Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Flat Battery

wildrnes

has anyone else had a problem with a flat Battery ?

i was sorting out my buzzing fan today (see earlier post) turned out to be a leaf

i accidently left the lights on (full beam)

heated seats on (oh plop)

fogs on (well it was inside)

the job took 10 mins

the car wouldnt start

do you think the Battery should be able to handle that load ?

is it time for a new one

:sad:

has anyone else had a problem with a flat battery ?

i was sorting out my buzzing fan today (see earlier post) turned out to be a leaf

i accidently left the lights on (full beam)

heated seats on (oh plop)

fogs on (well it was inside)

the job took 10 mins

the car wouldnt start

do you think the battery should be able to handle that load ?

is it time for a new one

:sad:

I'm surprised it lasted that long! Why didn't you put the heated rear window on too for good measure?

Lead acid batteries don't like going completely flat, you get warping of the plates if you draw too much current too. You might be able to nurse it back to health but it'll never be 100% again.

if it never read above 10 or 11 V then there was something wrong - a healthy Battery should have read +- 12V and when the engine is running u should have about +- 13.5.

Have a look at the colour indicator window on the top of the Battery - it should be a vivid blue .

I am a bit confused about one thing - u said the lights were on full beam - on mine if u stop the engine the lights go to sidelights - did u put the key back to the "run" position?? ( sorry forgot the proper term)

YES FUNNY OLE THING THAT, IVE HAD THE SAME PROBLEM, IF YOU ASK ME THE Battery AINT UP TO THE JOB, HAD THE R.A.C. OUT AND THE GUY SAID THE Battery FITTED IS NOT THE ONE THEY RECOMMEND, CANT REMEMBER WHICH ONE HE SAID WAS, BUT ANY R.A.C. MAN WILL HELP YOU BY CHECKING HIS COMPUTER, JUST KEEP CALLING THEM OUT ITS FREE, I DO. G7UHF.

HAD THE R.A.C. OUT AND THE GUY SAID THE BATTERY FITTED IS NOT THE ONE THEY RECOMMEND

Hi G7UHF - welcome to the club

are you saying that the RAC man said that Lexus have fitted a wrong Battery to all IS's?

or have you changed your Battery, and the RAC thought you made a bad choice?

PS

little friendly request?

your keyboard will have a Caps Lock button.

It may be called Shift Lock.

please make sure it is set to 'off' before posting?

:)

• 4 weeks later...

Hello.

Sorry about the capitals thing, ok hope i can clarify the point, the Battery on the car is the one fitted by lexus, but the R.A.C. engineer who looked at it when he came to get me started and said he thought it was not the correct one for the car so he checked his computer and the R.A.C. recommend a more powerfull Battery, details of which i cant remember now. I dont want to "invalidate my warranty" on the car by fitting the one the R.A.C. suggest so i may chose to wait untill that has expired.

It continues to be a problem.

Hope that helps.

G7UHF.

Yes to clarify, the R.A.C. engineer and myself belive the Battery isnt up to the job.

You shouldn't really leave the car for long periods with the key in the engine run position when the engine is not running. You run the risk of overheating and damaging the coil packs (the things the sparkplugs are connected to) and other components which get energy supplied to them with the key in this position.

It's inconsiderate people like you with your flat batteries that keep all the Ford and Vauxhall motorists waiting for an RAC man to turn up when they break down.....keep up the good work ;)

• 3 weeks later...
HAD THE R.A.C. OUT AND THE GUY SAID THE BATTERY FITTED IS NOT THE ONE THEY RECOMMEND

Hi G7UHF - welcome to the club

are you saying that the RAC man said that Lexus have fitted a wrong Battery to all IS's?

or have you changed your Battery, and the RAC thought you made a bad choice?

Don't know if anyone saw 'rogue traders' last night did they ??

