Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

..not looking to do any major mods on the standard system but does anyone know the size of the sub on the parcel shelf? dont want to start pulling the car apart to find out but want to upgrade the woofer. Has anyone done it before?

Also, is there an in-built amplifier anywhere..?

Thanks. Oli.

amp is behind passenger side of the dashboard near the door.

I thought it was under the changer in the boot :blink:

Me thinks it is under the changer in the boot too. At least it was when I last had to remove my changer to retrieve fixing I dropped when fitting my new boot struts.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm curious to know the size and ohms of the Series I sub too.

I have a couple of 12" JL W0s in the loft that were from a previous install and it seems a waste to not be using at least one of them, along with the other kit up there.

The mk1 sub is a 12" and is a whoping 15 watts of power if I remember correctly.

Thats what was in my aristo. I first had a sony 12" sub which fitted ok. the problem is that not many make a free air sub these days and the aristo has an air purifier under the shelf so depth is very limited.

any sub would need extra power to drive it. I use to use an alpine amp with a high input function.

hope this helps.

The mk1 sub is a 12" and is a whoping 15 watts of power if I remember correctly.

Thats what was in my aristo. I first had a sony 12" sub which fitted ok. the problem is that not many make a free air sub these days and the aristo has an air purifier under the shelf so depth is very limited.

any sub would need extra power to drive it. I use to use an alpine amp with a high input function.

hope this helps.

Alpine used to make free to air subs, not sure if they still do, is the GS mk 2 a 10" sub, would changing the sub alone give much benefit over the standard one ?

I had all my speakers upgraded a while ago (GS Mk2) - the dealer reckoned with sub was perfectly fine and that there was little benefit in upgrading it.

i just feel the sub could do with a bit more bass from it, you can not really tell its on from the front if you get my drift.

I had all my speakers upgraded a while ago (GS Mk2) - the dealer reckoned with sub was perfectly fine and that there was little benefit in upgrading it.

i just feel the sub could do with a bit more bass from it, you can not really tell its on from the front if you get my drift.

Sure mate - each to their own.

I spent the money on upgrading the other speakres, which made a HUGE difference. The stock speakers are tiny and not very good at all. You can fit 6 inch speakers in the doors and a decent active crossover with decent tweeters helps too - the stock crossover is a simple capacitor

I spent the money on upgrading the other speakres, which made a HUGE difference. The stock speakers are tiny and not very good at all. You can fit 6 inch speakers in the doors and a decent active crossover with decent tweeters helps too - the stock crossover is a simple capacitor

what did you go for when you upgraded Rodders ?

MB Quart component in the front (inc crossovers and tweeters) and Kicker 2-way in the back. You can make 6inch speakers fit front and back - have to make an MDF mount but it's quite easy.

I put 8" vibe st80 in all four doors. Tweeters fitted exactly into stock holes. Fitted an 6mm mdf ring under the vinyl then packed it out with fiber glass filler then mounted a larger thickness mdf ring to the rear of door card and filled that then removed the stock enclosures and am going to fix a board to the door so the mdf ring on door card fits against it but at the moment it sounds good and no vibrations but will need to sound deaden the door skins as the move alot when you cank it up.

From the front they look like they are factory fitted.

i think my sub is on its way out, getting a bit of distortion from the bass, any one got a standard one they dont want any more?

Steve

there's one on eBay at the moment, not sure it will fit a GS, its a Mark Levinson one.

MB Quart component in the front (inc crossovers and tweeters) and Kicker 2-way in the back. You can make 6inch speakers fit front and back - have to make an MDF mount but it's quite easy.

take it made a big difference then ?

yes - massive difference

what are the part numbers of the speakers you went for, if it works well might take a look at this over the weekend.

thanks jon

I have no idea sorry - like I say MB Quart in the front and Kickers in the back. I'd suggest going to a decent ICe shop and seeing what you can get. You can deffo fit 6inch speakers in the doors - see what they suggest

yes - massive difference

what are the part numbers of the speakers you went for, if it works well might take a look at this over the weekend.

thanks jon

I have no idea sorry - like I say MB Quart in the front and Kickers in the back. I'd suggest going to a decent ICe shop and seeing what you can get. You can deffo fit 6inch speakers in the doors - see what they suggest

ok cheers, will look tomorrow.

thanks again