Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Manual Or Auto

Hey folks !!!

Like i've said before i have been reading the posts in the forum for awhile, and have thoroughly enjoyed everybody's comments especially regarding the new IS 250.

I was hoping to order a new IS250, although i test drove the SE-L which was superb, i really liked the Auto and paddle shift. However i was hoping the auto would be in the Sport, but i have just been told that the Auto will definitely not be an option in the Sport. I am due a test drive in the Sport this weekend, but i was hoping to ask a few of you guys which probably have more experience in this than me, which would you guys recommend, Auto or Manual?? Especially those who have either in the new IS250.

I have driven the Auto in the IS250 SE-L like i said, but those who have a manual IS250, what do you make of it??

Any comments or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

IMHO opinion it has to be manual all the way!! 'Working' the gearbox is what makes driving fun! :winky: But I guess it's all about what your trying to get from the car and what your driving style is like!

...also in the words of Mat C...auto's are ghay! :lol::lol:

well its really between the IS250 SE with auto, or IS250 Sport.

I would like the sport because of the extra stuff you get compared to the SE, but having tried the auto once i thought it was fantastic. I know the SE-L has the similar spec to the Sport, but i prefer the metal effect trim etc in the sport compared to the SE-L, also the 18" alloys too !!!

Hi

A few years ago after always having auto's I bought a new Manual car, a Volvo C70 T5, as the spec was really great and it was a great price, i.e. two tone leather, metalic, air con, very fast, etc. etc, but to be honest I regretted it from the first week. a nice car BUT not an auto!

I have just got a new IS250SE, auto, black with beige leather, my first Lexus, and have No regrets, the auto box is so smooth, one of the best I have ever hadout of Bmws.Mercs. etc, you can do all you need with the paddles if you so wish, but I just leave it the sport setting for most of the time.

Enjoy!!

Manual

=====

It's more fun to drive with manual but how long does that feeling last before you get tired ? 18" wheel definitely looks great but the ride is not that comfortable and the cost of tyre replacement and frequency is much higher due to bigger and larger surface area which get hot & wears easier. 16 or 17" is the right size in terms of cost & tyre wear. The only good thing is that the transmission which last a lot longer if you know how to use it properly.

Auto

===

Save all the hassle and enjoy the ride comfortably in all traffics condition. Save a bit of petrol in auto for today technology. You can always turn the Cruise Control on for long distance and relax without having the leg & bottom to suffer. More buyers and sale a lot quicker when it comes to resale your vehicle. The only down side is that extra cost of the Auto that you have to pay when buying the car.

I used to be a diehard fan of manuals till last year, when a problem with my left foot forced me to consider autos. At that time, my only experience of autos was American hire cars, which may be easy to drive but are like puddings. :yawn:

When I tried the IS300, I realised that it was possible to get an automatic that felt good to drive. As others have said, it's stress-free in traffic jams, and when you want to have fun, the sport setting or manual change buttons work really well.

I'm now converted!

I wish you luck with your choice.

IanB :D

I may have posted on this before - IMHO -

The manual is very very good on the 250. But the Auto is just much better. I have driven Auto's before (BM's, Merc's, even the Audi Multitronic CVT) but would normally only ever buy a manual. However, the Lexus Auto is the pick of the boxes. The way it changes gears etc is remarkable for a non-CVT type. It is seamless, and had they made an auto Diesel, I personally would have bought one without question.

No one normally buys a saloon Merc with a manual, not even the C55 AMG...'cos the auto's are so much better than the pondersous manuals. However, in the new IS, the Auto and Manual are both equally as good...but at £1000 it's a bargain!

I think they will hold onto some of that £1000 better too...

I may have posted on this before - IMHO -

The manual is very very good on the 250. But the Auto is just much better. I have driven Auto's before (BM's, Merc's, even the Audi Multitronic CVT) but would normally only ever buy a manual. However, the Lexus Auto is the pick of the boxes. The way it changes gears etc is remarkable for a non-CVT type. It is seamless, and had they made an auto Diesel, I personally would have bought one without question.

No one normally buys a saloon Merc with a manual, not even the C55 AMG...'cos the auto's are so much better than the pondersous manuals. However, in the new IS, the Auto and Manual are both equally as good...but at £1000 it's a bargain!

I think they will hold onto some of that £1000 better too...

With Auto you get the sport & paddlle shift mode,its much easier in most traffic situations,it is actually more economical than the manual,it incorporates a hill - start facility,the 6 speed box is 99% protected against the car being thrashed & long Continental journeys are an absolute doddle.My IS 300 was superb,the new IS

is even better ,the Box is even better than that in the current LS! :driving:

Auto or manual really depends on what kind of driver you are...If you like on the edge cornering then you need manual, Auto does not give me enough confidence to attack bends like i once did, but getting older now and more sensible.....but with an Auto i rule all junctions and roundabouts, Car is always in the right gear , won't bog or stall , if there's a gap floor it and i'm gone....love it...great feeling, your just about to get hooted but then they realise that your pulling away and can't complain....and when your in stop / start traffic it's just so dam easy ..... I have tiptronic but find that i seem to let it in fully auto mostly as does everything just right , if i'm flooring it she goes all the way to the red before changing, which leaves me to concentrate on the road and not the dials ....... brillant IMO :D

ok folks, i had a test drive in the IS 250 Sport.

First off, it looks damn good !!! As in every picture you probably see anyway, but the 18" alloys i think really suit the car.

Everything interior is just the same as the SE, which also has the metal effect trim.

