Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dension Mp3

Hello all

I keep reading about this dension mp3 player which I really like the idea of, but I have a couple of problems.

Firstly, the ideal way to connect this to the satnav stereo I have in my gs300 is to use the phono lead connection. Does the satnav have an aux in I can connect to or do I have to use the FM modulator or is there another way.

The FM modulator is my least favorite way as it will only sound as good as a good reception radio station.

Also it does not seem to be able to sort the mp3's in any other way then the file name (not by artist or track etc.), is this correct? If so how do you organise them so you can find them but also be able to play a whole album at a time.

Many thanks

Roo

Hiya

I have the Dension unit in my car - which sounds like it's the same as yours.

There is NO AUX-in on the SatNav head unit, or the amp. I used the FM modulator - and while it does sound a little flatter than the CD channel, it's not too bad at all. There's a mod around for the preamp if you're brave (it involves removing a surface-mount capacitor) which alters the frequency response of the FM channel (I was not brave enough, but I'm very happy with the sound).

I installed the MP3 unit myself - it's very easy. Be careful with the power though - it can be a little sensitive on the Dension.

The unit uses MP3 ID tags to identify the track - you can customise the display to show artist, track, album etc etc etc. You organise your albums in folders on the hard drive and the machines sorts them out for you - great peice of kit.

I'd also strongly recommend ripping your MP3s at 320K

Yell if you need any help with this - I've had my car's audio in many bits loads of times.

Also I would suggest using different ripping software if you want to juggle around the way that you display / file your music - I currently use CDex which is fantastic, very easy to use and you can adjust the levels easily. You can also get Dr. Tag with which you can alter all the file names and how they are stored as for the albums when the software rips a CD it will save the whole album into its own file so all you do is use the knob on the Dension to scroll through your alpha list and click and hold on the ile to play the whole album.

It's really easy and a great piece of kit.

Si

Thanks guys, that sounds good, but I have one more question.

If you put the songs in folders by album, then how do you find a song if you don't remember which album it is from (i have about 6000 mp3's and can't remember which album a song is from, but I know I have it (for example))

Many thanks

Rupert

Ps. I don't like the idea of taking the dash out to run the cables so I think I will get it profesionally installed (I am not as brave as you Rodders!) :crying:

Thanks guys, that sounds good, but I have one more question.

If you put the songs in folders by album, then how do you find a song if you don't remember which album it is from (i have about 6000 mp3's and can't remember which album a song is from, but I know I have it (for example))

You'd prolly need to put the unit into your PC and search for the file - there's no "search" function (that I'm aware of) while it's in the car.

Hi

It is possible to add an aux input to a GS 300 amplifier. I did it on my 2002 so I could install a satellite radio without using a FM modulator.

I described the mod on the U. S. Lexus owners forum in the electroics section.

It works very well.

Is there satellite radio in the UK?

Larry

Hi

No satellite radio is not the same as digital radio.

In North America there are two satellite radio services: XM radio and Sirius radio. In both cases radio signals are broadcast from orbiting satellites. Each service broadcasts 100 channels with about 60 channels of music and 40 channels of news, talk, etc.

For those of us who live far away from urban centers and spend much time in our cars it is a wonderful technology. My sat radio even has BBC World service.

Since the signal is of CD quality I did not want to degrade it by going thru the FM or the tape deck. It was a lot of work to add the aux input but worth it to me.

Larry

Hi Larry

I guess the closest to Sat radio in the UK are the radio channels broadcast by BSkyB - generally only received via a TV-based decoder though, I'm not aware of any way to receive the audio in a car.

Would you mind posting (or emailing me) a link to your post re adding an AUX channel to your amp please - sounds interesting.

Cheers

Hi

I thought it would be easier to copy the whole post which appeared on the US Lexus site.

I just finished installing a Jensen Sirius Satellite radio in my 2002 GS300.

I did not use either a FM modulator or a cassette adapter which are the usual ways of adding a sat radio (or anything else) to an existing audio system. Instead, I broke into the wiring harness at the audio amplifier input and installed a new sat radio input. The audio amp input is now switched between AM/FM and sat radio by a relay. The relay is actvated whenever the sat radio is switched on. All the audio controls (treble, bass, balance, etc.) work just as in the AM/FM mode. I used blocking capacitors in the sat radio output because the factory AM/FM output is differential but the sat radio output is low side ground.

Is a that worth it? Probably not, but I am a nitpicker and the sound is better than the cassette adaptor I used temporarily.

I don't recommend this approach unless you have some facility for electronics.

I live in the remote mountains of west, were there is only one daytime radio station available, and it play country or religon. The Sirius is great, a good selection of music and no commercials.

This approch to an aux input will work for any external signal source if it has a level of 400-500 millivolts.

If any one is interested in the details. Just ask.

Larry

Sounds interesting Larry - would you be kind enough to email me the details please

I have a wiring schematic for my amp, but not a circuit diagram. Ideally I'd like to splice the Dension input onto the CD input as the FM channel on the Poinoeer system is attenuated in European models and sounds flat compared to the CD channel.

Thanks