I just caught the end of it and it seems to me ....

anything the RAC say about duff batteries is to be treated with utter contempt :arrrggg-matey:

The patrols are under pressure to meet 'sales targets' ....

I ask you ... 'sales targets' ?? I thought they're supposed to be a service not a shop :angry:

Having said that, i've never had a problem with the rac ...

but then i've only ever called them to fix other peoples cars which i've been travelling in :D

Careful what you say about RAC, All there managers drive 200 sports so they know what they're on about OK. :angry:

If you've a problem with what was shown on the programme call this number 0800 0155 439. Should put you straight.

Two sides to every story :angry::angry:

Batteries and the RAC

Id left my car in business parking at heathrow, whilst in the US - when i came back some 2 weeks later - no juice. The RAC came out and gave me a jump (ooooer) I got to the ticket barrier , went to turn down the window and the car stalled! - I called rac again and they obliged - I had a 200 mile trip home (with jetlag - nice!) and figured the trip um the m40 would charge the Battery.

I needed fuel by warwick and pulled in for some only to find it wouldnt start again! - I called the RAC again! - and told them to bring me a Battery as i was convinced it was dead - the alternator seemed to be working. When he arrived, he put a Battery test on and said, whilst it was flat as a pancake, the Battery was fine it was that i was feeding it too much - It had an empty stomach and i was giving it a 5 course meal after starvation. He said when i eventually get home, put it on trickle charge and it will be fine.

He was right, its still fine today and he had the opportunity to sell me a Battery and didnt even suggest it. The RAC have been excellent in my experience.

Thanks for the support chaps, it's good to see not everyone one is taken in by this one sided crap on BBC.

Freedom of speech is a wonderful thing in this wonderful society of ours and people like Matt Alldim and his non speeking gimp of a sidekick should let people do their jobs and focus on the more important things in the world. :D

People like that were burnt at the stake in days gone by.......bring back the past.

Once again, thanks for your support.

Slightly off topic, but still on the subject of batteries. Some time ago, I read that if your car has electronic ignition (at the time I read it, not many did!), you should disconnect the - lead from the Battery if you are going to trickle charge it or else it might damage something. Is this still the case with modern cars? Unfortunately, my Battery is no more as I'm currently (no pun intended :blink: ) in between Lexus', because the one I bought turned out to be a "dud" :sad: , but I'm asking because the Battery on my wifes Mazda seems to have suffered as a result of the cold weather. It still works but the engine is slow to turn over in the mornings. As she only does short journeys, I thought I'd put it on charge overnight and top up the water to see if it would keep it going for a bit longer. If it doesn't work, I don't know whether to get a Mazda one (£65+VAT) or a 3rd party one. £65+VAT seemed a bit steep as I only paid £32inc VAT for my old Honda one when it went last year. Do the garages charge more during the winter because they know people will buy them?

Did you hear about the two madmen that got arrested for causing a disturbance, one thought he was a firework, the other thought he was a Battery. Apparently the police charged one of them , but let the other off. :yawn:

Don't know if anyone saw 'rogue traders' last night did they ??

I just caught the end of it and it seems to me ....

anything the RAC say about duff batteries is to be treated with utter contempt  :arrrggg-matey:

The patrols are under pressure to meet 'sales targets' ....

I ask you ... 'sales targets' ??  I thought they're supposed to be a service not a shop  :angry:

Interesting that Rogue Traders thing about RAC.

I too have generally found thew very good, but about 4 months ago, I had a problem starting my car, meaning I had to call the RAC out. It turned out to be something very simple - the immobiliser had kicked in and prevented me starting the car (doh!). Anyway, as soon as the RAC man came, the first thing he said to me was 'Blimey! That's a small Battery - bound to be the problem', to which I replied I'd never had a problem with the Battery, and then he got on with investigating the problem, and found it to be otherwise.

It never struck me at the time, but I did find it curious that he suggested the Battery was at fault before even touching the car...! Kinda somewhat made me wary though...

Asam