Have i done the right thing?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Console me please......

• Honest and up front
    • Travel whatever the distance
    • Too far on a 125cc motor bike
    • Idiot.... walk there if neccercery
    • Wait and see what future offers brings

TDI plc offered me work to set geometry on in house Marques and theorise geometry for future racing ventures.. well that's me to a tee... but i have a problem.... 'DISTANCE'

We are some 60 miles apart and my only form of transport is my 125cc bike..... i do not like Motorways since i value life.. so traveling would involve the A roads.

My conundrum was this....'GO' for it... happy days, work in an area i really enjoy.... then?

I realized after the honeymoon period the traveling would become a real issue... Mark is running a clinical business and me turning up late day after day due to the traffic would at some point become an issue..... yes i could leave home earlier but then tiredness would affect my skills.

Relocation is out of the question due to my children's secondary schooling.

So that's it...... 'Pants' or what!....

What do you think?

TDI plc offered me work to set geometry on in house Marques and theorise geometry for future racing ventures.. well that's me to a tee... but i have a problem.... 'DISTANCE'

We are some 60 miles apart and my only form of transport is my 125cc bike..... i do not like Motorways since i value life.. so traveling would involve the A roads.

My conundrum was this....'GO' for it... happy days, work in an area i really enjoy.... then?

I realized after the honeymoon period the traveling would become a real issue... Mark is running a clinical business and me turning up late day after day due to the traffic would at some point become an issue..... yes i could leave home earlier but then tiredness would affect my skills.

Relocation is out of the question due to my children's secondary schooling.

So that's it...... 'Pants' or what!....

What do you think?

Personally I would go by my gut feelings. And if I thought the travelling would become an issue, for myself and my employer I would steer clear of it. You're not the only one who don't like travelling to and from work - that's why I only work 2 1/2 miles away from home :winky:

Best you have a job, than get sacked from it !!

There WILL be other chances, so stay patient and keep fishing.

mightn't be able to afford a bigger bike...

although maybe asking your would-be boss if you could work different hours mightn't be a bad idea - i.e. outside of rushhour - so work from 11:00 till 8 or 9 or something...

anyway - nobody can tell you what's right and wrong here. yes, it was an excellent opportunity for you but at the end of the day who knows what's in store!

Chin up - it's not the end of the world. :)

if its a job your really want, and lets face it your very good at it (most of LOC would vouch for that) I think you should travel, there are guys that i work with that drive from maidstone to basingstoke every day, to do a job that they dont really like, But I if your gut feelings says that its too far i am positive for a guy with your skils there will be other opertunities, best of luck with your desision

Tony,

If I was in your shoes, I would take the job, trade in the 125 for a bigger bike, and go on the fastest route, including motorways.

BMW make the best tourers, and are really comfy with superb weather protection. My brother has one, and frequently travels from Aberdeen down to Poole in Dorset in a day (600 miles?). Mostly on duals and motorways. He says he feels remarkably fresh when he arrives. He doesn't do it in the winter, but then he's over 50! For a spring chicken like you, a mere 120 miles a day should be no bother, as long as you have the right bike, proper bike gear, and be prepared to take full advantage of motorways. As you'll know, traffic jams aren't a real problem as long as you ride sensibly, so you should rarely arrive late for work.

This would allow you to take the job, make you relaxed and happy, and still give you quality time with your family.

It's your choice at the end of the day, but I sense from your posts here and on the Gold Forum that you really want this job.

Good luck with whatever decision you make.

Cheers,

IanB :D

Assuming you're not riding a 125 because you haven't passed your test (which is about the only reason I could think of to ride one), i'd get a bigger bike.

I do a 90 mile round trip to work with a 14 hour work day as well for 4 days then drive/ ride back home 190 miles, only to start again in another 4 days. The driving/ riding is a bit of an issue (I wouldn't recommend an early fireblade for commuting long distance :duh: ) but I enjoy my job so I think it's worth it.

You'll just have to weigh it up yourself but good luck whatever you decide to do.

Assuming you're not riding a 125 because you haven't passed your test (which is about the only reason I could think of to ride one), i'd get a bigger bike.

I do a 90 mile round trip to work with a 14 hour work day as well for 4 days then drive/ ride back home 190 miles, only to start again in another 4 days. The driving/ riding is a bit of an issue (I wouldn't recommend an early fireblade for commuting long distance :duh: ) but I enjoy my job so I think it's worth it.

You'll just have to weigh it up yourself but good luck whatever you decide to do.

I had an early Fireblade in my late 40's and found it quite OK for 300 mile round trips to Knockhill. Somehow, the buzz it gave me took my mind off any backache :D :D :D

But I agree it wouldn't be suitable for daily travel.

