Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Is 220d/250

Posted this on the IS220d topic, but no replies - any views?

Running In -- that's a thought, what did Lexus say to you about that? I have seen the PDF and URL knocking about on another thread, but it's written in American...

Also - did the dealer mention that you should have an oil and filter change at 600-1000 miles?

This was the norm in the "olden" days. Of all the new cars I have ever bought since 1990 (except the A4) they have never recommended anything - just get in and drive...and I know the engines are built better and have been "Bench Pressed" at the factory...and don't need head bolts tightening any more (unlike Frankentein's monster)!

My understanding from Audi was that for the first 750 miles AT LEAST you don't want to Labour the engine - it can do more harm than revving it over 70% of the maximum (in this case 3700 RPM), which you also should not do when running in.

Then I was told you can gently increase the RPM up to the Red line if you really want to after the next 1250 miles, at the rate of an extra 200 RPM per 200 miles or so over a mix of Motorway or urban roads...making sure you don't sit on motorways/constant RPM for long periods...??

At 70 in 6th the 220d on the test drive was labouring, and you had to change to 4th or 5th to get going when overtaking, so mostly it's fifth gear I suppose. But that's not too bad, as it I kept forgetting it had six cogs anyway! It's one of the reasons I would never buy an ex-demo...(extreme you may think - )

Sounds all convoluted and complicated...hence my question :)

Anyway, here's a another positive review, though the "3 Car Comparo" shows some strange stuff in the 220d SE Spec...

http://www.newcarnet.co.uk/technical_Lexus...?serialno=28367

Running In -- that's a thought, what did Lexus say to you about that? I have seen the PDF and URL knocking about on another thread, but it's written in American...

Also - did the dealer mention that you should have an oil and filter change at 600-1000 miles?

This was the norm in the "olden" days. Of all the new cars I have ever bought since 1990 (except the A4) they have never recommended anything - just get in and drive...and I know the engines are built better and have been "Bench Pressed" at the factory...and don't need head bolts tightening any more (unlike Frankentein's monster)!

My understanding from Audi was that for the first 750 miles AT LEAST you don't want to Labour the engine - it can do more harm than revving it over 70% of the maximum (in this case 3700 RPM), which you also should not do when running in.

Then I was told you can gently increase the RPM up to the Red line if you really want to after the next 1250 miles, at the rate of an extra 200 RPM per 200 miles or so over a mix of Motorway or urban roads...making sure you don't sit on motorways/constant RPM for long periods...??

At 70 in 6th the 220d on the test drive was labouring, and you had to change to 4th or 5th to get going when overtaking, so mostly it's fifth gear I suppose. But that's not too bad, as it I kept forgetting it had six cogs anyway! It's one of the reasons I would never buy an ex-demo...(extreme you may think - )

Anyway, here's a another positive review, though the "3 Car Comparo" shows some strange stuff in the 220d SE Spec...

I think the book recommends a gentler driving style for the first 1000 km or so - basically don't rev to the red line or let the engine labour.

Hi Jamboo, meant to reply to your orignal thread, apologies but lots of work pressure at the moment.

To be honest, I don't know the answer and the dealer never mentioned anything. The manual is a bit vague other than leaving the car to idle for upto a minute prior to switching the engine off. Also, you mustn't over-rev the engine, I'm making sure that I don't go above 4000 rpm until first 1000 miles. Couple of times I forgot to change gear :blush: and the red ring came on to tell me to change.

Still loving the car ... so quiet on the motorway ... a really nice cruiser. Cant get mpg above 37 though :angry:

Re 'running in' this is hopefully to 'bed' all running parts to each other with as little wear included as poss.

Really a kind of final polish, the best way to polish metal is light pressure and a fair speed.

So no labouring of the engine at any point for the first 1000 miles and no redlining it!

Then oil change at 500 and a 1000 miles if you are particular.

Regular oil changes are the key to minimum engine problems' :winky:

What do you mean when you say "labouring the engine". I really don't understand this term.

When you're in the wrong gear and the revs are too low for that gear e.g. being in 5th gear at 10 mph. Not really a problem for the auto though.

What do you mean when you say "labouring the engine". I really don't understand this term.

When you're in the wrong gear and the revs are too low for that gear e.g. being in 5th gear at 10 mph. Not really a problem for the auto though.

Cheers Scott. Yes this wouldn't be a problem for the auto, man the changes are so sweet, you really cannot tell when it moves up a gear.

Cheers Scott. Yes this wouldn't be a problem for the auto, man the changes are so sweet, you really cannot tell when it moves up a gear.

Lucky man Saracen...how is the car bearing up? How many miles have you done, and have you stopped smiling?

The usual recommendation seems to be along the lines of go easy for the first 1000km (~750-800 miles) and then slowly start increasing up to full power but always making sure that the oil has got up to temperature first. Of course, it's not all about the engine -- other components such as the brakes also need to bed-in on new cars, so there are many reasons why going easy is the sane choice.

Alternatively, I've heard it suggested by a few people that only the first 100 miles are truly important, after which point, going easy can actually lead to problems and poor performance later down the line. The theory (as I understand it) goes that if you go very easy on the engine then the piston and cylinder surfaces end up all polished (which is apparently not necessarily good), and in some cases, piston rings don't seal correctly.

