Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is This Illegal ?

Dave-Ellen

Friend of mine responded to an advert for a job offering £45 k per annum.

Attended interview (during which existing salary was discussed)

Went well

Called back & offered job

Yipeeeeeeeeeee

BUT.........was told didnt quite meet expectations so salary would not be £45 k but £35 k...........increase of 3k but not the 13k he was looking for :duh:

He was flattered by being offered the job...........but luckily had a decent head on his shoulders and walked away as the employer was obviously not to be trusted.......

Can someone do this ? (offer a job at £x then change it to £-y)

the MOD have been doing it for years just look at paycut 2000, i was told the wage i would be on then 3 months later it changed, a techie with loads of liability now get payed the same as a glorified gate gaurd/dog walker (raf polis) go figure!!!!!

Just because they advertise at that does not mean they have to pay it. Job adverts will normally say circa, or depending on experience. If they advertise £45k and just ask one years experience and your mate has the one years experience then it's a bit unethical.

Called back & offered job

Yipeeeeeeeeeee

BUT.........was told didnt quite meet expectations so salary would not be £45 k but £35 k...........

From my 'tiny' bit of experience this is made crystal clear at the interview!!! and jobs are usually advertised as 'upto £xx k' or '£xx k - £ yy k'

My company (can't mention any names but we have a large fleet of big green trucks...) have recently advertised a job for 25-28k when we had no intention of paying any more than £20k.

'WHY!'..... that's soooooo wrong!.. people looking for work desperately pursue the overall income.. advertising a deliberate deception is morally wrong..

My company (can't mention any names but we have a large fleet of big green trucks...) have recently advertised a job for 25-28k when we had no intention of paying any more than £20k.

'WHY!'..... that's soooooo wrong!.. people looking for work desperately pursue the overall income.. advertising a deliberate deception is morally wrong..

Looks like its common place......or at least not unusual :duh:

As part of my investigation into any company where I would consider employment, I try to perform a check of the company's financial situation and their business/operating model as part of a risk assessment.

In the not too distant past I had a rather curious incident whereby I was offered a rather senior position at a company in Gloucester. After pulling as much company information I could from companies house, I was still missing the 04/05 accounts which were listed by companies house as being "overdue". I asked said company for these accounts, to which they responded that they were not public information and I could not have them. Two days later, despite the missing information and the risk assessment being incomplete, I indicated my acceptance of their offer at their stated salary level of £75k. I requested a draft of the contract for review.

12 hours later I received an email from said company saying that they were "withdrawing the offer" with the following reason:

"..... is a very dynamic company and our senior management team do everything necessary to get the job done, and are not concerned about contractual conditions of employment. In light of this, we have decided to withdraw the offer of employment"

As a result of their notice, I replied thanking them for their "enlightening" email, and that in view of their response to my request for reasonable information, they were in fact not the kind of organisation that I would want to be associated with anyway.

Leland

It seems to be the norm with agencies these days :yawn: , be surprised if half the jobs they advertise don't even exist

Phone up pretty much any position out of that crap Job Oppertunities paper and none of them seem to offer the same money as advertised :angry:

I agree, it sucks. Unfortunately, I'm not responsible for recruitment. We seem to look for people for who we believe are more likely to accept less money than they are worth, for example, those who are being made redundant. For this reason, nobody seems to stick around very long.

The thing that annoys me are headhunters who don't read the profile or CV in the first place.

I receive on average 8 calls per week from headhunters trying to recruit for positions which I am clearly not interested in, for example:

Contract work: My profiles all state that I am only after permanent opportunities.

Network Engineer/Consultant: My CV and profiles state my board-level managerial experience and qualifications (yes, they also state my technical accreditations WAAAAAAAAAAAAY down at the very end of the CV though) -- Why would I want to be a "gopher" when I've served on the board of two companies already?

Salary offered in the region of £30k: With even my technical qualifications alone, this commands in the region of £50k -- you'd be hard pressed to someone with CCIE accreditation willing to accept £30k. Suffice it to say that the job offer mentioned above in Gloucester would have represented a SMALL DECREASE in salary -- this was, however, offset by some of the other benefits and remuneration in kind.

Programming: I get this one about once every two weeks or so -- they're looking for C++ or C# programmers. I am not a programmer, nor do I have any programming skills mentioned in my CV. (I do know C# and Perl, but use them for my own purposes, not professionally).

On the VERY ODD occasion, I'll get a call about an interesting position (such as the one in Gloucester), but in my experience these usually turn out to be pretty sh1t3 companies.

Even had one headhunter last week call me up looking for a Hotel Manager. :duh:

Leland

The thing that annoys me are headhunters who don't read the profile or CV in the first place.

I receive on average 8 calls per week from headhunters trying to recruit for positions which I am clearly not interested in...

You're not wrong there!

I get 5 or 6 calls a month offering me HGV driving jobs.

I have never expressed an interest in taking a truck drivers job. I have no past history of truck driving for a living, I am a software developer and always have been. My CV reflects this, but because I have stated the fact that I have an HGV license on my CV, I seem to get picked up by the keyword searches that they do.

Oh well, at least I know that I shouldn't have any trouble finding work if I fall on hard times!