IanB :D

Thanks team for the solid replies...

Working at TDI would be intense as you can imagine...... i had a good....long..(two weeks)...quiet..... think about whether i am up for the task... tiss heavy on the mind exacting these areas so subliminal denial was possible......this week i also had a manufacture of a hand made sports marque who contacted me to help evolve geometry for their latest problematic model....

by email

over the phone

never even seen this car

sorted

History dictates that the job is well within my means......but 60 miles there and 60 miles back is not..... as i said i wont use Motorways on a daily basis because any time soon on a bike you end up Dead.... the A roads obviously extend the traveling distance and this would be detrimental to the job offer

I suppose if i am honest with me! i know TDI is out of reach in a format that permits me to serve in a 9 to 5 fashion.... and i am gutted to lose this offer.... desperately i want to move from my current employ but i wont lie to TDI and mask my traveling issues just to except the offer.

cats up!

If i was you i would stay where you are and find work close to your family ,you never know when you will be needed to rush to an emergency etc .i assure you your family is more important than any job.you will find plenty of work mate with your skills .its only a job ,sometimes they seem good but you may not like it or they may finish you etc .nothing against tdi i am just talking in general.

good luck.

what a lot of people dont realise is that this is a 60 mile journey across london !!

I do a 6 mile journey to work, somedays it takes 10 mins , others it takes 45 mins :duh:

and i have the advantage of leaving after rush hour traffic, this is 6 miles from the M25 so its not even proper london

i think its a good decision to way up the facts like it sounds tony has done

and make a good long term decision, and not one based on a golden opportunity

but the situation needs a lot of thought as a bad decision will affect his life and family

i personally wouldnt want to travel that far ;)

What about the train, is there a line from Hemel to ......

yep about three changes.....and 2.5 hour journey !!!!

thats if they are running :o

why cant you move house? catch a train?

I mean, if this is, 'a job of a lifetime' as you say it is, your an idiot to turn it down just because its a bit of a commute...

I did an hour each way a day for 8 months for a good job - my missues relocated to another country for the job of her dreams..

If you really wanted it, you'd find a way....

what a lot of people dont realise is that this is a 60 mile journey across london !!

I do a 6 mile journey to work, somedays it takes 10 mins , others it takes 45 mins :duh:

and i have the advantage of leaving after rush hour traffic, this is 6 miles from the M25 so its not even proper london

i think its a good decision to way up the facts like it sounds tony has done

and make a good long term decision, and not one based on a golden opportunity

but the situation needs a lot of thought as a bad decision will affect his life and family

i personally wouldnt want to travel that far ;)

What about the train, is there a line from Hemel to ......

yep about three changes.....and 2.5 hour journey !!!!

thats if they are running :o

Mark gave me plenty of space to think things out..... even the offer of relocation.

TDI would be a dream made true.... but i wont 'Billy bull ****' and say all will be well..... i wont!

Traveling would become an issue...

1: For me in distance, on a bike, in the dark. on the A roads, in the winter

2: For TDI, my performance, and inevitable lateness

No offence intended, but for a person who knows cars so well....how come you don't drive one.......?

60 miles in a comfortable auto on good roads might be worth it....

but if it means that you get home wrecked ......well then maybe not

but....sometimes you just gotta take a chance....

If i was given that kind of opportunity i would have given it a trial run. Sure if it didn't work out you'd be out of a job.... But you may have 'ifs' and 'buts' for a while

60miles to me is ok, and if the employer saw it as a struggle maybe they would have negotiated working hours?

Had the pay been a considerable increase i would of jumped at it too!

Maybe your will finding it harder to leave STS more than you think?

go for it tony, 60 miles isn't a lot really, i spent nearly 6 months travelling from tamworth to manchester and back every day. decided i liked the job and so moved to manchester. so maybe try the travelling, try the job and if it's going well consider moving? good jobs where you are happy are hard to come by. i would defo relocate for my job, already have twice!

Thanks everyone for all the replies and votes..... seemingly all topics in the poll cast very close results.... this kind of helps me since it shows many here also would have trouble making a decision.

Second to air my children are #1 so relocation is a 'NO'

My personal Nemesis is control... :unsure: I Absolutely, Desperately, Passionately 'HATE' Motorways... I cannot ride/drive without wondering what 'Bluuuuuur' passing is going to kill me!

In my mind the Motorway is described as....

1: Static... after a week or so in the jam consider cutting the grass growing around the tyres...

2: Dynamic.. (UK spelling 'DIE NAM..IC')

Hence my use of the A roads.....

Often peeps here say 'go it alone'.... maybe i should.