Personally I don't know, but I'd probably do a bit of both -- go easy for the first 4-500 miles, then work your way up to 750-800 miles, always making sure that you never over rev the engine if it's cold, and that you don't labour the engine too much.

If it's a turbo'd engine then you may also have to go easy on it on the way home too, as the turbo should generally be allowed to cool down before you turn the engine off as the oil pump would no longer be providing it with any lubrication. That said, most manufacturers are building in "turbo-timers" these days that keep the oil pump active for a few minutes after the engine goes off.

If it's a turbo'd engine then you may also have to go easy on it on the way home too, as the turbo should generally be allowed to cool down before you turn the engine off as the oil pump would no longer be providing it with any lubrication. That said, most manufacturers are building in "turbo-timers" these days that keep the oil pump active for a few minutes after the engine goes off.

Thanks Neimad, this may explain why Lexus recommend that you leave the engine idling for up to a minute when you get home.

Thanks Neimad, this may explain why Lexus recommend that you leave the engine idling for up to a minute when you get home.

The 220d is the only model with a turbo. The IS250 doesn't have one.... Mind you it would be some beast if it did!

Lucky man Saracen...how is the car bearing up? How many miles have you done, and have you stopped smiling?

The car is still amazing and I'm am loving it, loving it, loving it. :D The car has generated a lot of positive comments from colleagues at work and I'm still giving the occassional guided tour. And I love the way people stare at it as it glides past them or the way others try and crane their necks to get a better look when stopped in traffic.

So far I have done just over 1200 miles and I've had the car for nearly a month, and it still looks perfect, I've not reached Koshimes levels of super polishing but I did nip in to Halfords over the weekend to get some car cleaning bits and pieces.

This week I did my first long trip up to Manchester with three colleagues from work, the car certainly got its fair amount of Ooos and Aaaahs, as I demonstrated the keyless entry and start, the sat nav and the reversing camera (which I think got the most admiration of the day).

Despite some of the very positive comments for the IS in the press I still think Lexus has some way to go before, in people minds, they favourably compare it with BMW, Audi and Mercedes. I'm not bothered, I still think it is the best all-rounder on the road and fantastic value to boot. And in the future I'll be able to say "I had the foresight to drive one when everyone else thought they were rubbish!"

I finally saw another IS - in Aberdeen of all places! An then another in Coventry a few days later but they are still a very rare sight on the road.

Am I still smiling, what do you think? :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

The car is still amazing and I'm am loving it, loving it, loving it. :D The car has generated a lot of positive comments from colleagues at work and I'm still giving the occassional guided tour. And I love the way people stare at it as it glides past them or the way others try and crane their necks to get a better look when stopped in traffic.

So far I have done just over 1200 miles and I've had the car for nearly a month, and it still looks perfect, I've not reached Koshimes levels of super polishing but I did nip in to Halfords over the weekend to get some car cleaning bits and pieces.

This week I did my first long trip up to Manchester with three colleagues from work, the car certainly got its fair amount of Ooos and Aaaahs, as I demonstrated the keyless entry and start, the sat nav and the reversing camera (which I think got the most admiration of the day).

Despite some of the very positive comments for the IS in the press I still think Lexus has some way to go before, in people minds, they favourably compare it with BMW, Audi and Mercedes. I'm not bothered, I still think it is the best all-rounder on the road and fantastic value to boot. And in the future I'll be able to say "I had the foresight to drive one when everyone else thought they were rubbish!"

I finally saw another IS - in Aberdeen of all places! An then another in Coventry a few days later but they are still a very rare sight on the road.

Am I still smiling, what do you think? :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I have had 4x IS Lexi to date & my latest 250 attracts favourable comments/glances daily.Style/VFM/Build Quality are Light years in front of BumW! :driving:

Nice to hear you're doing so well...I've seen 4 so far, a silver one yesterday on the A43 (in the Roadworks) towards Northamptonshire in the morning, and 3 in Leicester (one silver and 2 black - though the Black one's in Oadby could have been the same car!!).

They don't half look gorgeous on the road in motion :wub: ....they'll start selling themselves soon...a heck of a lot of road presence...

Back on topic then, it's take it easy and make sure you cool that Turbo down... :D

• 2 weeks later...

Geez, I asked my dealer here in Australia about running the car in and he said, "Flog it, mate. Take it out over the holidays and drive the **** out of it." So I did, I drove it nearly 1500kms in four days, with the first trip in it being about 650kms in one hit.

I spoke to the guy about it when I got back and he didn't even ask if there were problems, he asked how I liked driving it. I'm upto about 4000kms now in the 6 weeks I've had it and I have started to notice a bit of wind noise on the driver's door that I might get them to look into.

Well- right now, am flogging the 250 on certain straight stretches of roads, although with the missus having gone over a few MASSIVE pot holes in Acton, wonder how the suspension/geometry is holding up (whilst trying to maintain a good clean car).

might precautionarly go over to dr bones for a geometry in early spring..

next trip tintagel for some semi long cruising/rallying

:driving: Forgive me if this is already well understood, but on Autos when running-in, it is prudent to avoid FULL Kick-down for the first 2000miles if you want to maximise oil consumption & ensure the whole drive-train is bedded -in correctly.On a similar tact, I never use the "Tiptronic" for the first 2k simply to guard against maximum revs.

Tel