bit more and get a slightly better car kit installed.

Advantages of Bluetooth car kit are that anyone using ur car can utilise the car kit, so it wont be dependant on the type of fone for the cradle.

just some thoughts :D

Guys,

TonyDownunder's recomendation is a good one. A mate has one of these which he bought from Expansys and it has DSP/Noise cancellation and rechargeable Battery (lasts ages):

http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=121611

You'll find so many on the market, but some are really not very good. Many do not offer noise cancellation, for example, so the called/calling party gets all the background road and other noises.

If I was not getting the MM, I would have gone for one of these or a Jabra BT250 which is also a good value for money, no nonsense headset.

The modern cars nowadays have CAN BUS and other electronic BUS systems which "sense" every electrical component. You can bypass these things obviously, and whatever you do to the car's electronics can have a detrimental effect on the ECU and the like. I'm no expert in this area but I hate the idea of taking the car in for a rattle (!!!!dare I mention the R word!!!!) and the dealer being adament that someones bu**ered up the dash!

They say the modern car has 20 imes as much electrogimmeckry as the Appollo 13 space mission... :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Motorola Razr in my IS250 Sports Luxury and it stays in my top pocket or in the armest compartment most of the time. The Bluetooth works a treat with the speakers and in-built mic - literally everyone I speak to asks how I can handle the Razr and drive at the same time, not a single person has picked that I'm on hands free.

Getting your phonebook from your phone is a bit of an effort though. You literally have to add them in one-by-one. The voice dialling is a treat though, so it all works out in the end.

I am going to review my charging system for the phone because to date I've never bothered to do it in the car, but my Battery ran flat while on the way home last week and I then had to revert to looking like a complete loser talking into my Blackberry in an effort to finish the call.

Guys - mentioned on another thread, but if anyone wants the Lexus PDF file listing what is compatible and what is not (Bluetooth) please PM with your email address and I will send it to you...

Jamboo is spot -on not wanting a Rattle-induced Bluetooth set-up:has anyone tried the Visor-based set in an IS250 to ensure it works with the huge array of on-board electronics?I had a Nokia Bluetooth kit fitted to my IS300 but refused transfer when I heard about the dreaded rattles!

Tel :driving:

• 1 month later...
Guys - a mate has just bought this:

Link

He says it's the doodoo's...and at that price it ain't bad!!

I've got one of these and because the Lexus is so quiet it works pretty well. I leave it clipped to the visor all the time and just press the button once when I get in to link it to the phone in my pocket. The Battery lasts over a week before it needs recharging. It is cetainly the best 'cheap' option to a fully installed kit I have come across.

Haf.

There has been a lot of information feedback here for you to sort through. Personally, one of the reasons I went for the Sat-Nav/Bluetooth option pack was having the Bluetooth phone kit "Integrated" into to car's system.

The option pack does not just give you the Bluetooth system, but the Sat-Nav, ML sound system, DVD (while stopped unless you want to chance your hand at some wiring changes), the reversing camera, and all the controls for air, and radio on a touch screen.

The Bluetooth phone system, I believe is fantastic. You have your phone integrated into the car, so can get to speed dial numbers - 18 of them while you are driving, and the rest when you have stopped (there have been a "soft fix" posted in the forums to let you get to the other dial features while driving, and then there's the cable changes if your game). It also has the voice dial for those that you have setup. Being integrated, it cuts out the stereo system when you make or receive a call. All in all, a great integrated system.

So, the money you would be spending is not just for the phone Bluetooth system, but the whole package.

I have a Motorola E398 and works well on the Bluetooth. Only drawback was that I had to send my phonebook entries one at a time to the car. This was a phone feature and not something on the car's system. Some of the Sony-Ericson can send the whole phonebook, and there are some other brands and PDA phones that can as well.

For those who have got the Bluetooth system in their IS250 and want to send their whole phonebooks and don't have a phone to do that, get hold of someone's phone that can and put your Sim card in their phone to send the data through. Have to have your phonebook on your Sim card first.

Mobile phone actually get better reception while on chargers, so if you have your Bluetooth phone in your car and it is using a lot of Battery, connect it to the power outlet point in the console. Not that I have tried it yet, but as my E398 also plays MP3s and has a headphone connection, I could probably play the MP3s on it through the car's system all at the same time.

Sorry about ramblings. :D