As for the ride, ofcourse very smooth but i just felt it was lacking, i just didn't get that real sporty feel as you might with, do i dare say, a BMW.

A fantastic car in its own right, but compared to the auto i had driven a few months ago, the Sport manual just didn't do it for me, so i have decided to go for the SE with Auto + MM and probably add on 18" wheels too. I have to say despite having the bigger wheels the ride was still very smooth and i didn't notice any great difference in road noise etc.

Although the Sport comes with the added features as in the SE-L

- rain sensing wipers

- memory seats

- HID lights....... etc

i would have liked those features, but the auto takes precedence.

I was thinking of going for Black with beige leather interior.

Has anyone else added 18" wheels to their SE or SE-L, if so which ones did you go for??

I was gonna go for the ones on the sport, coz they probably look the best!!!

First off, it looks damn good !!! As in every picture you probably see anyway, but the 18" alloys i think really suit the car.

Everything interior is just the same as the SE, which also has the metal effect trim.

As for the ride, ofcourse very smooth but i just felt it was lacking, i just didn't get that real sporty feel as you might with, do i dare say, a BMW.

A fantastic car in its own right, but compared to the auto i had driven a few months ago, the Sport manual just didn't do it for me, so i have decided to go for the SE with Auto + MM and probably add on 18" wheels too. I have to say despite having the bigger wheels the ride was still very smooth and i didn't notice any great difference in road noise etc.

- rain sensing wipers

- memory seats

- HID lights....... etc

Has anyone else added 18" wheels to their SE or SE-L, if so which ones did you go for??

In France the IS250 comes in two flavours, Pack Executive (fully loaded, leather, wood, ML, Nav...) AND 17" wheels, Pack Sport (escaine setas , aluminium, ML, NAV,...) AND 18" wheels.

Because I wanted leather seats, I had to go for the Pack executive. In order to add the 18 " wheels that the IS requires, there are two options:

Lexus Pack Sport genuine parts 374 € each

Or auto part suppliers.

My choise went to Kosei RZ Seneica 1442 € for the pack of four. >> http://www.power-tuning.fr/fr/liaison_au_s.../p16500862.html

Hopefully that's how it will look:

is250_td.jpg

- rain sensing wipers

- memory seats

- HID lights....... etc

oh yes has to be auto.i think chunky 5spokes would look nice.

- rain sensing wipers

- memory seats

- HID lights....... etc

Nice one mate. Your colour choice means you are a cleaning freak...both'll be hard to keep tidy (both inside and out), and I still haven't found mud flaps for the IS. I think they look good on most cars - they give the sides a "grounding" effect, and oh yes they help keep it clean, especially in the winter!

just another quick question.

I was hoping to place an order for the SE this week, and was hoping to get some advice from you guys !!!

I'm sorry if has been asked before or if its a lame Q, but is there anything i should be weary of when ordering the car, anything i should ask for??

I was gonna ask to get the supraguard and floor mats etc.

but is there anything else??

Usually when i order something, i always realise later and think, oh damn should have asked for that !!!

Thanks again for any help

I was hoping to place an order for the SE this week, and was hoping to get some advice from you guys !!!

I'm sorry if has been asked before or if its a lame Q, but is there anything i should be weary of when ordering the car, anything i should ask for??

Usually when i order something, i always realise later and think, oh damn should have asked for that !!!

You should be able to get a discount, I got almost £600, Jamboo got closer to £1200 I think. I also got rubber mats, umbrella, flowers for the missus and Lexus bear for the kids. If you're pxing get the best deal on px then ask for the discount. The car comes with standard mats, the rubber mats sit on top of these.

Not sure about superguard, I'm not convinced it's worth the money.

Good luck!

You should be able to get a discount, I got almost £600, Jamboo got closer to £1200 I think. I also got rubber mats, umbrella, flowers for the missus and Lexus bear for the kids. If you're pxing get the best deal on px then ask for the discount. The car comes with standard mats, the rubber mats sit on top of these.

Not sure about superguard, I'm not convinced it's worth the money.

Good luck!

Good luck indeed...! I took the view that cash in my pocket was better, so went for the max discount I could get. Yes - £1147 :winky: to be precise. Check out the latest offers on the web (www.broadspeed.co.uk, www.drivethedeal.co.uk are good - "drivethedeal" the best...and you can register as anyone you like...not even entering a real email address).

Don't ask for this up front as you'll get less for your PEX, probably no flowers for the missus :duh: , no mats etc...use it when you feel confident you're getting somewhere and they are plain not budging on the pex (which is what happened to me).

Rubber mats is the one I missed out on, and others on this forum have said that the Supaguard is a Suparipoff and only worth £15! (DIY I would say with a good polish and wax - see Koshime's diary).

There are no mudflaps still for the IS, something you can normally get free on a new car, but again one I missed out on was the "push" for a free service pack (at least the first service) which is worth a cool £150ish.

Also, remember that if you take finance from them, do the same, they all have flexibility in the rates and earn a wad of commission. You can now get as low as 6.1% apr...and the dealers will match that to earn their commission...but they will charge you £00's for set up and doc fees that banks and buildo's won't. Take that into account.

Yes you MUST ask for at least the first service free of charge.More valuable than supaguard.I've been quoted £75 for supaguard inside and out from a guy who works during the day for a Volvo dealership. I'll get it done once i've got the car. A service is worth at least 150 quid.

My Lexus dealer matched the drivethedeal price (£1100 off the list price) and although the pt ex figure wasn't amazing it wasn't terrible either.Got the first service free as well :D

No other local dealer could match or beat the deal I was given.It pays to shop around.