• Travel whatever the distance
    • Too far on a 125cc motor bike
    • Idiot.... walk there if neccercery
    • Wait and see what future offers brings

go it alone !

you have the support of LOC and many other clubs

i am sure mark would be willing to sub-contract you

i am sure many others would, including STS :unsure:

good reputation is a mainstay in any business, and you`ve got that before you have started :D

go it alone !

good reputation is a mainstay in any business, and you`ve got that before you have started :D

I think Barrie has hit the nail on the head

go it alone !

I think Barrie has hit the nail on the head

Dead right! Go for it Dr B

Tony

I know the journey you are talking about I would not take that on every day. A bloke I am working with at the moment lives in Hemel and travels to Cheshunt, that is about half of Hemel to Blue Water and he hates it. It's either M25 or of thats blocked up try the "rat runs" with everyone else. On top of that I can't think of a good route avoiding Motorway or Dual Carriageway to get there.

I reckon that you could make a go of it yourself, how about you cut a deal where TDI help with the set up costs.

Often peeps here say 'go it alone'.... maybe i should.

DO IT THEN!!! :yawn:

'YOU TELLING ME!'... that's fighting talk...... :D

Wise word mate!.....

I'll be honest now, i never thought WIM would become so big... the site was intended to inform with the proviso that if needed contact me...... 1000's of emails later WIM has grown so wide and become so respected i am :o i even have cars coming from overseas for a geometry........ FKM is it that bad out there?

This next bit is between Tony9r and myself.... all other people reading this post please look away!

Fact is Tony i cannot cope :crybaby: 10-20 emails per day UK..... the World mail i delete... :crybaby: hours in the maths addressing problems leave little family time..... so i had! a decision, continue in my open one to one format or 'lock the site' and deny direct contact...

140 distressed mails a week cannot be ignored.. and it's not.... So open she stays..... :D

Often peeps here say 'go it alone'.... maybe i should.

DO IT THEN!!! :yawn:

'YOU TELLING ME!'... that's fighting talk...... :D

Wise word mate!.....

I'll be honest now, i never thought WIM would become so big... the site was intended to inform with the proviso that if needed contact me...... 1000's of emails later WIM has grown so wide and become so respected i am :o i even have cars coming from overseas for a geometry........ FKM is it that bad out there?

This next bit is between Tony9r and myself.... all other people reading this post please look away!

Fact is Tony i cannot cope :crybaby: 10-20 emails per day UK..... the World mail i delete... :crybaby: hours in the maths addressing problems leave little family time..... so i had! a decision, continue in my open one to one format or 'lock the site' and deny direct contact...

140 distressed mails a week cannot be ignored.. and it's not.... So open she stays..... :D

OK Tony,

Wheels in Motion is your baby... this "fortunately/unfortunately" is your work.

Mate, we all work 9-5, 8-5, 6-6 etc... but at the end of the day it's for you to decide it's time to STOP!

So you decide to set up shop on your own. What time you gonna start, what time you gonna finish? Easy mate... when you say so!

How many customers you gonna see today? How ever many you want!

What time you gonna have lunch? Whenever you want!

Mate, me... I'm still there after 3 years of 8-5 working, out on site, answering the phone, doing the paperwork, paying the bills, ordering materials, pricing jobs... the list goes on.

I know you are getting mail from people in distress and want to help them, but you can decide what happens next - beit reply with a set-up solution, or arrange for a visit, or you just have to turn them away! Keep your work "IN" work, not at home for the evenings and weekends.

It's a bad thing to have to turn work down... I've learned to. In the beginning you take on everything that is thrown at you "I want it ASAP"... "Yes of course sir", sorry mate, that doesn't work when you're on you're own!

You make it how YOU want it - simple.

I know it's a scary thought about starting out on your own, but come on... how exiting does it feel too?!?!?

I worked in a factory as an employee for 20 years and 'spose I kinda "got used to it", but in the last month of employment when I found out the company was moving just 20 miles away, I opted for voluntary redundancy and set my mind to go it alone - all I had to do was go see the council, sign up for rent on a small unit, visited an accountant, and walked in 2 weeks later with my overalls, welding mask and 15 year old TIG set. Set up my PC in the office over the loo and printed off 100 flyers to post around the local factories, farms, houses etc., and waited. 'Twas a gamble I know, but the phone did start ringing and the orders started to flow!

Mate, you only live once... at least give it a try!

Quote Tony9r

Currently i work 8-6 then a 7-11 in WIM....(yes i eat dinner reading mail) all day on my day off......all day on Sunday.

WIM as i explained i never expected to become so intense, as the requests grow so did the time and the maths.

Writing set-ups for modified cars is easier now since i use a template and i only need to install the settings... the procedure for the shop.

Latest evolution, Geometry positions for kit cars in development..... this particular manufacturer has completed development and the car drives 'Pants' .... major downer!

From data and pictures alone i have identified the error and the car being re-designed.... this time (if successful) i will be paid.

All my career i have worked without support so i have never had a measure of 'how good or bad i am!'

People have asked me 'HOW' can i resolve a geometry problem by email...... never even seen or driven the car?

Well it's not easy but a few questions bounced back at the owner funnels the possibilities down, and the fact that the problem must be severe then my target is normally big.

Anyhoo in reply before i started droning on was 'I'm gonna do it'... next week i will contact the Council and get an idea of what/were/and how much.... any idea what area i need to ask for? would it be 'starter premises' or small business units....

Anyhoo in reply before i started droning on was 'I'm gonna do it'... next week i will contact the Council and get an idea of what/were/and how much.... any idea what area i need to ask for? would it be 'starter premises' or small business units....

EXCELLENT :D

Basically find out what's available, how much (rent + rates), tell them you will be working on cars - as my council in particular are a bit picky on vehicular activities in their premisis...

My place is a 600 square foot small business unit, which I find is an ideal size - nice big main shutter door, loo, sink, power... and I think more important for you is to ideally get a location in a business estate which offers ample parking off the premisis too.

Do all your homework first - location, costs, equipment, insurances... then once you have a good idea of what's involved, make an appointment to go talk to a potential accountant, he/she will give you all the advice you will need and more - this "shouldn't" cost you a penny!

Like I said before mate, it's not gonna hurt to just find out - you may like what you hear... you may not, but at least you can then say "Yes, this is for me!" or "OK, I'll stick with what I've got!"

All I can say is go which ever way your gut tells you, it may work - it may not... unfortunately there's only one way to find out :winky:

EXCELLENT :D

Basically find out what's available, how much (rent + rates), tell them you will be working on cars - as my council in particular are a bit picky on vehicular activities in their premisis...

My place is a 600 square foot small business unit, which I find is an ideal size - nice big main shutter door, loo, sink, power... and I think more important for you is to ideally get a location in a business estate which offers ample parking off the premisis too.

Do all your homework first - location, costs, equipment, insurances... then once you have a good idea of what's involved, make an appointment to go talk to a potential accountant, he/she will give you all the advice you will need and more - this "shouldn't" cost you a penny!

Like I said before mate, it's not gonna hurt to just find out - you may like what you hear... you may not, but at least you can then say "Yes, this is for me!" or "OK, I'll stick with what I've got!"

All I can say is go which ever way your gut tells you, it may work - it may not... unfortunately there's only one way to find out :winky:

If you were me, in this new area, with (no) other examples to lean on, construct WIM as an actual concern?

Distress i know is massive even after the event... established companies reports have shown appalling results and sadly little me is requested to validate these results...would you pursue this area.... pitiful from the owner, hostile from the shop....

Drone over...... this reply is boring me?..... Solid advice once again team LOC..... actions speak louder....spose the next entry is down to me!

Change is often hard, more so when you have been doing something for a long time.

Often the thought about leaving is where will the next job come from, what will they do next.

This problem often comes for the people that dont really know anything and just hold in there at there job, they disapear into the woodwork and have no real skills, they just manage to talk there way through until the next problem they create comes along and the try to get out of that too, or more likely someone where they work redo's the work for them without them knowing it.

Then there are the people who have the knowledge, that work hard, that strive to be the best at there job. There reputations precede them. People contact them for work they need doing.

My Dad worked for a big firm for 29 years where he did alot of work with alot of people. To leave the place you have worked for 29 years in a secure job is a big risk for someone paying a mortgage with people to support. He applied for voluntry redundancy when the company was taken over and wasn't sure if he'd get it as there were some more senior people choosing to apply for it as well. In the end they accepted this and he left and he felt he had made the right choice, he felt if he stayed on another 5 - 8 or so years it could make it harder to get another job because of the age he'd be then.

He had been given details from someone he used to work with about a consultancy firm that person now worked for and my Dad was then employed by them for 5 years. He then had a year or so off, and we now run our own company. He still does work for the previous company when he is available, as well as other work thats available depending on timeing of jobs. I believe he enjoys the challange of what he is doing now more. There is more paper work involved, eg with tax returns etc compared to having another company doing it all for you, but you can hire someone if you need/want someone else to do this for you.

The point is, his job is more enjoyable, he gets payed more and he can, to an extent, pick and choose the work he does as well as when he takes holidays etc.

Its not the easiest thing to do, and saving some money so your family can eat for a few months, pay the bills etc first would be a good idea.

You seem to have the knowledge and your reputation should get you business on its own, indeed from what you say it already does. All you need now is somewhere with the equipment neccessary to carry it out for yourself.

Whatever you think is right, good luck on the path you choose.

But, wouldn't you like a job you WANT to go to every day rather than one you HAVE to go to every day.

I know i'd rather trust someone who knows what they are doing and has real enthusiasm to do the best job even if it takes them a few minutes longer.

Rather than someone rushing the job because they cant wait to get it done so they can go home and dont pay attention to all the details, perhaps not checking what they have done properly etc because the place they work slowly sapped there enthuisiasm.

You might want to get a cup of tea before you read all that. :duh:.

QUOTE: MARK H.

In depth hand on heart reply.. and i thank you for that!

You are correct in your evaluation of my circumstance, mentally my feet are stuck in concrete at STS.

Never did i think WIM would expand in it's customer base like it has...... simply this site was intended as information...... then one to one email if necessary..... 1000's of emails later i realized the problem is bigger than i thought.

Remember i already have a 8-6 job WIM is only my web site!

So based on this distress and my reputation there becomes a time to think ( i could make this into a business )

My work at home like 'now' in my own time is OK, but the work i set via WIM at STS is always under pressure relative to time.... this i don't like.... and it gets on my tit's

There has been corporate interest in the evolution of WIM and opportunities to make it a leader.... after a honest think by myself i do need support so a collaboration i think is a wise move...

Next step, Monday i have a meet with a Business Adviser, specializing in developments.